2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

CjC wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 21:31
SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 18:39
CjC wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 18:34
@Smallsoldier it must be a long morning😛

Ok to add some confusion
Portimao was 40 degrees C
Spain was 32 degrees.... Ferrari was stronger in the cooler of these two conditions🙈
10:39AM over here 👀
:lol: Yea I recall you saying you are in America👍🏻

I’ve had another thought, has the lack of a normal weekend helped Ferrari/ hindered Mclaren?
As we know Mclaren can benefit from having a strong Friday night data analysis and make changes for the Saturday. Where as at Silverstone parc ferme came in to effect after quali on Friday if I’m not mistaken?
Hard to tell really… I guess all teams were on the same situation for the GP and it may have helped some more than others in that regard, but impossible to know who may have made more out of the weekend with a little more time to prepare… Been said that, the MCL35M seemed to be well balanced and with good enough pace (comparing to the rest of the midfield and excluding Ferrari)… So I don’t think that with a normal weekend schedule the pace difference would have been that much different.

The temperatures played a big role in my opinion… Once it was known that it was going to be hot, I read a couple of analysis that seemed to give Ferrari a boost because of it… After watching Mercedes GP Debrief, they mentioned that on the Medium Tires they were overheating those (which would explain why Mercedes also seem to like cooler temperatures more), while Ferrari seemed to have the Mediums in a great operating Window (Leclerc and Sainz were still having personal bests with very old Mediums after most of the field had pitted)… On the Hard Tires though, both Mercedes and Mclaren seemed to have better pace.

My take so far is that Mclaren seems to be able to put more energy on the tires compared to Ferrari, when the temperatures are high, this means that McLaren is forced to make more compromises (setup / pace) to avoid overheating them, while for Ferrari is the opposite, they struggle with energizing their tires, therefore in warmer temperatures they can push them a bit harder without overheating them, while in cooler temperatures they either can’t have them in the right window or are forced to increase downforce levels in an effort to place more energy into them.

At the end though, I would expect Ferrari to now understand better how to manage their tires in cold conditions to avoid situations like France and they will improve, but with limited development potential and the need to focus resources for next year’s car, how much they can overcome it will be the biggest question… The performance pendulum will keep going back and forth, based on track layout, temperatures, etc for the rest of the season… What is helping McLaren and the key for the fight for P3 will be consistency… Been able to execute like at Silverstone, where they had lesser pace than their rivals, but manage to bring an important amount of points and maximize the result on those races where the performance is in their favor (which is something that Ferrari hasn’t really managed to do yet)… McLaren has been great at minimizing the impact on the points from those GP’s were they didn’t had the pace to be comfortably ahead.

SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 18:28
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... s/6634634/

McLaren to get upgrade boost for Hungary, in fight with Ferrari. Sounds like the good old days! Hopefully it’ll be for P1 in the near future.
Seidl mentioned several weeks ago that updates will come to the car until Hungary, we can expect this to be the last update of the season… I wouldn’t expect anything major though, but continue the small by steady development of the package they have had until now.

JPower

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 22:15

The temperatures played a big role in my opinion… Once it was known that it was going to be hot, I read a couple of analysis that seemed to give Ferrari a boost because of it… After watching Mercedes GP Debrief, they mentioned that on the Medium Tires they were overheating those (which would explain why Mercedes also seem to like cooler temperatures more), while Ferrari seemed to have the Mediums in a great operating Window (Leclerc and Sainz were still having personal bests with very old Mediums after most of the field had pitted)… On the Hard Tires though, both Mercedes and Mclaren seemed to have better pace.

My take so far is that Mclaren seems to be able to put more energy on the tires compared to Ferrari, when the temperatures are high, this means that McLaren is forced to make more compromises (setup / pace) to avoid overheating them, while for Ferrari is the opposite, they struggle with energizing their tires, therefore in warmer temperatures they can push them a bit harder without overheating them, while in cooler temperatures they either can’t have them in the right window or are forced to increase downforce levels in an effort to place more energy into them.
The Ferraris were still quicker on hard tires than the McLarens this past race, otherwise I agree with your assessment.

SmallSoldier

JPower wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 04:20
SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 22:15

The Ferraris were still quicker on hard tires than the McLarens this past race, otherwise I agree with your assessment.
Should have been more specific… Better pace on the Hards “compared to the Mediums”, not compared to Ferrari.

Although, once Hamilton overtook Lando I’m pretty sure he just managed his pace at that point of the race… With Daniel in a big battle with Sainz and plenty of time to them, he probably cruised to the end

_cerber1

We have the most worn out motors :o :D

runningmanz

Wow Dan said on unboxed he had hayfever from lap 12 during the race. His eyes looked watery after it. I get hayfever myself and it's a mongrel with those watery eyes. Good bloody effort to hold off Sainz in that condition.

Just_a_fan

runningmanz wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 17:12
Wow Dan said on unboxed he had hayfever from lap 12 during the race. His eyes looked watery after it. I get hayfever myself and it's a mongrel with those watery eyes. Good bloody effort to hold off Sainz in that condition.
I'm surprised he doesn't take something for hayfever. I take a one-a-day tablet during the summer because it's horrible when you get an attack of it, and I do a lot driving for work. Unless of course there's concern about something in the tablet being a banned substance.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

the EDGE

“ McLAREN EXPECTS TO HAVE KEY F1 FACILITY DEFICIT UNTIL 2024”

https://the-race.com/formula-1/mclaren- ... ntil-2024/

That’s a real pity, I was hoping the wind tunnel would be up & running in time to develop the MCL 37

Still I guess it’s better to be ready for the MCL38 than not at all. Hopefully the can be up & running at least in time for some in-season development on the 37

CjC
CjC

I think I would have preferred a ‘normal’ weekend for Monza

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... gOZ2Q.html
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

the EDGE wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 21:19

That’s a real pity, I was hoping the wind tunnel would be up & running in time to develop the MCL 37

Still I guess it’s better to be ready for the MCL38 than not at all. Hopefully the can be up & running at least in time for some in-season development on the 37
Not idea about the wind tunnel.... does that mean Stroll racing will get their wind tunnel up before Mclaren do?

It’s good news about the CFD already being online👍🏻

the EDGE

CjC wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 21:58
the EDGE wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 21:19

Not idea about the wind tunnel.... does that mean Stroll racing will get their wind tunnel up before Mclaren do?

It’s good news about the CFD already being online👍🏻
I’m glade you pointed that out, I didn’t even see that last part of the story

I can’t see how AM can commission & build a wind tunnel quicker than McLaren's project that was started over 2 years ago (albeit interrupted of course)

CjC
CjC

Yea I saw scrabbling around trying to find a shred of good news :lol:

Otmoam guesstimates mid 2023
https://www.planetf1.com/news/aston-mar ... nd-tunnel/

the EDGE

CjC wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 22:20
Yea I saw scrabbling around trying to find a shred of good news :lol:

Otmoam guesstimates mid 2023
https://www.planetf1.com/news/aston-mar ... nd-tunnel/
I remember McLaren saying it takes time to fine tune/prove the wind tunnel once the hardware is built, so if it’s going to be online for the development of the 2024 charger then I guess they could be completed around the same time, maybe McLaren's could be slightly earlier

M840TR

We really won’t be, in our opinion, caught up on our infrastructure until the 2024 car comes out.
Sounds to me like it would be functional come early 2023 in order to build the 2024 car.

SmallSoldier

M840TR wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 23:58
We really won’t be, in our opinion, caught up on our infrastructure until the 2024 car comes out.
Sounds to me like it would be functional come early 2023 in order to build the 2024 car.
I read it in a similar way