2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Schuttelberg

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

Incognito wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:26
Significant swing in the Ferrari / McLaren battle. Do we know how much damage Ricciardo suffered at T1?
The 5 place penalty is a complete joke! Bottas will end up 3rd or 4th with or without it although he is fully capable of floundering around nowhere! A Mercedes junior has just won a race in a car that shouldn't and the second seat continues to be occupied by what can best be described as an obedient poodle!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Tizz

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 17:50
Tizz wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 17:39
El Scorchio wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 17:09
AMAZING race!!!

Two more laps and that would have been Hamilton’s. Alonso deserves almost as much credit as Ocon there.

It’s always beautiful to have a first time winner. The podium will be fun!
Alonso was more than a pitstop ahead of Hammi. If he would have pitted then, we would have had 2 Alpines on the podium.
At what point in the race are you talking about ?
If I remember correctly it was just a few laps before the first group of drivers came in for their first "dry" stop. But Alonso choose to go long that stint. I don't understand that. By pitting earlier he would have had a chance to protect Ocon if he needed that and keep a shot at the podium.I do not know though if he had whites left.

max_speed
max_speed

f1jcw wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:21
What is this about Ocon getting told on radio to pit on the installation lap?
That is race win removal penalty
Somebody has still not lost of hope of a sir lewis win :)

Mr.S
Mr.S

pantherxxx wrote:
It doesn't make any sense that the stewards gave Bottas only a 5 place grid penalty for making such an amateurish mistake. As Vettel mentioned, it was a Maldonado trademark move. Braking so late on a wet track is simply unacceptable at this level. The next race is in Belgium, how does this penalty represent a handicap for Bottas in a Mercedes? It is like Hamilton getting 10s in Silverstone. SPA has many opportunities to overtake with long straights. Bottas should at least get a 20 place grid penalty or a race ban. He is driving arguably the fastest car. McLaren and Red Bull should appeal this decision, because they lost too many points!
Partially true. I don't know anyone getting a 20 place penalty in years ! But MSC got a 5 place grid penalty on Senna for much less !

It should have been a 10 place penalty at the least. Same with Stroll. Stroll also had no business going there. Leclerc was literally on the apex & he tried to go outside of that, literally into the grass/curb portion in a wet track when he was so far behind. Bottas obviously rammed into Norris & caused the whole thing. While ensuing result/aftermath should have no say in the penalty, the act in itself was stupid & crazy & probably deserved a 10 place penalty atleast !

Spacepace

ferrarifire wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:22
Exactly , he lost words once crowd booed him....
Spacepace wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 17:36
Hamilton not looking right. I don't think it's exhaustion either. Like an anxiety attack probably from the booing. It's hard to face that from that many people. It's probably bringing up feelings he had when he was younger and people were happy he didn't win. Those types of things at a young age gives you triggers. I don't think it's inherently racists just Verstappen fans that want Hamilton to lose though. That looked like a flat out anxiety attack on the podium
Yeah and I am not slamming Hamilton or the fans just stating that it's hard to face 50,000 booing people directing it at you. We're only human and we do have copping mechanisms to protect ourselves. I don't believe the exhaustion thing no matter what Hamilton says

Schuttelberg

Incognito wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:27
Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:24
Hamilton leading the championship again in such an inferior car! :lol:
Yes, Red Bull have suffered terrible luck but, even without that, they've not cashed in fully on having a faster car. Better tactics/strategy (and luck) and they would have a huge lead in both championships.
Oh absolutely! It's just the skill of Hamilton and the worthlessness of Verstappen as to why he leads. Personally speaking, it's a miracle Hamilton is beating Norris in the Mercedes let alone two red bulls.

