Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
User avatar
jjn9128
664
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Formula E

Post

Big Tea wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:36 pm
Skippon wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:22 pm
Isn't it more of a case of, if you were Toto or Mercedes HPP, wouldn't you want your best Motor/Inverter engineers in F1 for 2025/6 rule re-write where ERS is stronger; than keep them in FE ????
But they have done their work in FE now, It would not need the top development team to carry over.

I see where they are coming from. In the first couple of years I thought FE was going to be the new 'thing' and give it a few years to develop. as the technology improved, so did the likeness to games.
I have watched hardly any of it this last 2 seasons as it is just annoying. There are more crashes than dodgems, the driver that attracts the kids gets 'power boost' aid and collecting the coins gives you rainbows.

Not for me any longer, Merc probably feel the same way. There is probably more mileage in it for them if they develop a 'Merc racer Game' to play on line and win a day at the agency.
There were actually a couple of proper tracks this year with CoViD. The Valencia track and in Mexico. But then in Valencia all the teams ran out of energy because of a safety car, and in Mexico Wehrlein was DSQ'd after winning because Porsche messed up the car passport and didn't declare the right starting tyres. So annoying, typical FIA stuff.

I want to love Formula E but for every good thing there's like 3/4 irritating things.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

User avatar
Andres125sx
363
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: Formula E

Post

aran.vtec wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:56 am
So Merc is pulling out of Formula E , Beginning of the end for the series?

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/ne ... a/6648187/
I´d say you were one of those who said FE would only last 1 or 2 seasons as much, right? :lol: :lol:

Did you notice even after Mercedes departure there will still be a lot more manufacturers in FE than in F1?

User avatar
nzjrs
126
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:21 am
Location: Austria/UK

Re: Formula E

Post

Andres125sx wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:01 am
aran.vtec wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:56 am
So Merc is pulling out of Formula E , Beginning of the end for the series?

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/ne ... a/6648187/
I´d say you were one of those who said FE would only last 1 or 2 seasons as much, right? :lol: :lol:

Did you notice even after Mercedes departure there will still be a lot more manufacturers in FE than in F1?
Your 'electric has to win' is often as tiring as 'electric has to lose'. If you don't want the threads to deteriorate into petty environmentalism fights then don't engage with posts that are bait, and don't throw bait back.

DChemTech
DChemTech
72
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:31 am
Location: Delft, NL

Re: Formula E

Post

In any case, the challenges of modern-day personal transport have preciously little to do with the things that racecars compete on (particularly, being the fastest). As such, the relevance of racecar development for road technology is not that high, and whenever a series is pseudo-spec to enable spectacle, it's only reduced further.
So the success of any particular racing series says very little about the state of the associated road car technology. It probably tells more about how well the "spectacle-enabling" regulations land with the audience, and therefor, sponsors.

User avatar
Starscreamer
26
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:42 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Formula E

Post

#33 2 THE MAX V3RSTAPP3N

User avatar
jjn9128
664
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Formula E

Post

#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

mzso
mzso
42
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:52 pm

Re: Formula E

Post

I wonder why manufacturers are leaving. It's low cost, and gives some amount of recognition. Especially Mercedes, who just freed up hills of money due to the F1 cost cap. Plus it's related in know-how to F1 due to hybrid power-trains. If nothing else, engineers can be trained in the unrestricted (as far as I know) FE environment on electric technology.
Makes no sense.

User avatar
RedNEO
35
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:58 am

Re: Formula E

Post

mzso wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:27 pm
I wonder why manufacturers are leaving. It's low cost, and gives some amount of recognition. Especially Mercedes, who just freed up hills of money due to the F1 cost cap. Plus it's related in know-how to F1 due to hybrid power-trains. If nothing else, engineers can be trained in the unrestricted (as far as I know) FE environment on electric technology.
Makes no sense.
But it does makes sense. Mercedes will follow BMW and Audi out of FE. If there’s a competing tech that is coming that will outlast batteries and is more eco friendly there’s simply no way around it, you have to market that and put everything into that with F1.

F1 will now give the manufacturers everything they wanted from FE regarding eco messaging without losing the massive F1 following and it will not send costs through the roof. At the end of the day FE is beaten, the writing is on the wall. Sustainable fuels that don’t create more Co2 are the future and even harvesting co2 from the atmosphere to make them.

mzso
mzso
42
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:52 pm

Re: Formula E

Post

RedNEO wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:38 pm
the writing is on the wall. Sustainable fuels that don’t create more Co2 are the future and even harvesting co2 from the atmosphere to make them.
At best bio-fuels (syn fuels are phantasmagoria) will be a smaller nieche where weight is cardinal, even then they'll still be electric, because wasting like 2/3 of the hard produced fuel is crazy.

DChemTech
DChemTech
72
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:31 am
Location: Delft, NL

Re: Formula E

Post

mzso wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:25 pm
RedNEO wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:38 pm
If there’s a competing tech that is coming that will outlast batteries and is more eco friendly there’s simply no way around it, you have to market that and put everything into that with F1.
But there isn't and won't be.
RedNEO wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:38 pm
the writing is on the wall. Sustainable fuels that don’t create more Co2 are the future and even harvesting co2 from the atmosphere to make them.
You must be reading the writing on an inner wall of a mental institution, because that's not happening.
At best bio-fuels (syn fuels are phantasmagoria) will be a smaller nieche where weight is cardinal, even then they'll still be electric, because wasting like 2/3 of the hard produced fuel is crazy.
Don't get dragged into this discussion too much... we've had this discussion in one of his own topics at length, where the author unfortunately did not show a very deep understanding of the respective challenges, technical aspects and life-cycle aspects of both electric and bio/synfuels (and all attempts at correction were either strawmanned or thrown out of the window). Some people just seem to have a very strong emotional prejudice against electric, be it due to the reduced noise levels or because the lack of a healthy petrol smell... anyway, emotions are rarely changed by facts.

User avatar
nzjrs
126
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:21 am
Location: Austria/UK

Re: Formula E

Post

I guess news of the pull-out is somewhat a sign of the completion and the direction of the next generation of FE talks?

User avatar
RedNEO
35
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:58 am

Re: Formula E

Post

DChemTech wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:13 pm
mzso wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:25 pm
RedNEO wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:38 pm
If there’s a competing tech that is coming that will outlast batteries and is more eco friendly there’s simply no way around it, you have to market that and put everything into that with F1.
But there isn't and won't be.
RedNEO wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:38 pm
the writing is on the wall. Sustainable fuels that don’t create more Co2 are the future and even harvesting co2 from the atmosphere to make them.
You must be reading the writing on an inner wall of a mental institution, because that's not happening.
At best bio-fuels (syn fuels are phantasmagoria) will be a smaller nieche where weight is cardinal, even then they'll still be electric, because wasting like 2/3 of the hard produced fuel is crazy.
Don't get dragged into this discussion too much... we've had this discussion in one of his own topics at length, where the author unfortunately did not show a very deep understanding of the respective challenges, technical aspects and life-cycle aspects of both electric and bio/synfuels (and all attempts at correction were either strawmanned or thrown out of the window). Some people just seem to have a very strong emotional prejudice against electric, be it due to the reduced noise levels or because the lack of a healthy petrol smell... anyway, emotions are rarely changed by facts.
And how did that work out for you? I’ll remind you.. it worked out that the majority agreed that the direction we and F1 as a byproduct are going isn’t electric but sustainable fuels.

User avatar
RedNEO
35
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:58 am

Re: Formula E

Post

You can add Mercedes officially to the list of people who agreed with me now.
https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/ne ... s/6649862/

User avatar
Andres125sx
363
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: Formula E

Post

nzjrs wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:45 am
Andres125sx wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:01 am
aran.vtec wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:56 am
So Merc is pulling out of Formula E , Beginning of the end for the series?

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/ne ... a/6648187/
I´d say you were one of those who said FE would only last 1 or 2 seasons as much, right? :lol: :lol:

Did you notice even after Mercedes departure there will still be a lot more manufacturers in FE than in F1?
Your 'electric has to win' is often as tiring as 'electric has to lose'. If you don't want the threads to deteriorate into petty environmentalism fights then don't engage with posts that are bait, and don't throw bait back.
Where did you read or interpret "electric has to win" in my post mate?

I only laughed because I´m reading that sort of BS long before FE season 1. We´re in season 7 and still some people use any excuse to keep repeating same BS #-o

Anycase as DChemTech said, emotions are rarely changed by facts, haters gonna hate anycase. Exposing them to reality is fun tough :mrgreen:


Oh and even when I did never said that, yes, electric has to win :P :lol: A different matter is if it will be feed with current batteries, with a different technology batteries (LiAir, LiS, solid state...), with hydrogen fuel cells, a small fusion reactor or any other. But future is electric anycase. To me biofuels, etc are same as hybrids, just a transition technology until the battery problem is finally solved

User avatar
nzjrs
126
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:21 am
Location: Austria/UK

Re: Formula E

Post

Andres125sx wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:14 pm
nzjrs wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:45 am
Andres125sx wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:01 am


I´d say you were one of those who said FE would only last 1 or 2 seasons as much, right? :lol: :lol:

Did you notice even after Mercedes departure there will still be a lot more manufacturers in FE than in F1?
Your 'electric has to win' is often as tiring as 'electric has to lose'. If you don't want the threads to deteriorate into petty environmentalism fights then don't engage with posts that are bait, and don't throw bait back.
Where did you read or interpret "electric has to win" in my post mate?

I only laughed because I´m reading that sort of BS long before FE season 1.
Don't miss the wood for the trees mate...

It's a comment on your general posture in this thread and others. You never miss an opportunity to take or give the bait.

You participate in the BS you say you hate.

(The icing was of course the admission at the end. Don't bury the lede as they say)
Last edited by nzjrs on Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.