Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
csponton
csponton

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

I noticed that the onboard Mercedes drivers during their rounds very often control by pressing the +10 / +1 (multifunction switch) parameter. This parameter in the qualifying lap Rosberg ranged from 57 to 60.5. parameter that is? Balancing braking?

siskue2005

yes brake bias/balancing
after 3 races i think the new displays are fantastic

xDama
xDama

siskue2005 wrote:yes brake bias/balancing
Speaking about the displays: why do teams like Mercedes have such a huge HUD, while RBR races with almost the same steering wheel as last year? Been wondering about that one for a while.
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

mantikos
mantikos

xDama wrote:
Speaking about the displays: why do teams like Mercedes have such a huge HUD, while RBR races with almost the same steering wheel as last year? Been wondering about that one for a while.
Teams had an option to implement the display or use the screen-less layout of yesteryear.

Marc.W

xDama wrote:
I noticed that Rosbergs screen was easily noticeable, but Lewis' had some kind of polarising filter on it where the screen was only visible at 90 degree lock

wesley123
wesley123

EDIT: nvm, video was posted 2 pages ago
Last edited by wesley123 on 11 Apr 2014, 04:48, edited 1 time in total.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

l4mbch0ps
l4mbch0ps

Please read the thread before posting. This video is already posted 2 pages back.

Helios

AM&S reports Mercedes have failed the crash test for their new nose five times.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/bild ... how_item=3
Mercedes will aus Angst vor Red Bull das Entwicklungstempo hochhalten. Immer noch wird an der kurzen Nase gebastelt. Scheint ein echter Zeitgewinn zu sein, wenn sie mal den Crashtest schafft. Sie fiel aber zum fünften Mal durch.
Interesting if true. Mercedes must be absolutely 100% sure the new nose would give them a huge benefit if they tried so often.

aleks_ader

Helios wrote:Interesting if true. Mercedes must be absolutely 100% sure the new nose would give them a huge benefit if they tried so often.
Yes! Indeed.

Honestly they had in-house test facility and that dont hurt them so much. They could re-design/produce parts a lot quicker and cheeper.

If is 200 000 or 1000 000 € it doesn't really matter. If it is worth additional coupple tenths (2-3) is that a great deal.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

aleks_ader wrote:
Helios wrote:Interesting if true. Mercedes must be absolutely 100% sure the new nose would give them a huge benefit if they tried so often.
Yes! Indeed.

Honestly they had in-house test facility and that dont hurt them so much. They could re-design/produce parts a lot quicker and cheeper.

If is 200 000 or 1000 000 € it doesn't really matter. If it is worth additional coupple tenths (2-3) is that a great deal.
At this time they dont even need it for performance anyway. They can take their time with it. The W05 is already unbeatable.
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

SiLo

Surprising that they have failed it so many times. It would make sense to extend the nose slightly to pass the test, but still be shorter than the current one for increased performance.

There huge advantage only means they don't need to rush updates to the car as well. It makes lots of things a lot easier for them!
Felipe Baby!

dans79

Emerson.F wrote: At this time they dont even need it for performance anyway. They can take their time with it. The W05 is already unbeatable.
I wouldn't go that far, Monaco could be iffy. It's short and slow, so the PU advantage they have will be nullified some.
197 104 103 7

Phillyred
Phillyred

I have a feeling as others have suggested that their persistence with trying to get this new nose on the car has a lot to do with their plans for the development of the car as a whole considering how much impact this can have to the fundamental aerodynamics of the car- meaning that this may be holding up progress in other areas of interest they are planning to develop/evolve.

turbof1

Temporarily locked so that I can get the off topic jibber jabber out...

EDIT: open again. A reminder that the car thread is for that: the car. No jibber jabber about tracks. I deleted the ones off topic. Next time I'll be forced to hand out warnings.
#AeroFrodo

PlatinumZealot

Helios wrote:AM&S reports Mercedes have failed the crash test for their new nose five times.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/bild ... how_item=3
Mercedes will aus Angst vor Red Bull das Entwicklungstempo hochhalten. Immer noch wird an der kurzen Nase gebastelt. Scheint ein echter Zeitgewinn zu sein, wenn sie mal den Crashtest schafft. Sie fiel aber zum fünften Mal durch.
Interesting if true. Mercedes must be absolutely 100% sure the new nose would give them a huge benefit if they tried so often.

Guys, listen to me. The simple compact hoover design wouldn't fail so many tests. The twin tusk nose is coming!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN