McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1rules
f1rules

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

sam michael said in an interview today that the new parts will arrive on the last two days of the last test, like last year i quess.

boyracer94
boyracer94

What purpose do the Red Bull/Ferrari style strakes to the top of the diffuser serve? Are they just to tidy up the airflow and do you think McLaren will add some at some point?

chumma
chumma

f1rules wrote:sam michael said in an interview today that the new parts will arrive on the last two days of the last test, like last year i quess.
I wouldn't leave it that late, I'd feel a lot more assured if they were on the car for the entire last test not just 2 days, that isn't much evaluation time. I wonder what we'll see.

f1rules
f1rules

I'm sure all the mechanical parts will stay, only aero will be updated, just like they did last year. Right now it seems to me both the rb and ferrari aero packages looks more refined but I'm sure that will be solved with the last update. Im sure we will see lots of flow conditioners, forexamble on the front side pods, maybe a new floor and diffuser, stuff like that.

wesley123
wesley123

chumma wrote:
f1rules wrote:sam michael said in an interview today that the new parts will arrive on the last two days of the last test, like last year i quess.
I wouldn't leave it that late, I'd feel a lot more assured if they were on the car for the entire last test not just 2 days, that isn't much evaluation time. I wonder what we'll see.
Teams evaluate updates in Free Practice sessions in a race weekend, 2 test days give much, much more time than the regular FP sessions.

When your simulator is correctly correlated to the track you are running on you can do most of the evaluation there already, and then on track take a look at it. i.e did the part behave as expected by the simulator
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Gridlock

miguelalvesreis wrote:
Gridlock wrote:Is that an air pressure sensor, that stolen-from-a-Dyson black tube running across the top of the diffuser?
Isn't that the Gurney flap?
Yup, I thought I saw a tube poking out between the diffuser and the left tyre but looking again its just a weird shape in the photo :roll:

stefan_
stefan_

Jerez - Day 4 (08.02.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

zonk
zonk

fanboy wrote:....
go to talk about it somewhere else, this is a car thread
Last edited by Richard on 08 Feb 2013, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quote of deleted posts

Richard
Richard

zonk wrote:
fanboy wrote:....
go to talk about it somewhere else, this is a car thread
Done!

If it's not on the car, then it's not in this thread.

For people new to the forum...
  • Testing & race threads for timing info & race chatter
  • Car threads should be about the physical features of the car
  • Team threads for conversations about the team - people, sponsorship, management etc.
  • We have a special thread for cheering on your team, prophecies, and trolling :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... f=3&t=7520
[/i]

aral
aral

stefan_ wrote:

That front wing is doing funny things. In first photo, it is scraping the ground. And in the second photo, it is miles off the ground.

zonk
zonk

in first tire is punctured.

Rikhart
Rikhart

stefan_ wrote:Image
What´s that blue smoke coming from the diffuser, and why from the MIDDLE of the diffuser? Interesting picture!

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Its tyre smoke from a lock up most probably.

Rikhart wrote: What´s that blue smoke coming from the diffuser, and why from the MIDDLE of the diffuser? Interesting picture!
My guess: blue smoke from the t-tray/plank scraping due to the whacking great hole in the front left tyre!