Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
sidmiester
sidmiester

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

gonzo_sbz wrote:Mercedes lacks a clever exhaust system. They are clearly behind in that area and needs to exploit that potential! If not earlier we have to wait for Barcelona? Or will there be a new exhaust version even this weekend in Sepang?
maybe exhaust updates will arrive during european races...

aduka11
aduka11

tok-tokkie wrote:^^^^
What a peculiar post!
He took pictures of something we are very interested in & posted them here. It is his function. Mercedes function is to develop the stuff and protect their proprietary information. Ours is to uncover it. They had a bit of a failure here but Michael did a sterling job earlier.
Sadly we know where the entry hole is (well we believe it is the entry hole) but we still aren't sure where the exit is.
Who doesnt knows where the entry is?

Actually from what i've read here...98% of our knowledge is based on what Scrabs posts on his tweet page.

blokkie
blokkie

aduka11 wrote:
Who doesnt knows where the entry is?

Actually from what i've read here...98% of our knowledge is based on what Scrabs posts on his tweet.

I often read ideas and theory's here first to then see them more in detail worked out on Scarbs .
The big diff I see is that here it get's spread around diff forum-threads while Scarb nicely put's it in a easy readable article.

e30ernest
e30ernest

Actually, we aren't even 100% sure which is the entry hole. :D I doubt the other teams know 100% how it works either. Maybe that's why they are seeking an FIA clarification. Maybe they are hoping to be fed more clues.

The pictures are interesting. Probably one of our first close looks at the race-spec rear-end. I wish we could get more definitive photos of the underside of the FW though. That should prove or put to rest the idea of a FW stalling system.

pocketmoon

via Twitter, FIA again confirm Mercedes RW/Duct is legal.

I'm hoping Ross will now push for a review of McLaren/RB exhaust blowing now their passive f-duct is secure.

Tubbs

raymondu999 wrote:Did anyone pull up the DRS flap and take a closeup of the DRS endplate duct?
Wouldn't dream of touching the car, the marshals looked after it pretty well before the tow truck came no one touched the car at all as far as I saw. besides the marshal that got over excited and blasted it with the fire extinguisher.
Hail22 wrote:If I was Norbert Haug i would be severely peed off that some drunken ape spilled beer over a 20 odd million dollar car.....
I wasn't drunk at all! Let alone an ape, and I know how to keep a beer balanced hahaha
sidmiester wrote:to Tubbs....

taking pic is nice but could you not keep it for yourself????...
The car was in a public place and I was taking photos of it... Problem?
Im a massive fan of this website but mostly a lurker, the information you read on here that is "very insightful" is gained from pictures of cars from testing/in garages/during races/exposed by crashes ect ect. Sorry for not keeping some quick snapshots in a public place strictly private...

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

kris
kris

Any new gills seen on the W03?

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

According to MotorsportTotal RBR will Protest against Mercedes "Adrian Newey: Ross Brawn infringed against the so called "Gentlemens Agreement" from 2011 which included a ban of an F-Duct in any form.

What happened to RBR ? After 1,5 Years pure dominance and still almost a sec ahead of Merc they consider it necessary to protest.

Brawn said that the RBR exhaust solution is a borderline solution too ?

Sadly too much politics in this Sport

Question: Why is Sam Michael Screaming like that ?
Last edited by TimmTurbo on 22 Mar 2012, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.

bot6
bot6

From FrukostScones' pictures above:

1. The crash structure and the sidepod inlet shape are really fused together. That's what allows Merc to have this very thin top to the sidepod, a razor sharp edge on the top where most other teams have a very thick surface there to fit the crash structure.

2. The general layout of the sidepod seems very Redbullesque: the long radiators (bye bye double decker rads), with the electronics stuffed under them close to the car centerline, allowing for a decent undercut. And the electronics also seem to have more "room to breathe", which can only help for their cooling.

Very different from last year!

Shakeman

RRA was a bit more than a Gentleman's agreement, no?

Someone doesn't like a bit of competition.

This could get messy.
Last edited by Shakeman on 22 Mar 2012, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Shakeman wrote:RIA was a bit more than a Gentleman's agreement, no?

This could get messy.
RIA?

prince
prince

Huntresa wrote:
Shakeman wrote:RIA was a bit more than a Gentleman's agreement, no?

This could get messy.
RIA?
He means RRA i guess. Resource Restriction Agreement.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Which has nothing to do with the F-Duct

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

F-Duct hast nothing to do with the teams resources i guess. I assume they are referring to the aerodynamic or overtaking workingroup they hat in previous years. Brawn Newey and Byrne where one of the members as far as i can recall.

They probably meet up every once in a while up until now