Will Covid 19 impact 2022 season?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan

Re: Will Covid 19 impact 2021 season?

Well, what you know - the big pro-Ivermectin trial, cited by some in favour of whacko remedies, was fraudulent with the authors making stuff up.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... l-concerns

Real trials are still on going.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

El Scorchio

It will be interesting to see what, if any feedback or learnings there are from the British GP weekend, given it was a test event for the UK. FWIW I wouldn't have felt comfortable in such a big crowd.

I think almost every country will eventually have to go through the stage the UK is going through right now which is unlocking with the acceptance that cases will surely rise, but with the question of how this affects serious illness, hospitalisation and death given the vaccination programme. The rest of Europe is very lucky they will be able to study this and learn from what works or does not work.

The sad truth is that this won't 'end' any time soon. We will just have to suppress it the best we can until better and better treatments and maybe an absolute cure could one day be made available globally. (As an aside, people treating 'freedom day' as 'Covid is over' day are absolute irresponsible idiots and putting themselves and other people in peril, but that's just my personal opinion)

adrianjordan

El Scorchio wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 15:14
It will be interesting to see what, if any feedback or learnings there are from the British GP weekend, given it was a test event for the UK. FWIW I wouldn't have felt comfortable in such a big crowd.

I think almost every country will eventually have to go through the stage the UK is going through right now which is unlocking with the acceptance that cases will surely rise, but with the question of how this affects serious illness, hospitalisation and death given the vaccination programme. The rest of Europe is very lucky they will be able to study this and learn from what works or does not work.

The sad truth is that this won't 'end' any time soon. We will just have to suppress it the best we can until better and better treatments and maybe an absolute cure could one day be made available globally. (As an aside, people treating 'freedom day' as 'Covid is over' day are absolute irresponsible idiots and putting themselves and other people in peril, but that's just my personal opinion)
FWIW I think the seeming move towards daily testing for possible contacts, rather than isolating and lockdowns, will see better compliance and could actually help control the virus more.

From what I understand there are still trials ongoing to try and develop a literal point of care test that gives immediate results, rather than waiting 30 minutes with the LFT. That would again mean even better ability to test at mass gathering events and the like.

It will not surprise me though if we see some restrictions again this winter, but hopefully beyond that we'll be able to get back to life as normal and vaccines and treatments will mean that Covid-19, whilst a serious virus, is something we can love with just as we do with other serious illnesses.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

nzjrs

Hamilton thinks he has 'Long Covid' https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/58050499

Jolle

nzjrs wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 22:52
Hamilton thinks he has 'Long Covid' https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/58050499
It wouldn’t surprise me. After I had COVID, I am feeling pretty well until I try to really push my body. Like the performance ceiling is a lot lower. Where I could peddle 250 watts for half an hour before, I struggle to keep 175 for 20 minutes, while 150 feels as easy as before.

NL_Fer

nzjrs wrote:
He really look bad when the champagne party started and Ocon needed to support him standing on the stage for the photo. Unable to wave the crowds.

Manoah2u

NL_Fer wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 23:05
nzjrs wrote:
He really look bad when the champagne party started and Ocon needed to support him standing on the stage for the photo. Unable to wave the crowds.
looked like he was about to faint even.

I'll join in the crowd of people whom actually have had covid, and it hit me hard, and i'm still having fitness troubles.
Yes, i have been sick a few years ago and my immune system is probably 'damaged' from all the crap i had to endure just to prevent being buried a few feet under the ground - but nevertheless, before contracting Covid i could sleep without waking up in the night gasping for air from time to time, i had no problems walking up the stairs, and had no problems running. Now, i am regularly tired and still tired after having sufficient sleep.

If he DOES have permanent lung covid - or at the very least 'permanent damage', as i mentioned in another thread, this is very interesting in judging his will and capabilities. It also could explain why contract talks last year took so long: perhaps he was afraid or thought he couldn't recuperate from it enough to maintain a winning athlete.

it would also be interesting to look into other drivers having had covid.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

DChemTech

If Hamilton indeed has long Covid, that would really be a bummer. I hope the flipside then at least is that it puts long covid on the radar of a wider audience. I've always been baffled how little emphasis is put on the (risk of) long covid. The argument to convince youngsters to abide to all the regulations was always "you may kill your grandparents"... rarely "you are very likely to survive, but you may substantially compromise your health and stamina for months or years to come.. do you want to take that risk"?
Also in the economic evaluations were always of lockdown-costs vs. lives (or live-years) saved. I've not seen them regarding lockdown costs vs. costs of long-term healthcare, in case X% of people loses Y% of their productivity for Z years.

Of course, X, Y and particularly Z were very difficult to determine early on and still are. We don't know whether long covid is a matter of months, years or a lifetime, as covid has not been around for years or lifetimes. But the risk of long covid was signalled relatively early, including in younger populations, and with such potentially large but yet unquantifiable risks, a bit of caution may have been in order. But no, rather than applying restraint, places like the Netherlands decided to quickly waive restrictions, and allow unvaccinated/poorly vaccinated youngsters to crowd clubs with inadequate testing. And it was not like we had no precedence for caution - in 2011 an outbreak of Q-fever in NL lead to quite some people having chronic symptoms, and there has been rather wide media coverage of that...

Big Tea

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... long-covid

Could be almost 6% get long covid, and not all get the traditional symptoms
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

nzjrs

I think long Covid will end up being massively over (self?) diagnosed, under defined, and largely psychosomatic / socially contagious.

There's something there, but mechanistically it's non novel.

The next interesting 'everything is political battle's will be between the 'long vaccine side effects' people and the 'long covid' people. I mean this earnestly by the way. There is enough there in both cases to not reject both outright.

Jolle

nzjrs wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 12:03
I think long Covid will end up being massively over (self?) diagnosed, under defined, and largely psychosomatic / socially contagious.

The next interesting 'everything is political battle's will be between the 'long vaccine side effects' people and the 'long covid' people. I mean this earnestly by the way. There is enough there in both cases to not reject both outright.
Possibly for the armchair critics who count walking to the McDonald’s as an exercise. For athletes, the performance before and after a COVID diagnosis is measurable. For those there are a lot less variables.

nzjrs

Jolle wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 12:15
nzjrs wrote:

Possibly for the armchair critics who count walking to the McDonald’s as an exercise. For athletes, the performance before and after a COVID diagnosis is measurable. For those there are a lot less variables.
I think physiologically understood true athlete performance impact (consistent with lung damage) is mechanistically understood, not long-term, and not surprising.

Beyond that is everything contentious in my post.

rscsr

Jolle wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 12:15
nzjrs wrote:

As an anecdote, after I got COVID my measured Aerobic performance was back to normal after about 4 weeks of training. But about 6 months after the infection it began to drop quite massively. From 290W to 190W within 4 months and it only got better after I got prescribed an inhaler.

nzjrs

DChemTech wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 10:16
But the risk of long covid was signalled relatively early, including in younger populations, and with such potentially large but yet unquantifiable risks, a bit of caution may have been in order.
I agree with the precautionary principle, but from memory the earliest, scariest (for the young) physiologically interesting long covid papers were the heart tissue and lung damage ones, which didn't really stay in good standing as further research and eyes met them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, those were the notable ones I remember.

i70q7m7ghw

Something occurred to me recently... do we know the vaccination status of the drivers? I can only assume they were (or will be) vaccinated under their home countries vaccination programme, unless there's some special programme to get everyone in F1 vaccinated?