Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Ferrari F14T

I might have came about too bold on the first post I agree :).

It's difficult to give you an idea by just explaining it in words. Both wings aren't exactly 90's ones, and both are complex structures. I'll really have to draw up the ferrari wing too.
#AeroFrodo

wesley123
wesley123

turbof1 wrote: I've analysed the mercedes wing a lot, I know what I'm talking about :wink: . It's certainly not about more or fewer bits (ferrari uses more elements, infact). It's about the detailing. Several similar ideas are on both cars. For instance both run an inverted gurney tab on the wing right in front of wheel, and both try to box in airflow on the wing in front of the tyre and divert it with an agressive angle. Both actually use the wing flap adjuster as some sort of sidewall, but mercedes uses a far more elaborate design in that aspect. Endplate/footplate wise there is much more detailing too.

Of course it's not as simple as copying the mercedes wing, but it IS a step further up then what ferrari has now. No fanboyism, just a throughout analysis (and I do hope Steven hurries up with getting my development blog up about the mercedes wing, really excited about that).
Mercedes' wing has been a continuous development from 2012. Ferrari's wing is brand new.

The Mercedes' wing has quite a lot of laps everywhere, which is great but also shows how far it is in development. When there is fairly little to improve anymore on the design the development tends to be to place winglets everywhere. And that is exactly what mercedes' wing has.

Ferrari's wing on the other hand, has not, it is a new design with lots of room for development.

To say it is a step up compared to Ferrari's wing, that's a bit far fetched because you don't know their performance, or even their performance related to the car.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

f300v10
f300v10

aleks_ader wrote:
f1316 wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Ferrari digging through the bin for last years parts heh. I'm quite surprised at the lack of cooling changes for this test.
I was just thinking about this; seems quite encouraging to me that Ferrari are no having to make additional holes or try large cooling vents at the back etc. Their cooling is almost exactly the same as it was when they started in Jerez, which indicates they've got a good level of tolerance there.
I dont think that is the case last set of pictures from user @Thunder shows some anomaly on the F14T back. There are clearly a lot temp sensor stickers which i could safely conclude that is new refined cooling solution. BUT for final judgment we need more pictures to be 100% sure, but all point toward that conclusion.

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Kim ... 758181.jpg

EDIT 1if compare with that picture. Its strange...Almost the same, but surfaces finishing are unrefined...
http://i.imgur.com/JIIVsfV.jpg
This is clearly new engine cover bodywork with a larger hot air exit around the engine exhaust. Also the rear wing endplate has lost the detached trailing edge winglet.

f1316
f1316

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... ult-rivals

Strange that they refer to 'new nose designs' on the Ferrari - we certainly haven't seen anything obvious in the pics. Maybe they mean front wings but that would be a strange error in terminology.

wesley123
wesley123

bhallg2k wrote:Finally! I've been waiting on this development for years.

This helps the front wing create more downforce while the car is turning than it does when the car is going straight, which is ideal, because that's when you need downforce the most. Other teams have used this feature for quite some time now. But, for whatever reason - probably due to the team's infamous "correlation issues" over the past few years - Ferrari has not.
Ferrari has done this for a while now as well. Already since 2011 when they showed their new wing at the end of the year. It was McLaren who was extremely late to the party.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Rhodium

f1316 wrote:http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... ult-rivals

Strange that they refer to 'new nose designs' on the Ferrari - we certainly haven't seen anything obvious in the pics. Maybe they mean front wings but that would be a strange error in terminology.

perhaps they talk about that ?

Postmoe

Rhodium wrote:
f1316 wrote:http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... ult-rivals

perhaps they talk about that ?

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/77801 ... 299800.jpg
Engineer pants?

turbof1

wesley123 wrote:
turbof1 wrote: I've analysed the mercedes wing a lot, I know what I'm talking about :wink: . It's certainly not about more or fewer bits (ferrari uses more elements, infact). It's about the detailing. Several similar ideas are on both cars. For instance both run an inverted gurney tab on the wing right in front of wheel, and both try to box in airflow on the wing in front of the tyre and divert it with an agressive angle. Both actually use the wing flap adjuster as some sort of sidewall, but mercedes uses a far more elaborate design in that aspect. Endplate/footplate wise there is much more detailing too.

