2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:42
Mr.S wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:35
pantherxxx wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:21
It doesn't make any sense that the stewards gave Bottas only a 5 place grid penalty for making such an amateurish mistake. As Vettel mentioned, it was a Maldonado trademark move. Braking so late on a wet track is simply unacceptable at this level. The next race is in Belgium, how does this penalty represent a handicap for Bottas in a Mercedes? It is like Hamilton getting 10s in Silverstone. SPA has many opportunities to overtake with long straights. Bottas should at least get a 20 place grid penalty or a race ban. He is driving arguably the fastest car. McLaren and Red Bull should appeal this decision, because they lost too many points!
Partially true. I don't know anyone getting a 20 place penalty in years ! But MSC got a 5 place grid penalty on Senna for much less !

It should have been a 10 place penalty at the least. Same with Stroll. Stroll also had no business going there. Leclerc was literally on the apex & he tried to go outside of that, literally into the grass/curb portion in a wet track when he was so far behind. Bottas obviously rammed into Norris & caused the whole thing. While ensuing result/aftermath should have no say in the penalty, the act in itself was stupid & crazy & probably deserved a 10 place penalty atleast !
Yeah I feel 5 place pen is very light, I guess they took the 'first lap of the race' in to account. Still 10 places would have been more fitting.
No they will stop moaning only if Hamilton will get a 5pts cut penalty.
Kind of fantasy penalty😏

Schuttelberg

Incognito wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:41
Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:37
Incognito wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:27
Yes, Red Bull have suffered terrible luck but, even without that, they've not cashed in fully on having a faster car. Better tactics/strategy (and luck) and they would have a huge lead in both championships.
Oh absolutely! It's just the skill of Hamilton and the worthlessness of Verstappen as to why he leads. Personally speaking, it's a miracle Hamilton is beating Norris in the Mercedes let alone two red bulls.

It's like Jesus 2021 in a formula 1 car!
What? You don't think that not having crashes here, Silverstone and Baku would've helped? Or that being out strategised in Spain, or a small mistake in Bahrain when overtaking Hamilton didn't cost them points? Just those last two would still see Verstappen in the lead. And that's not looking at qualifying or less standout issues.
Hmm, let's see-

Car in the gravel in Imola -18 points. (saved by red flag)
Put another car in the gravel (main title rival) in Silverstone and DNF -25 points (saved by red flag)
Blocked title rival yesterday and had team mate take out main title rival who would have won the race without it -13 points
Main title rival has tyre failure and loses 25 points while making a mistake yourself and losing 25 points. (Baku)

What does that total up to? =D>
Last edited by Schuttelberg on 01 Aug 2021, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

I would say Bottas did a driver mistake however it is not his intention to take both the RB car. If he do then it is a Crash gate which happened with Renault in Signapore in which Truli purposefully did the mistake to promote Alonso to Win. So, If any team do that, they will be striped from both the Championship and hefty penalty.

So, I don't think Bottas action is not intentional. We can speculate it however it is not intentional.

Another Example: grosjean crashing on Alonso in 2012 to Cost Alonso and Ferrari a Win... Is Ferrari and Alonso blamed him and Lotus? no right. We have plenty of incidents in F1 similar to what we saw in today race.

As a Fan it hurts us however finally it is a sport to enjoy!!! Please don't waste time in debating who is wrong or who is right. Just enjoy the sport.

Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

RZS10 wrote:
Mercedes easily had the gap in the queue to stop and come out without being stuck in their box.

https://i.imgur.com/wJhLrjM.png

All those cars at the front managed to keep their position.
So the guy behind Russell it's Alonso right? Did he deliberately slowed down in the pit entry? Seems to be like...

DChemTech
DChemTech

politburo wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:43
f1jcw wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:34
politburo wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:30

He was told to pit on the safety car restart lap. Radio comms are only not allowed on the formation laps before the race is underway. If the race had been suspended after the red flag and started all over from lap 1, then it would have been illegal to tell him to pit under such conditions before the start of the race.
You sure on that

Ocon: "As soon as we can pit it's gonna be good to do so"
Team: "So you can come in at the end of this lap if you want to, let us know"
Ocon:"Well I guess I'm second, so, not really, what do you think, completely dry"
Team "Standby, standing start, I'll get back to you shortly"
Team "Okay Esteban, Box box box box"
Ocon "Copy"

Sounds dodgy
Yes I have watched the onboards, Ocon, Vettel and Hamilton were all in contact with their teams. If that is not allowed then all three of those plus more drivers will have to get penalties. The reace was already underway at that point you can talk back and forth with your team. Not on the formation lap. The safety car lap is not the formation lap it is simply the lap the safety car does to get drivers back to the grid for the restart.
Would be hilarious if they get penalized and alonso actually wins. Normally those kind of things are only seen in speedwalking :) (but of course, not gonna happen)

Unf

It was quite funny to see the difference on Turn 4 between Tsunoda and Alonso vs. Hamilton.
Tsunoda had full pants and did nothing, while with Alonso it was obvious that turn 4 is forbidden for do an overtake ^^

politburo
politburo

Ocon was summoned for post-race procedures rather. He will almost certainly get a penalty for it, given he didn't park in parc ferme afterwards and kept going. Maybe he will have a good excuse, but if he loses his race win it will be harsh. But the rules are the rules perhaps.

Also, Vettel was also summoned, which means that if Ocon and Vettel both get penalties Hamilton wins the race regardless. That will be very harsh.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

Tizz

El Scorchio wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 17:45
Tizz wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 17:45
El Scorchio wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 17:41

Hindsight is always 20/20.
No, it was already obvious during the race. And they pay people to see this.
Best get your CV in order and send it off then!
I just tried to contest your first comment and this is your reply ?

Incognito
Incognito

Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:46
Incognito wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:

Oh absolutely! It's just the skill of Hamilton and the worthlessness of Verstappen as to why he leads. Personally speaking, it's a miracle Hamilton is beating Norris in the Mercedes let alone two red bulls.

What? You don't think that not having crashes here, Silverstone and Baku would've helped? Or that being out strategised in Spain, or a small mistake in Bahrain when overtaking Hamilton didn't cost them points? Just those last two would still see Verstappen in the lead. And that's not looking at qualifying or less standout issues.
Hmm, let's see-

Put another car in the gravel (main title rival) in Silverstone and DNF -25 points (saved by red flag)
Blocked title rival yesterday and had team mate take out main title rival who would have won the race without it -13 points
Main title rival has tyre failure and loses 25 points while making a mistake yourself and losing 25 points.

I don't understand. You said Mercedes has had the fastest car all season. I've pointed out that, despite Red Bull's appalling luck, they should still be leading the Championship...and then you list a whole bunch of Mercedes stuff???

It's the same as my post above. I asked how much damage Ricciardo has suffered (as a result of Stroll smashing Leclerc into him) and you start going on about Bottas???

politburo
politburo

politburo wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:49
Ocon was summoned for post-race procedures rather. He will almost certainly get a penalty for it, given he didn't park in parc ferme afterwards and kept going. Maybe he will have a good excuse, but if he loses his race win it will be harsh. But the rules are the rules perhaps.

Also, Vettel was also summoned, which means that if Ocon and Vettel both get penalties Hamilton wins the race regardless. That will be very harsh.
It'll be a huge stroke of luck 2 weeks in a row winning a race which they probably shouldn't have.

proteus

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:20
Very good point from George Russell there. If Merc. had pitted Lewis at the start, As they havebthe 1st pit box, they wouldn't have been able to release him until the last car came through, so would have ended almost last anyway.
But he still would not be last.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

turbof1

selvam_e2002 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:47
I would say Bottas did a driver mistake however it is not his intention to take both the RB car. If he do then it is a Crash gate which happened with Renault in Signapore in which Truli purposefully did the mistake to promote Alonso to Win. So, If any team do that, they will be striped from both the Championship and hefty penalty.

So, I don't think Bottas action is not intentional. We can speculate it however it is not intentional.

Another Example: grosjean crashing on Alonso in 2012 to Cost Alonso and Ferrari a Win... Is Ferrari and Alonso blamed him and Lotus? no right. We have plenty of incidents in F1 similar to what we saw in today race.

As a Fan it hurts us however finally it is a sport to enjoy!!! Please don't waste time in debating who is wrong or who is right. Just enjoy the sport.
This people. We had very nice race on an otherwise often boring track today. Just soak it in.
#AeroFrodo

Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

politburo wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:49

Lando got a penalty in Baku for that passing the finish line again under red...

politburo
politburo

DChemTech wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:48
politburo wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:43
f1jcw wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:34

You sure on that

Ocon: "As soon as we can pit it's gonna be good to do so"
Team: "So you can come in at the end of this lap if you want to, let us know"
Ocon:"Well I guess I'm second, so, not really, what do you think, completely dry"
Team "Standby, standing start, I'll get back to you shortly"
Team "Okay Esteban, Box box box box"
Ocon "Copy"

Sounds dodgy
Yes I have watched the onboards, Ocon, Vettel and Hamilton were all in contact with their teams. If that is not allowed then all three of those plus more drivers will have to get penalties. The reace was already underway at that point you can talk back and forth with your team. Not on the formation lap. The safety car lap is not the formation lap it is simply the lap the safety car does to get drivers back to the grid for the restart.
Would be hilarious if they get penalized and alonso actually wins. Normally those kind of things are only seen in speedwalking :) (but of course, not gonna happen)
Ocon, Sainz, Vettel all have been summoned. If they get penalties Hamilton wins the race.

NathanOlder

Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:46
Incognito wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:

Hmm, let's see-

Main title rival has tyre failure and loses 25 points while making a mistake yourself and losing 25 points. (Baku)

It totals up to you not watching qualifying yesterday, as that's a load of rubbish and not what happened.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC