Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Giando

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

Blaze1 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 16:57
Okay, I see what you mean. I guess we'll have to wait until Monday for some good overhead shots.
Check this out.

To me, the push rod arm link to the hub is even further backwards compared to the upper wishbone pivot,
so it has to be external to the wheel rim...

dans79

SuperCNJ wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 16:24
There's been some talk about Merc finding more efficiency with the power unit and clearly there is more performance to be had somewhere, judging by Ferrari's car last year. Just wondering if anyone has heard any more about whether Merc has actually found more power and where?
back in December Toto had this to say.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14056 ... 019-engine
we've had a little bit of a setback on the engine side where we believed the new concept would deliver a little bit more.
In mid January AutoBild if memory serves claimed that Mercedes had picked up 12HP thanks to new fuel and lubricants from Personas.

At launch Andy Cowell had this to say.
https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/merced ... irst-time/
We’ve made changes to the cooling architecture of the Power Unit, which hopefully provide aerodynamic benefit on the car and also provide efficiency benefit on the Power Unit – so, hopefully a win on both the chassis and on the Power Unit,
“Right at the heart of the Power Unit is the conversion of fuel into heat release in the combustion chamber and useful work out of the crankshaft. We have made steps on the combustion efficiency and on the ERS system. The marriage between the turbocharger assembly with the MGU-H, the inverter, the cells and the MGU-K: that whole system is now capable of operating more efficiently and helping with energy deployment through a race.”
“The fuel is right at the heart of the combustion and making sure that the chemical composition and the thermodynamic architecture of the Power Unit are working together exceptionally well is key to thermal efficiency,” said Andy. “PETRONAS have continued to work well with our thermodynamic engineers, we’ve run many candidates on the single cylinder and on the V6 engine to derive a new fuel for 2019.
“If you have got an efficient engine with efficient aerodynamics and you are prepared to do a little bit of lift and coasting, then you have the opportunity to start the race at less than 110kg,” explained Andy. “For every 5kg of weight you save, it’s about two tenths of a second a lap quicker, so there is a natural reward to starting the race a little bit lighter. There is still a competitive edge from making an efficient car – both Power Unit and aerodynamics – and racing smartly to make sure that you have good pace at the start of the race as well as through the race.”
197 104 103 7

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

El_KaPpa wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 15:53
I can only assume as being vented outside ( it's allowed ? ) or it's because of Go Pro recording without filters compared with official onboard.
The sound is likely coming from the airbox, or the chimney on top of it (assuming the W10 has one like the W09 did).
The official onboard is sometimes not in synch with what the car is doing, but I doubt it filters out such noticeable sounds - you never know with the FIA though.
turbof1 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 15:26
IMO, the car was far from running full power. It's even possible the MGU-H was turned off, so naturally the wastegate had to be used to be able to vent the gasses.
Hmm, it seems to keep coming back to the MGU-H, El_KaPpa mentioned it too. But since the battery can barely run a single lap, wouldn't running the car without MGU-H quickly lead to cooling problems? Otherwise, its plausible that they are running the car in a weird low power configuration.

dans79

GrandAxe wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 18:10
turbof1 wrote:
IMO, the car was far from running full power. It's even possible the MGU-H was turned off, so naturally the wastegate had to be used to be able to vent the gasses.
Hmm, it seems to keep coming back to the MGU-H, El_KaPpa mentioned it too. But since the battery can barely run a single lap, wouldn't running the car without MGU-H quickly lead to cooling problems? Otherwise, its plausible that they are running the car in a weird low power configuration.
What I think he means is the car was running on the ICE only, no harvesting or deployment from the MGU-H or MGU-K.
197 104 103 7

Sierra117

dans79 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 18:18
GrandAxe wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
What I think he means is the car was running on the ICE only, no harvesting or deployment from the MGU-H or MGU-K.
Could there be some influence on the audio from air exiting the exhaust strip here? Camera is mounted right on top.

NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Sierra117

Nice view of the FW and its height.
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

OO7
OO7

Giando wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:04
Blaze1 wrote:
Okay, I see what you mean. I guess we'll have to wait until Monday for some good overhead shots.
Check this out.

To me, the push rod arm link to the hub is even further backwards compared to the upper wishbone pivot,

http://i65.tinypic.com/az7ygz.jpg
For (not the best) comparison:
Not the best comparison pictures, but I can't notice much of a difference myself...........

mantikos
mantikos

Blaze1 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 19:48
Giando wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:04
Blaze1 wrote:
Check this out.

For (not the best) comparison:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWovZC7WsAAAu6M.jpg
https://images.scribblelive.com/2018/2/ ... 78_800.jpg
Not the best comparison pictures, but I can't notice much of a difference myself...........
Ditto

Giando

Again, i am sorry guys but i must insist on my point.

I believe the following screenshots taken from the video posted above do not leave much doubt.

The additonal pivot for the push/rod arm is definitely there.

Do you agree?

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

dans79 wrote:
GrandAxe wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
Right, I get it now.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Sierra117 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 19:29
dans79 wrote:
GrandAxe wrote:

Could there be some influence on the audio from air exiting the exhaust strip here? Camera is mounted right on top.

https://image.prntscr.com/image/7-GCa7D ... ly03yA.png
The image isn't displaying. Your server says "403 Forbidden".

bill shoe
bill shoe

Giando wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 02:01
Again, i am sorry guys but i must insist on my point.

I believe the following screenshots taken from the video posted above do not leave much doubt.

Do you agree?
Yep, that seems absolutely correct now. Good call. =D> =D> =D> =D>

The FIA passed a rule a season or two ago (in response to Red Bull doing a similar pushrod location) that limits the vertical ride height change to 5 or 10 mm as steering goes through full lock. So Merc is either doing something a little more clever than that, or they are simply making sure they are right up on the FIA limit. The Merc upper control arm and resulting kingpin axis would tend to force the Merc pivot point even further inboard than Red Bull.

For many years these cars have enclosed all the interesting suspension bits under nosecones or behind wheel shrouds. Some of the important kinematic parts are starting to cautiously stick theirs heads out in to the sunlight where we can see them again!!

ringo

turbof1 wrote:
GrandAxe wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 15:09
Drica wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 14:59

Wastegates/blow off valves opening
El_KaPpa wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 01:51
Yes sounds like a wastgate turbo flutter. Maybe this one is part of the anti-lag system solution from 2021 when the MGU-H "probably" will disappear so they are looking ahead a bit. Just a thought..
Interesting. Thanks you both.
Would you have any idea why its so pronounced this year? El_KaPpa has suggested something.
The car always uses the BOV and wastegates, you cannot assume MGUH was off.
The main difference here is that merc chose to put the mic very close to the engine, and there are no other cars on track, so relatively we are hearing the car by itself clearer than we could have if it were on a grand prix weekend.

to comment on a few observations:

front push rod may not be pivoted, it may just have an aerodynamic bulb shape, possibly related to flow behind the brake duct. I dpn't see why they would pivot a pushrod; it just wouldnt work; and would present a reliability problem.

Front wing is high near the endplates, possibly to allow less obstruction of air flowing under the car to around and in between the tyres and chassis towards the floor.

Side pod overall air intakes are not bigger. It seem to have the same frontal open area but more squared. Imagine a 2x8 rectangle and a 4x4 rectangle. Different shapes, same area.

What was done was to make the car narrower, but sacrifice a bit of the flow around the upper surface area of the floor, to possibly reduce drag and improve rear wing efficiency. They have have done a good job with the diffuser to compensate for this sacrifice.

Overall it's an evolution of last year's car really. Not many big changes. The big question is have they resolved their suspension issues as it relates to tyre management.
For Sure!!

Sierra117

GrandAxe wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 02:29
Sierra117 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 19:29
dans79 wrote:

https://image.prntscr.com/image/7-GCa7D ... ly03yA.png
The image isn't displaying. Your server says "403 Forbidden".
Guess I should choose a better host.

It could be just the lower speed and lack of pressure being put on the engine. Going faster and pushing naturally would push out exhaust gases faster and more "neatly" ... idk just a thought lel.
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

PhillipM
PhillipM

ringo wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 04:16
front push rod may not be pivoted, it may just have an aerodynamic bulb shape, possibly related to flow behind the brake duct. I dpn't see why they would pivot a pushrod; it just wouldnt work; and would present a reliability problem.
If you don't pivot your front pushrods you're going to have a lot of problems with steering.... :lol: