2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Ryar

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

Hammerfist wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 06:16
dans79 wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 05:29
peewon wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 04:52
If Alonso wanted to hype himself why would he say Lewis made a mistake which shifts credit away from himself?
He still got the hype in, hence why you see so many "news" articles withe a title like "Alonso taught hamilton the racing line".

Those are all based on this comment.
“I think he learned a couple of different lines in the last three corners after the 10 laps behind me. He was able to pass Carlos just in one lap, applying those new lines.”
Come on Fernando, so it had nothing to do with the fact that Sainz was slower than you at that point of the race? And last time I checked the Ferrari is slower than the Alpine in a straight line.

I was somehow wishing it was Max and Alonso fighting ther. It would have ended up in tears most likely. Hamilton kept the pressure on but never took unnecessary risks. I thought he drove brilliantly. So did Fernando of course, but he just can't help tapping himself on the back. Poor guy.
Where did you check last time? Let's see.
In qualifying, Sector 1 time (most of the straights).
SAINZ - 27.684
ALONSO - 27.746

Speed Trap -
SAINZ - 303.2
ALONSO - 299.4

Speed - Intermediate 1 (end of sector 1)
SAINZ - 282.7
ALONSO - 278.9
Hakuna Matata!

peewon

dans79 wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 05:29
peewon wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 04:52
If Alonso wanted to hype himself why would he say Lewis made a mistake which shifts credit away from himself?
He still got the hype in, hence why you see so many "news" articles withe a title like "Alonso taught hamilton the racing line".

Those are all based on this comment.
“I think he learned a couple of different lines in the last three corners after the 10 laps behind me. He was able to pass Carlos just in one lap, applying those new lines.”
Theres hardly any news titles with that headline. Most people are appreciating it because he was able to keep a faster car behind for 10 laps. Even in Alonso's quote that you've edited, he mentions it was Lewis who was making the mistakes and he figured it out himself and once he did he was able to pass Sainz. Not saying he taught Hamilton or anything. Rosberg was saying the exact same thing on live commentary. Maybe Alonso paid him off too?

Andres125sx

atanatizante wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 10:07
I don`t know if this official document was posted before ...

https://postimages.org/

:mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: =D>

NathanOlder

Maybe if Alonso didn't put so much effort in to holding back Hamilton, he would have had the time and tyres to attack Sainz. Could have been a double podium for Alpine. Lewis would have struggled to pass Vettel as Vettel had DRS most of the time.

as for the racing line comment, Hamilton has to be the master of the Hungaroring with 8 wins to his name. Maybe Alonso was taking the wrong lines and Lewis was the on the right lines lol
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Ryar

NathanOlder wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 11:50
Maybe if Alonso didn't put so much effort in to holding back Hamilton, he would have had the time and tyres to attack Sainz. Could have been a double podium for Alpine. Lewis would have struggled to pass Vettel as Vettel had DRS most of the time.

as for the racing line comment, Hamilton has to be the master of the Hungaroring with 8 wins to his name. Maybe Alonso was taking the wrong lines and Lewis was the on the right lines lol
Alonso was fighting to save his team mate's race and he decided to hold Hamilton back. Great team job there.

Let's look at the record from 2014 onwards.

2014 - 2 Second a lap faster car, still can't shake off Alonso in front and at the same stage, got overtaken by Ricciardo who wins the race.
2015 - Loses start from pole and then makes a big error to lose chunks of positions to eventually finish at 6th.
2017 - Got stuck behind Kimi for 23 laps and unable to shake him.
2019 - Good job on on strategy and a good drive where he only had to overtake Max on worn tyres.
2018, 2020 - Straight forward drive from pole.
2021 - Stuck behind Alonso for 10 laps.

Did I miss anything? What lines should Alonso learn from Hamilton here?
Hakuna Matata!

Jolle
Jolle

Ryar wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 13:01
NathanOlder wrote:

Alonso was fighting to save his team mate's race and he decided to hold Hamilton back. Great team job there.

2014 - 2 Second a lap faster car, still can't shake off Alonso in front and at the same stage, got overtaken by Ricciardo who wins the race.
2015 - Loses start from pole and then makes a big error to lose chunks of positions to eventually finish at 6th.
2019 - Good job on on strategy and a good drive where he only had to overtake Max on worn tyres.

