2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

the EDGE wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 20:37
Chicane wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 20:27
the EDGE wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 19:44

Odd that he doesn’t mention his error that cost him 0.2 and a place in Q3

I disagree he’s reached his limit, many more race to come this year, I think he’ll make the breakthrough before the EOS

If not… we’ll the car and it’s DNA line will be consigned to history in December with what comes next a totally new beast
I have always rated him very high but it's been ten races and all of which he has completed. Suffice to say any variation in his performances from here on in will most likely be track specific. Yes both Mclaren and Ricciardo have to hope that next year's car will play to his strengths.

As a Mclaren fan i want him to come good but looks like he hasn't made any notable gains in terms of his issues with the car. Silverstone with fast flowing corners is opposite to Budapest and you can see the difference in his qualifying here n there. He simply lacks the nuance with respect to trail braking in to slow and medium speed corners in this car
But still 8th in the championship with only the Ferrari’s & team mate ahead in the midfield battle, and a good chunk of points ahead of Gasly
But that is more to do with the distance between the Mclaren and Ferrari cars from those behind.
If more of the midfield were competitive then I think he'd be further back.

He will get a pass this season and they will put it behind them, and I don't doubt that he will start next season with a strong mentality because of the new car and because he has a great mental approach. Hopefully he will take advantage.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

1m0bius1

Looking forward to turn the page this year for Dan. The car's design philosiphy for whatever reason does not want to click with his driving style. Im sure when he starts on even footing with Lando next year (who has had basically 3 seasons in the car + sim work prior to his first season) he will be the Dan we know again.

Mclaren updating its its CFD to state of the art tech + the wind tunnel + sim coming on line late next year should put mclaren in a really good position.

Sure the new wind tunnel might give a tiny tiny bit of an advantage but the wind tunnel in Cologne is a fantastic facility and it shouldnt be too much of a detriment. The main thing was to upgrade the CFD and simulator. The windtunnel will be the cherry on top.

Wish they could fast track construction so its completed early next year...but thats probably not realisitic.

mwillems

MrGapes wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 03:43
Mclarensenna wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 02:41
There are many comments about Ric here that i think need clarifying

Ric is the guy who destroyed a 4xWDC in with 3 wins to 0 from day 1 with instant, instant adaption something people said would take years if ever to be able to beat Vettel in his car
Ric is the guy who jumped into the 2009, 2010 and 2013 redbull in tests and was instantly faster smashing lap records than Vettel and adapted instantly.
Ric is the guy who beat Max in points the 1st 2 years together
Ric is the guy who got 3 poles to Max zero. (the only 3 times that car was pole capable Ric raised his level and got it each time)
Ric is the guy who was ahead of Max on points in 2018 at the half way mark, until he announced he was leaving and ultimately lost due to 8 retirements which netted him 0 points in 8 races that 0 were his fault. Ric would have beaten Max in 2018 if not for 8 retirements which none were his fault. Ric had a better final year against Max than the previous year it is clear as day. Yet many just look at the points and say wow ye Max eventually got on top of Ric year 3. Ric went up another gear in his 3rd year. Better than his second year with Max its evident. But mechanical failures Ric could do nothing about.

Ric is the guy who beat Hulk in his 1st year at Renault something Sainz was unable to do
Ric easily beat Ocon who many rated very high that could possibly beat Hamilton which is why many suspect (rumor of course) Toto kept Bottas on to not cause another Rosberg situation.

Ric has never had trouble adjusting to any car nor matching Max who we know see is an absolute monster.
Max made Gasly a GP2 champion and race winner look like a backmarker, same as Albon and Perez now.

Are we to assume Ric forgot how to drive from Dec last year to March this year overnight basically?
Are we assuming Norris would be half a second a lap quicker than Max now?

What has happened is that Ric is driving a car that is to his liking is the worst he has ever driven. He has to do the exact opposite he has done in the HRT, Torro Rosso, Redbull and Renault.
It seems he just does not like or will ever be comfortable driving a car designed like this.

It seems it will be like this all year now.
Next years car will be totally different and hopefully more to Rics liking after he has given his feedback and input into its design.
Just trying to set realistic expectations as if we have not seen Ric adapt to the car after so many races then its unlikely to happen this year.
This is a complete bogey car for Ric. its a 1 in 5 bogey car.

In Summary

1. This is not Rics true pace. As if it was then Norris is not just quicker than Max. But would destroy Max in the same car if this quick. (highly doubtful)
2. Ric did not forget how to drive from Dec last year to March this year. Its not possible to lose half a second in 4 months without a major injury.

Rics true pace unfortunately will be seen until next year when the car is built and designed more to his liking after his feedback and input and not a 1 in 5 bogey car like it is right now.
I think this notion of a car has been built for one driver rather than another is only partially true, not to the extend we all think. I feel especially with the new regs, but generally the technical teams would design the cars to what they think will best extract performance, I'm sure Daniel has already had general feedback for next years car, although it's important to note that the teams has been conceptualizing this car since 2019, the major geometries would of likely already been settled on (infact I remember James Key saying they were in advanced stages of the gearbox architecture I think late last year), the team would from summer break be likely concentrating on the marginal aero gains. I think next years car will be bit of a lucky dip, it may or may not suit a particular driver, lets just hope it will help both drivers

on a side not I want to compliment the technical team at Woking... we know how much front end downforce this car has been lacking, yet the car performed very well around here especially with the amount of understeery corners this circuit presents.
It's possible that they build a car that they thought would be great for a guy who loves to find time through his brakes and it turned out the other guy was better with them.

I'm going to guess that these brakes might have a sharp upward braking power trajectory from a certain bite point, and from that point he finds it difficult to get the precision that he is confident with. Given that he prides himself on his braking, if he can't get confidence here you can see why he might struggle. I'm not sure that grip levels are the issue here, or the consistency of the grip through the corner, I think it is just the behaviour of the brakes themselves.

Aside from that, he seems to want to carry more speed into the corner, even when it is clear it is a choice and not down to issues with the car. All of the evidence I have seen so far is that slower entries to the corner gain a faster laptime this year. Max is slower than Lando and Perez into the corners but quicker through them. Vettel is slower than Stroll into the corners but quicker through, same with Lando to Danny.

I did post an article that was discussing Max and Perez on this very subject, on the basis that it is relevant to Danny and his driving style, but it was deleted.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

MrGapes

surely this green track hurts Ferrari like it did in France...

MrGapes

nvm the track is basically going to be bone dry by the time its lights out

- actually scratch that it is dry. :(

billamend

Lando has been oddly confident this weekend

mclaren111

Let's Go Lando... :D :D

SmallSoldier

It seems the teams will starts on Softs despite the rain right now… It will be interesting!

Let’s hope the team has a great race!

MrGapes

Lets go team!!!

Ir3NiCuS

According to this site https://www.idokep.hu/radar we can expect a full wet race
Anyway guys after so many years reading this topic i just made my registration for cheering for Mclaren

Herr_Koos

MrGapes wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 12:07
nvm the track is basically going to be bone dry by the time its lights out

- actually scratch that it is dry. :(
They're starting on inters...

Emag

The rain can negate any potential strategy advantage we might have had with Daniel, but let's see how it goes. I am excited.

chrisgr

They destroyed us.
edit:Leclerc out. bottas out.
Last edited by chrisgr on 01 Aug 2021, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.

Emag

FUUUCK

blastdoman

Stupid Bottas