Red Bull RB16B

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
dxpetrov
dxpetrov
-7
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: Red Bull RB16B

Post

RB16B with different rear wing today. The lower DF spoon wing. As I was expecting it. It was a decoy yesterday...

User avatar
SiLo
128
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: Red Bull RB16B

Post

dxpetrov wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:07 am
RB16B with different rear wing today. The lower DF spoon wing. As I was expecting it. It was a decoy yesterday...
Seems odd to move to a lower downforce wing. Maybe with the high downforce wing they can't seem to get the balance right?
Felipe Baby!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
341
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: Red Bull RB16B

Post

SiLo wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:06 pm
dxpetrov wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:07 am
RB16B with different rear wing today. The lower DF spoon wing. As I was expecting it. It was a decoy yesterday...
Seems odd to move to a lower downforce wing. Maybe with the high downforce wing they can't seem to get the balance right?
That would be my guess… They couldn’t dial out the understeer, therefore if you can’t add more front downforce, the only way to deal with the understeer is to take rear wing out

michl420
michl420
12
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:08 pm
Location: Austria

Re: Red Bull RB16B

Post

A little odd to have the drinking bottle in the front nose. Pump fluid so long and through a "complicated" connection. The upside is a cool drink and maybe a intendent weigh distribution change?

Dee
Dee
13
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:07 am

Re: Red Bull RB16B

Post

Okay a few questions

1. I'm sure that Max got a new floor for Silverstone. Is this new update causing the understeer?

2. If not from this, are the new back tyres causing the understeer and how can RB fix this?

A car doesn't hit all apex's and is great to drive and setup in qualy to an understeery mess in the space of two races without something happening

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan
777
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: Red Bull RB16B

Post

Dee wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:17 am
Okay a few questions

1. I'm sure that Max got a new floor for Silverstone. Is this new update causing the understeer?

2. If not from this, are the new back tyres causing the understeer and how can RB fix this?

A car doesn't hit all apex's and is great to drive and setup in qualy to an understeery mess in the space of two races without something happening
It could just be that he's having to push harder than he was before now that the Mercedes is quicker. Maybe before he was driving it up to the point that it wanted to understeer and that was quick enough to get he job done. Now he's having to work the car harder and it's showing up a weakness.

There is precedent for this sort of situation. in 2009, Brawn were king of the hill in the early season and Button loved his car. By mid season, others had caught up and he was having to push harder and the car was less pleasant for him to drive. I remember him on the radio shouting something like "how has this car become so f'king bad?". It hadn't, he was just having to ask more of it than he had had to before and was finding the inherent weakness of the car.

Also, look back to the "diva" Merc of a couple of years ago. Again, they were fighting harder and suddenly finding the rough edges of the car's envelope.

It'll take an upgrade somewhere to solve the problem.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

Dee
Dee
13
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:07 am

Re: Red Bull RB16B

Post

Just_a_fan wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:55 am
Dee wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:17 am
Okay a few questions

1. I'm sure that Max got a new floor for Silverstone. Is this new update causing the understeer?

2. If not from this, are the new back tyres causing the understeer and how can RB fix this?

A car doesn't hit all apex's and is great to drive and setup in qualy to an understeery mess in the space of two races without something happening
It could just be that he's having to push harder than he was before now that the Mercedes is quicker. Maybe before he was driving it up to the point that it wanted to understeer and that was quick enough to get he job done. Now he's having to work the car harder and it's showing up a weakness.

There is precedent for this sort of situation. in 2009, Brawn were king of the hill in the early season and Button loved his car. By mid season, others had caught up and he was having to push harder and the car was less pleasant for him to drive. I remember him on the radio shouting something like "how has this car become so f'king bad?". It hadn't, he was just having to ask more of it than he had had to before and was finding the inherent weakness of the car.

Also, look back to the "diva" Merc of a couple of years ago. Again, they were fighting harder and suddenly finding the rough edges of the car's envelope.

It'll take an upgrade somewhere to solve the problem.
"It'll take an upgrade somewhere to solve the problem"

I hope to God that they can solve it quickly, we as fans deserve two competitive cars this season and Max certainly does

Did you see the damage that Max had on the car, photo released today? Insane that he was able to drive nevermind overtake and get into the points

User avatar
jjn9128
644
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Red Bull RB16B

Post

Dee wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:49 pm
Did you see the damage that Max had on the car, photo released today? Insane that he was able to drive nevermind overtake and get into the points
It was a masterful drive. That car must have been all over the place. Not just downforce loss. But in different direction cornering the wheel wake must have been intermittently messing up the floor and diffuser.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

PhillipM
PhillipM
424
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 2:18 pm
Location: Over the road from Boothy...

Re: Red Bull RB16B

Post

I think the most impressive thing was him keeping the tyres alive with that amount of downforce drop on the setup

User avatar
etusch
200
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Turkey

Re: Red Bull RB16B

Post

Image

Image

User avatar
Morteza
2612
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Bushehr, Iran

Re: Red Bull RB16B

Post

From another angle
Image
Via @NicolasF1i
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

User avatar
Morteza
2612
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Bushehr, Iran

Re: Red Bull RB16B

Post

Different rear wings for free practice and qualifying/race
Image
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

User avatar
mclaren111
258
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:49 am
Location: Shithole - South Africa

Re: Red Bull RB16B

Post

Image

User avatar
Blackout
935
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:12 am

Re: Red Bull RB16B

Post

MtthsMlw wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:02 pm
mclaren111 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:16 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6wJgs6XIAA ... name=large


Nice view...
TIL Red Bull places the drivers drink bottle in the nose, looks like the right connector in the quoted pic is for the drinking system while the left one is for the front wing sensors. I assume this is a weight distribution thing.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E7jKrhIXoAo ... name=large

Here you can see the connector (left) on the chassis side
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... tail-1.jpg
Yes

2020/2021 (pics from @NicolasF1i)
Image

Alexf1
Alexf1
25
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:52 pm

Re: Red Bull RB16B

Post

SmallSoldier wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:42 pm
SiLo wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:06 pm
dxpetrov wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:07 am
RB16B with different rear wing today. The lower DF spoon wing. As I was expecting it. It was a decoy yesterday...
Seems odd to move to a lower downforce wing. Maybe with the high downforce wing they can't seem to get the balance right?
That would be my guess… They couldn’t dial out the understeer, therefore if you can’t add more front downforce, the only way to deal with the understeer is to take rear wing out
It certainly looks like '20 to '21 the rear has gone from weakest to strongest downforce side of the car. With the front relatively unchanged that means they just had to take rear wing off to balance it out. So on front limited tracks like Barcelona, France and Hungary going low downforce on the rear wing was their only choice. The better/stronger rear tyres contributed to even more understeer I think. The new rears don't have to be a negative factor as long as the track is not high downforce front limited.