2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ab_f1

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

hollus wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 22:17
The TV director made an excellent job of not showing the big picture there. But that's where the narrative is these days, with those two and no one else.
Exactly..

Jolle

ispano6 wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 22:24
The problem with going out early is you get impeded by people on their out lap if you catch them. Maybe it's smart to do that and allow themselves to be and cause the offender a grid penalty? Except that the slower cars are out on track first so you're bound to be impeded but not by your main rival. Hungary is a prime track for driving unnecessarily slow or impeding. It's also one that can bring out a red flag. Tomorrow should be interesting. Max will need to be careful not to get collected given he has the grip advantage and slipstream. Hamilton may go in too hot, go wide, or lock up.
It’s a problem in Q1 and a bit in Q2. In Q3 the track normally is quite empty. Looking at the GPS map, nothing prevented them to go out 30 seconds earlier. But, somehow it looked like they waited for the Mercs to come out.

i70q7m7ghw

214270 wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 22:16
Jolle wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 22:10
nimoraca wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 22:07
F1 can avoid this ----fest that happens every other race by, for example, allowing a driver in Q3 to finish a lap as long as he exists the pit on time and his out lap is within certain limits (for exmaple 150% of his best time). This would obviously not help in Monza but might help in other places.
Or, just an idea, the session is 12-15 minutes long, don’t go out with just 2 minutes to go as the last car.
Precisely; there is no problem requiring a fix.

So much back-n-forth on threads over such trivial matters.
Agreed. Any time Hamilton or Max is disadvantaged in some way the rules need to be rewritten to "fix" F1. People just need to get over it.

To anyone that wants to continue whinging. Leave. Stop watching F1, we won't miss you, bye.

Jolle

By the way, there is a big difference between the qualifying mess of Monza and today. At Monza the slipstream is so powerful that you don’t want tombe up front. Here, you want some space to get max downforce. Just an error in judgment is my guess.

RZS10

Jolle wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 22:06
sosic2121 wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 22:01
Jolle wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 21:56

I watched the outlaps from Bottas, Verstappen and Hamilton, on the onboard. Verstappen was send out by his team after Hamilton drove past their box, like it was planned to. All the way to the line he was right up Hamilton’s gearbox, almost busy trying to keep something of a steady line because he was that close.
Hamilton was constantly told the delta to Bottas, from 2 to 4 seconds until they came to the last corner, letting it go to 7. He was driving smoothly, because he has a few seconds of clear space and didn’t have to react to Bottas.

Bottas was driving smooth and told the distance to Ocon, Same as Hamilton. 2 - 4 seconds until the last corner, letting it open to 7.

What was dirty about the outlap? I applaud that Verstappen didn’t try to fix his team mistake by overtaking Hamilton, who didn’t do anything wrong or dirty.
You haven't seen blocking max in pit lane?
Blocking in the pit lane? Like, stop an overtake there when your team sends you out to late?
I saw Verstappen taking a look, luckily for him he didn’t leave the lane to overtake, would have cost him dearly.
It almost seemed like Max had a look and, when he saw that it's an endless queue of cars ahead, decided against a possible overtake.

jurinius

I wonder if Adrian can tell us why he was shaking his head. Sounds to me like he was a bit disapointed by their drivers engagement. It is obvious that Redbull is running this weekend with the idea to limit Mercedes advantage at the end of this GP, and not to win it.

The RB dilema : Would you give Checo an opportunity to be ahead knowing it will probably not be enough to beat Lewis and Bottas.

We will be talkin a lot after this GP once Mercedes will emmerge on top of both championship ranking. On the side note, Sainz has given McLaren an easy end of the weekend.
“And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.”
― Ayrton Senna

Magicsenna_41

Perez said that Lewis had a sensible and normal gap to Bottas.
I think the media and Red Bull management again trying to make something up. Instead they should admit that they failed.

politburo

Magicsenna_41 wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 23:37
Perez said that Lewis had a sensible and normal gap to Bottas.
I think the media and Red Bull management again trying to make something up. Instead they should admit that they failed.
Horner literally said he had no issue with it:

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/983898/1/ ... qualifying

The optics of it were just bad, but it really was not Hamilton or Bottas' fault that there was a queue before the last corner. It really is farcical, because we all know this happens and will happen again - driver bunching up right before the last corner. Remember in Monaco there were so many near-misses because of this, one driver waiting to start a lap and another closing in whilst on a push after the Racsasse corner. It's ridiculous but the drivers need it to fully optimise tyre performance and create a gap so you don't get reduce the dirty air effect.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

ringo

Lets talk about race. Some people still mourning silverstone apparently.

Good job by Lewis there today. He really pulled a gap ob Bottas. Valteri was looking very strong in practice. I think both drivers will be dialled in for Sunday. I hope Bottas has good race pace and can pressure Lewis.

Redbull left me scratching my head. I think Max is just not having a good time out there. The car has more pace in it but the balance is off. Must be the temepatures. From they had to use the soft compound to secure q3 i realized they were not confident in the car's balance.

Mclaren not too bad but below my expectations. Especially with Daniel. I though the car and engine would have been a fit with this track. Aston seemed to have used their strong points better here and Vettel did a superb job. Im changing my mind about his demise now. He is actually showing some flashes of briliance.

George was a non factor. queit weekend from Williams. Maybe the tyre temps hurt them.

Good job by Gasly again and Ocon and Alonso. That Alpine is a mysterious car.
For Sure!!

maxxer

ringo wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 00:11

Good job by Lewis there today. He really pulled a gap ob Bottas. Valteri was looking very strong in practice. I think both drivers will be dialled in for Sunday. I hope Bottas has good race pace and can pressure Lewis.

Redbull left me scratching my head. I think Max is just not having a good time out there. The car has more pace in it but the balance is off. Must be the temepatures. From they had to use the soft compound to secure q3 i realized they were not confident in the car's balance.

Mclaren not too bad but below my expectations. Especially with Daniel. I though the car and engine would have been a fit with this track. Aston seemed to have used their strong points better here and Vettel did a superb job. Im changing my mind about his demise now. He is actually showing some flashes of briliance.

George was a non factor. queit weekend from Williams. Maybe the tyre temps hurt them.

Last year i was convinced Vettel should have quit but now he is solid again not making mistakes in a car he is new too. Gasly enjoying this team.
Alonso also thought he is just taking away a seat which a rookie could be in but i was wrong there too. And for the rookies maybe they need to spend summer break and sit with the financial departments to see where they can improve their driving.

Magicsenna_41

ringo wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 00:11

I think with these high temperatures in the race Red Bull has a good chance with a 2 stop strategy.

Max said it was not their intention but Marko said it was fully intentional.
And if we look at races like Barcelona, Paul Ricard or Hungaroring 2019 a 2 stop looked really promising.

But it will be gusty tomorrow. 🤔

ringo

They can nake 2 stops work indeed. But the cars a so close im seeing a safety car at some point.

Max seems a bit unhinged at the moment. Could explain why he isnt driving so well. I don't know who said he was calm and cool. I think he has anger management issues.
It may precipitate into tomorrow's race against Bottas or his teammate Perez.

see his reaction below when asked about the start.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/max-ve ... uestion/

Mercedes is living in his head rent free.
For Sure!!

LHamilton

Interesting race with Mercedes on mediums and Red Bull on softs. For Perez hopes of a contract renewal he needs to finish nose to tail to Verstappen, and that probably means nailing the start. Will be interesting to see if Perez will get in the way of Verstappen if Perez gets off the line better. Or if he will be aggressive into turn 1. I think he kinda needs to have a controlled aggression at the start, because it is reasonable to pass people in the turns 1 to 3 sequence at the start. And he needs to be on the heels of Verstappen, at least.

Ricciardo will be interesting to watch since he will be the first person probably on the mediums with only Mercedes ahead of him on the mediums. He is also someone that really needs a good race going into the break.

dans79

Magicsenna_41 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 01:51
And if we look at races like Barcelona, Paul Ricard or Hungaroring 2019 a 2 stop looked really promising.
That strategy has two significant caveats though. The car behind has to have substantially better pace and tire deg.
197 104 103 7

Magicsenna_41

Let's hope it will be a marathon fight tomorrow and not a sprint fight 😉