Red Bull RB16B

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dxpetrov

Re: Red Bull RB16B

RB16B with different rear wing today. The lower DF spoon wing. As I was expecting it. It was a decoy yesterday...

SiLo

dxpetrov wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 12:07
RB16B with different rear wing today. The lower DF spoon wing. As I was expecting it. It was a decoy yesterday...
Seems odd to move to a lower downforce wing. Maybe with the high downforce wing they can't seem to get the balance right?
Felipe Baby!

SmallSoldier

SiLo wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 13:06
dxpetrov wrote:
Seems odd to move to a lower downforce wing. Maybe with the high downforce wing they can't seem to get the balance right?
That would be my guess… They couldn’t dial out the understeer, therefore if you can’t add more front downforce, the only way to deal with the understeer is to take rear wing out

michl420

A little odd to have the drinking bottle in the front nose. Pump fluid so long and through a "complicated" connection. The upside is a cool drink and maybe a intendent weigh distribution change?

Dee
Dee

Okay a few questions

1. I'm sure that Max got a new floor for Silverstone. Is this new update causing the understeer?

2. If not from this, are the new back tyres causing the understeer and how can RB fix this?

A car doesn't hit all apex's and is great to drive and setup in qualy to an understeery mess in the space of two races without something happening

Just_a_fan

Dee wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 06:17
Okay a few questions

1. I'm sure that Max got a new floor for Silverstone. Is this new update causing the understeer?

2. If not from this, are the new back tyres causing the understeer and how can RB fix this?

A car doesn't hit all apex's and is great to drive and setup in qualy to an understeery mess in the space of two races without something happening
It could just be that he's having to push harder than he was before now that the Mercedes is quicker. Maybe before he was driving it up to the point that it wanted to understeer and that was quick enough to get he job done. Now he's having to work the car harder and it's showing up a weakness.

There is precedent for this sort of situation. in 2009, Brawn were king of the hill in the early season and Button loved his car. By mid season, others had caught up and he was having to push harder and the car was less pleasant for him to drive. I remember him on the radio shouting something like "how has this car become so f'king bad?". It hadn't, he was just having to ask more of it than he had had to before and was finding the inherent weakness of the car.

Also, look back to the "diva" Merc of a couple of years ago. Again, they were fighting harder and suddenly finding the rough edges of the car's envelope.

It'll take an upgrade somewhere to solve the problem.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Dee
Dee

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 10:55
Dee wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 06:17
Okay a few questions

It could just be that he's having to push harder than he was before now that the Mercedes is quicker. Maybe before he was driving it up to the point that it wanted to understeer and that was quick enough to get he job done. Now he's having to work the car harder and it's showing up a weakness.

There is precedent for this sort of situation. in 2009, Brawn were king of the hill in the early season and Button loved his car. By mid season, others had caught up and he was having to push harder and the car was less pleasant for him to drive. I remember him on the radio shouting something like "how has this car become so f'king bad?". It hadn't, he was just having to ask more of it than he had had to before and was finding the inherent weakness of the car.

Also, look back to the "diva" Merc of a couple of years ago. Again, they were fighting harder and suddenly finding the rough edges of the car's envelope.

It'll take an upgrade somewhere to solve the problem.
"It'll take an upgrade somewhere to solve the problem"

I hope to God that they can solve it quickly, we as fans deserve two competitive cars this season and Max certainly does

Did you see the damage that Max had on the car, photo released today? Insane that he was able to drive nevermind overtake and get into the points

jjn9128

Dee wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 13:49
Did you see the damage that Max had on the car, photo released today? Insane that he was able to drive nevermind overtake and get into the points
It was a masterful drive. That car must have been all over the place. Not just downforce loss. But in different direction cornering the wheel wake must have been intermittently messing up the floor and diffuser.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

PhillipM

I think the most impressive thing was him keeping the tyres alive with that amount of downforce drop on the setup

etusch

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

Different rear wings for free practice and qualifying/race
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

mclaren111

Blackout

MtthsMlw wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 22:02
TIL Red Bull places the drivers drink bottle in the nose, looks like the right connector in the quoted pic is for the drinking system while the left one is for the front wing sensors. I assume this is a weight distribution thing.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E7jKrhIXoAo ... name=large

Here you can see the connector (left) on the chassis side
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... tail-1.jpg
Yes

2020/2021 (pics from @NicolasF1i)

Alexf1

SmallSoldier wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 15:42
SiLo wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 13:06
dxpetrov wrote:
That would be my guess… They couldn’t dial out the understeer, therefore if you can’t add more front downforce, the only way to deal with the understeer is to take rear wing out
It certainly looks like '20 to '21 the rear has gone from weakest to strongest downforce side of the car. With the front relatively unchanged that means they just had to take rear wing off to balance it out. So on front limited tracks like Barcelona, France and Hungary going low downforce on the rear wing was their only choice. The better/stronger rear tyres contributed to even more understeer I think. The new rears don't have to be a negative factor as long as the track is not high downforce front limited.