It's like Jesus 2021 in a formula 1 car!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

NathanOlder

f1jcw wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:34
politburo wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:30
f1jcw wrote:
He was told to pit on the safety car restart lap. Radio comms are only not allowed on the formation laps before the race is underway. If the race had been suspended after the red flag and started all over from lap 1, then it would have been illegal to tell him to pit under such conditions before the start of the race.
You sure on that

Ocon: "As soon as we can pit it's gonna be good to do so"
Team: "So you can come in at the end of this lap if you want to, let us know"
Ocon:"Well I guess I'm second, so, not really, what do you think, completely dry"
Team "Standby, standing start, I'll get back to you shortly"
Team "Okay Esteban, Box box box box"
Ocon "Copy"

Sounds dodgy
Its only the original warm up lap where they can't use the radio isn't it? This was technically lap 2 or 3 of the race.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Incognito
Incognito

Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:37
Incognito wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:24
Hamilton leading the championship again in such an inferior car! :lol:
Yes, Red Bull have suffered terrible luck but, even without that, they've not cashed in fully on having a faster car. Better tactics/strategy (and luck) and they would have a huge lead in both championships.
Oh absolutely! It's just the skill of Hamilton and the worthlessness of Verstappen as to why he leads. Personally speaking, it's a miracle Hamilton is beating Norris in the Mercedes let alone two red bulls.

What? You don't think that not having crashes here, Silverstone and Baku would've helped? Or that being out strategised in Spain, or a small mistake in Bahrain when overtaking Hamilton didn't cost them points? Just those last two would still see Verstappen in the lead. And that's not looking at qualifying or less standout issues.
Last edited by Incognito on 01 Aug 2021, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

RZS10

Mercedes easily had the gap in the queue to stop and come out without being stuck in their box.

All those cars at the front managed to keep their position.

Starkblood80
Starkblood80

Mr.S wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:29
The people cribbing about Hamilton not being past ar fanboys who haven't watched the sport for 20+ years unlike many others. Alonso was on the line & ahead. Hamilton had no business even trying an overtake there. And Alonso gave hima
a full car width otherwise Hamilton would have been out! And LH has been a serial whiner for decades playing victim cards & twisting logic & facts. I still remember when he hit someone in Monaco & got a penalty & played the race card & said it was because he was black. Probably 09 or 10 that was.

Anyways LH continues to get lucky as a far superior driver in Verstappen continues to get taken by another Mercedes (Bottas this time). And Perez's engine needs to be changed too. Both RB are in the new engines & this would compromise the last few races (atleats 1 of them) plus Monza (they have to go into Monza with a much older engine & the others will have new). Alonso rolling back the years & showing why he is a Senna-Schumacher level driver. Shame he has 2 titles only. LH's 7 titles are probably as undeserving as Villeneuve's World Title. Being with a joke like Bottas !

Anyways we head to Mid-season with Mercedes & RB tied of sorts (Mercedes narrow advantage), Mercedes have the quicker car now (proven in different circuits like the last 2). The Silverstone upgrade was very strong & helped Mercedes. RB have the superior driver & need to find 1-2 tenths more in upgrades vs Mercedes in Half 2 if they want to win. This will go to the end. The 2 Mercedes (Hamilton in Britain & Bottas in Hungary) taking our RB causing 3rd Power Unit to be introduced will be a big disadvantage for RB !
That was incredibly painful to read.

Schuttelberg

Mr.S wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:29
The people cribbing about Hamilton not being past ar fanboys who haven't watched the sport for 20+ years unlike many others. Alonso was on the line & ahead. Hamilton had no business even trying an overtake there. And Alonso gave hima
a full car width otherwise Hamilton would have been out! And LH has been a serial whiner for decades playing victim cards & twisting logic & facts. I still remember when he hit someone in Monaco & got a penalty & played the race card & said it was because he was black. Probably 09 or 10 that was.

Anyways LH continues to get lucky as a far superior driver in Verstappen continues to get taken by another Mercedes (Bottas this time). And Perez's engine needs to be changed too. Both RB are in the new engines & this would compromise the last few races (atleats 1 of them) plus Monza (they have to go into Monza with a much older engine & the others will have new). Alonso rolling back the years & showing why he is a Senna-Schumacher level driver. Shame he has 2 titles only. LH's 7 titles are probably as undeserving as Villeneuve's World Title. Being with a joke like Bottas !

Anyways we head to Mid-season with Mercedes & RB tied of sorts (Mercedes narrow advantage), Mercedes have the quicker car now (proven in different circuits like the last 2). The Silverstone upgrade was very strong & helped Mercedes. RB have the superior driver & need to find 1-2 tenths more in upgrades vs Mercedes in Half 2 if they want to win. This will go to the end. The 2 Mercedes (Hamilton in Britain & Bottas in Hungary) taking our RB causing 3rd Power Unit to be introduced will be a big disadvantage for RB !
Do you recall 2018 Silverstone when insinuations were made about Kimi deliberately taking a Mercedes out? Obviously this doesn't even assume the same realms of discussion!

Hamilton and Mercedes have lost all respect from my side. A Mercedes junior has just won a race and he's nowhere near a race seat and Hamilton has pretended for years that he doesn't care who's in the second car. In fact, he's gone on record accusing Fred and Seb and it's pretty clear that they have no such say.

NathanOlder

Mr.S wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:35
pantherxxx wrote:
It doesn't make any sense that the stewards gave Bottas only a 5 place grid penalty for making such an amateurish mistake. As Vettel mentioned, it was a Maldonado trademark move. Braking so late on a wet track is simply unacceptable at this level. The next race is in Belgium, how does this penalty represent a handicap for Bottas in a Mercedes? It is like Hamilton getting 10s in Silverstone. SPA has many opportunities to overtake with long straights. Bottas should at least get a 20 place grid penalty or a race ban. He is driving arguably the fastest car. McLaren and Red Bull should appeal this decision, because they lost too many points!
Partially true. I don't know anyone getting a 20 place penalty in years ! But MSC got a 5 place grid penalty on Senna for much less !

It should have been a 10 place penalty at the least. Same with Stroll. Stroll also had no business going there. Leclerc was literally on the apex & he tried to go outside of that, literally into the grass/curb portion in a wet track when he was so far behind. Bottas obviously rammed into Norris & caused the whole thing. While ensuing result/aftermath should have no say in the penalty, the act in itself was stupid & crazy & probably deserved a 10 place penalty atleast !
Yeah I feel 5 place pen is very light, I guess they took the 'first lap of the race' in to account. Still 10 places would have been more fitting.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Sieper

Incognito wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:41
Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:37
Incognito wrote:

What? You don't think that not having crashes here, Silverstone and Baku would've helped? Or that being out strategised in Spain, or a small mistake in Bahrain when overtaking Hamilton didn't cost them points? Just those last two would still see Verstappen in the lead. And that's not looking at qualifying or less standout issues.
Going wide around Hamilton is not really a mistake though. That just very respectfull.

politburo
politburo

f1jcw wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:34
politburo wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:30
f1jcw wrote:
He was told to pit on the safety car restart lap. Radio comms are only not allowed on the formation laps before the race is underway. If the race had been suspended after the red flag and started all over from lap 1, then it would have been illegal to tell him to pit under such conditions before the start of the race.
You sure on that

Ocon: "As soon as we can pit it's gonna be good to do so"
Team: "So you can come in at the end of this lap if you want to, let us know"
Ocon:"Well I guess I'm second, so, not really, what do you think, completely dry"
Team "Standby, standing start, I'll get back to you shortly"
Team "Okay Esteban, Box box box box"
Ocon "Copy"

Sounds dodgy
Yes I have watched the onboards, Ocon, Vettel and Hamilton were all in contact with their teams. If that is not allowed then all three of those plus more drivers will have to get penalties. The reace was already underway at that point you can talk back and forth with your team. Not on the formation lap. The safety car lap is not the formation lap it is simply the lap the safety car does to get drivers back to the grid for the restart.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

NathanOlder

RZS10 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:41
Mercedes easily had the gap in the queue to stop and come out without being stuck in their box.

https://i.imgur.com/wJhLrjM.png

All those cars at the front managed to keep their position.
Yeah, although you won't know about any gaps until its well after you commit either way
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.