Ah, yea. That good old 2014 Hungarian GP, Alonso’s last podium finish. Those were the days where he could keep a Mercedes that started from pitlane behind him at the end of a race. These days he can’t even manage that anymore 🤣🤣

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Is this thread even really about the Hungarian GP anymore, or is it your common Facebook/Insta comment section page about my driver the best and everyone else sucks, without anyone being able to prove anything OR change anyone’s mind?

A suggestion might be to start a new thread called ”My driver is better than your driver” and keep these pointless debates there instead? Easier for the mods, easier for everyone who are tired of this.

PS - maybe create a poll there as well, to see how many people have actually changed their minds about a certain driver in the light of arguments being brought forward by a fanboy on the other side of the fence. That result should likely give an indication about the waste of time this is.

NathanOlder

Ryar wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

2 lines, the first line being to the chequered flag first 8 times, and the 2nd line being to the line to a capable team to be able to win more than any other man in history. those are 2 good lines to follow fella.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ringo

I am selectively responding to Kingshark and Ryar.

End of the day Champion drive by the Defending Champion and now Championship leader.

Mediocre drive by the Redbull.

Redbull will be fighting hard to get on pole in Spa and take back the lead

Mercedes will be fighting hard, but taking less risk to maintain and grow the lead.

If Lewis has 33 point lead with 5 races left. He will show Max how to close the season.
For Sure!!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Ryar wrote:

Did I miss anything?
Yeah, why start at 2014? How about 2007 when a rookie annoyed Alonso so much he got himself a grid demotion and the rookie went on to win the race... :wink:

That 2007 was the same year that the rookie took 6 poles and Alonso only 2, wasn't it? THe year the rookie got the same number of points as Alonso and finished higher in the title standings thanks to count back.

Or 2008 when Alonso was languishing in a relatively poor car having got himself ejected from the team du jour. Could have had a third title that year.

I have to admit to having a cheeky thought that what was really going through Alonso's head wasn't "I've got to help Ocon" but rather "this is for 2007, you bastard!" :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

sosic2121
sosic2121

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 14:36
Ryar wrote:

Did I miss anything?
Yeah, why start at 2014? How about 2007 when a rookie annoyed Alonso so much he got himself a grid demotion and the rookie went on to win the race... :wink:

That 2007 was the same year that the rookie took 6 poles and Alonso only 2, wasn't it? THe year the rookie got the same number of points as Alonso and finished higher in the title standings thanks to being favored by his own team
Or 2008 when Alonso was languishing in a relatively poor car having got himself ejected from the team du jour. Could have had a third title that year.

I have to admit to having a cheeky thought that what was really going through Alonso's head wasn't "I've got to help Ocon" but rather "this is for 2007, you bastard!" :lol:
I fixed it for you. No need to thank me, I know you will appreciate it

djones
djones

It's incredibly interesting to watch how after almost every race people try and scrape what they can out of Hamilton.

This race is about how ultra amazing Alonso is #-o

A racing driver is a package and it's not just about their one-lap speed. It goes all the way to how you control the team, how you put yourself in the best car etc. To that end, Hamilton is the greatest of all time and Alsonso is simply a good driver.

Starts 277 vs 322
Championships 7 v 2
Wins 99 vs 32
Podiums 173 vs 97
Poles 101 vs 22

Utter utter domination over Alonso; so to anybody trying to angle a few laps on a track you can't overtake.... see the bigger picture and calm down a little :)

dans79

sosic2121 wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 14:44
Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 14:36
Ryar wrote:

Did I miss anything?

That 2007 was the same year that the rookie took 6 poles and Alonso only 2, wasn't it? THe year the rookie got the same number of points as Alonso and finished higher in the title standings thanks to being favored by his own team

I fixed it for you. No need to thank me, I know you will appreciate it
When you alienate your team, they do have a tendency to favor the other driver!
197 104 103 7

aral
aral

Guys, can you not stop this silly trolling commenting which could be construed as libel and are also personal attacks on a family? The topic is the Hungarian GP, so please keep your comments clean and on topic.

DChemTech
DChemTech

The problem is not that the claims that are being made are false or unverifiable or whatever, it is that they are completely irrelevant for the discussion at hand, and in particular, for the Hungary race thread. Yes, Max is an aggressive driver, and one can question whether he learns enough from his mistake. That does not he is at fault for every (racing) incident he is involved in (nor does Hamilton being a generally rather clean and civil driver mean that he is infallible in every incident he is involved in). And let's remember, the incident that this ongoing discussion is mostly related to did not even happen in Hungary. So yeah, no surprise a moderator steps in here.