McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zonk
zonk

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

or from wood plank scrubbing tarmac.
Last edited by zonk on 08 Feb 2013, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Rikhart wrote:What´s that blue smoke coming from the diffuser, and why from the MIDDLE of the diffuser? Interesting picture!
Might have something to do with the massive puncture of the tyre ?

Rikhart
Rikhart

What would a tyre puncture have to do with blue smoke coming from the top of the diffuser? And I dont think the bodywork is touching the ground yet there.

Rikhart wrote:What would a tyre puncture have to do with blue smoke coming from the top of the diffuser? And I dont think the bodywork is touching the ground yet there.
I think the front of the plank under the t-tray is.

Callum

Rikhart wrote:What would a tyre puncture have to do with blue smoke coming from the top of the diffuser? And I dont think the bodywork is touching the ground yet there.
Because the car is effectively missing a wheel and is scraping along the floor!

aral
aral

Callum wrote:
Because the car is effectively missing a wheel and is scraping along the floor!
OK. I missed the tyre damage. But was it a delamination or a puncture? Looking at the tyre markings, the tyre has not deflated. Otherwise the rim would be down on the ground.

ringo

car has a lot of anti dive...

Very extreme in fact. Any reasons for this in particular? It just seems more than what is usual when compared to the other cars.
Softer smaller lighter front springs, thinner pull rod?
Any dynamic characteristics with curb riding?
Why have they done this?
For Sure!!

zonk
zonk

siskue2005

ringo wrote:car has a lot of anti dive...

Very extreme in fact. Any reasons for this in particular? It just seems more than what is usual when compared to the other cars.
Why have they done this?
isnt that tyre punctured?? :?:

wunderkind
wunderkind

siskue2005 wrote:

Why have they done this?
I think what they meant is even with the tyre puncture, the bottom of the car is still not scraping the track.

f1rules
f1rules

Pierce89

wunderkind wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

Why have they done this?
I think what they meant is even with the tyre puncture, the bottom of the car is still not scraping the track.
He's talking about the angle the a arms are mounted. It has exreme anti dive geometry. I'd say the reason is to keep the front higher on the brakes so so u can run lower static ride height.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Jackles-UK

It has only just struck me how similar the sidepod entry shape is to that of the MP4-23.

Are we presuming that there will be vortex generators/flow conditioners atop the sidepods at a later date? Obviously they have been missing throughout the Jerez test but the 3D model has them (proves nothing I guess though!) and every other team seems to be testing a solution similar. I'd personally welcome a return from the wrap-over vanes of the -27, they seemed to be quite effective. Would it be legal to create a split flow conditioner the same shape as last years but similar in build to the split bargeboards of the F2012?

PhillipM
PhillipM

Pierce89 wrote: It has exreme anti dive geometry. I'd say the reason is to keep the front higher on the brakes so so u can run lower static ride height.
They're angled backward, pro-dive, no?

Testarossa2012
Testarossa2012

Re: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

Some pics of Sergio Pérez Jerez testing, last day:

Sergio Pérez (McLaren) por Testarossa-photo.es, en Flickr

Braking in time (or not) por Testarossa-photo.es, en Flickr

I hope you like!