Of course it's not as simple as copying the mercedes wing, but it IS a step further up then what ferrari has now. No fanboyism, just a throughout analysis (and I do hope Steven hurries up with getting my development blog up about the mercedes wing, really excited about that).
Mercedes' wing has been a continuous development from 2012. Ferrari's wing is brand new.

The Mercedes' wing has quite a lot of laps everywhere, which is great but also shows how far it is in development. When there is fairly little to improve anymore on the design the development tends to be to place winglets everywhere. And that is exactly what mercedes' wing has.

Ferrari's wing on the other hand, has not, it is a new design with lots of room for development.

To say it is a step up compared to Ferrari's wing, that's a bit far fetched because you don't know their performance, or even their performance related to the car.
*meant a step up in terms of development. I of course don't know how they actually perform. Given mercedes decided to keep things unchanged until now, I'd assume it performs 'well'. The new ferrari wing is a wait and see game.

I agree the mercedes is further up the development curve, but not that the ferrari wing is completely new. Cascades and endplate are definitely the same as the ones we saw in 2013. The plain wing itself is new though.

The development curves of these wings are relative though. If teams recuperate enough rear downforce throughout the year chances are they might have to introduce complete new wings entirely, since adjusting the flap angle a bit too much could lead to disturbing the airflow structures.
#AeroFrodo

beelsebob
beelsebob

turbof1 wrote:I might have came about too bold on the first post I agree :).

It's difficult to give you an idea by just explaining it in words. Both wings aren't exactly 90's ones, and both are complex structures. I'll really have to draw up the ferrari wing too.
Sweet, I look forward to it :D

beelsebob
beelsebob

Postmoe wrote:Engineer pants?
No, but I do think it's just photos taken from slightly different angles.

Blackout

Like I said and like turbo1 and others said; the Ferrari wing has also been a continuous development from... 2011 atleast. Many of its features has been used in 2013 and 2012.

Crabbia
Crabbia

aleks_ader wrote:
I dont think that is the case last set of pictures from user @Thunder shows some anomaly on the F14T back. There are clearly a lot temp sensor stickers which i could safely conclude that is new refined cooling solution. BUT for final judgment we need more pictures to be 100% sure, but all point toward that conclusion.

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Kim ... 758181.jpg

EDIT 1if compare with that picture. Its strange...Almost the same, but surfaces finishing are unrefined...
http://i.imgur.com/JIIVsfV.jpg
i think the shroud around the exhaust is slightly wider. Look at where the engine cover ends in relation the the RW supports. old on the are in line with the RW supports, new one the engine cover comes further out in relation the the RW supports.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

Postmoe

beelsebob wrote:
Postmoe wrote:Engineer pants?
No, but I do think it's just photos taken from slightly different angles.
As always, perspective tricks, so it can be anything... but I'd bet this redish thing that breaks the perspective an makes you thing there are differences in the pylons are engineer pants.

jonaliew
jonaliew

Some analysis of Ferrari's upgrade package for this final test from technical analyst CRAIG SCARBOROUGH:

"Finally we get to see the new spec front wing on the F14 T.

"Its new wing features some seven elements on the outer tips, with the main plane split into two elements, then there's two flaps one of which is also split into three elements.

"So many slots allow Ferrari to work the outer tips of the wing harder, both for downforce and to turn the wake around the front tyre.

"This wing is also sports a new endplate with a far simpler open-sided shape than the launch spec wing.

"both wings use an unusual slotted fin running along the top of the endplate."

.poz
.poz

As you can see there is some change in nosecone, look at the white stripe under the camera dummy (new one on the right)

Or maybe they just changed the painting or is the usual different camera angle .....