Williams FW36 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Re: Williams FW36 Mercedes

The rush to cure ‘Jekyll & Hyde’ Williams

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... _Williams/

Sevach
Sevach

LookBackTime wrote:The rush to cure ‘Jekyll & Hyde’ Williams

I can't see this.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Sevach wrote:
LookBackTime wrote:The rush to cure ‘Jekyll & Hyde’ Williams

I can't see this.

Code: Select all

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/482025/The_rush_to_cure_8216Jekyll__Hyde_Williams/
or

Code: Select all

http://richlandf1.com/?p=20562

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

What I can see is that the Williams (probably all Merc cars) is fappin' quick in a straight line! Melbourne straight not long but peaked at 318kph. Pretty sure that'll be at least 20-25kph quicker than last year.

With these long gears what speeds will we be seeing at Monza, etc.

As far as Williams pace, they look best of the rest behind Merc to me. =D> In the dry at least.

PlatinumZealot

Matt Somers wrote:A shot of the Williams push rod movement from the BBC footage

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Somersra ... 5.mp4.html
Now that is interesting to say the least! Extended pushrod under rebound.... some one care to take a stab?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Henning
Henning

n smikle, I don't think it's the rebound causing the change in the push-rod, but the push-rod causing the change in ride height.

Here's my post from a page back
There are two things I notice:
1) By watching the markings on the road, the car is weaving left and right a lot. Possibly behind the safety car or on the parade lap.
2) It seems the push rod extends when the wheel is at full left lock.

It seems that at the point of full left lock, the joint expands and this causes the suspension to lower. This would have the effect of dropping the height of car on that side and rolling" the car into the corner. This would help keep the inside front tyre more planted through the corner keep the heat in the tyre.

Does that all sound plausible and why only at large steering angles? Is there enough downforce in faster (straighter) corners that this is not required?

PlatinumZealot

Henning wrote:n smikle, I don't think it's the rebound causing the change in the push-rod, but the push-rod causing the change in ride height.

Here's my post from a page back
There are two things I notice:
1) By watching the markings on the road, the car is weaving left and right a lot. Possibly behind the safety car or on the parade lap.
2) It seems the push rod extends when the wheel is at full left lock.

It seems that at the point of full left lock, the joint expands and this causes the suspension to lower. This would have the effect of dropping the height of car on that side and rolling" the car into the corner. This would help keep the inside front tyre more planted through the corner keep the heat in the tyre.

Does that all sound plausible and why only at large steering angles? Is there enough downforce in faster (straighter) corners that this is not required?
So you are saying that what we are seeing is some twisted anti thesis of bump steer?
Maybe a cam operated push rod down in the hub...that moves with the angle of steering?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Maynard G. Krebs
Maynard G. Krebs

What is the camera mounted to? The bodywork, right? Because the wheel is moving lower relative to the camera during left hand turns, which I would think means it's making the bodywork higher. But that is not what you would want normally is it?

PhillipM
PhillipM

As per a couple of pages back:
PhillipM wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Having a 2 stage spring effectively allows to to run softer on the inside wheel at high roll angles. As far as I'm aware it's legal but I don't understand why it's done at the hub end of the pushrod.
To disconnect the hub from the damper, they're not just trying to reduce the springrate - you'd just do that with pushrod geometery - they're trying to deliberate excite the hub when the loads are low, probably for keeping more temperature in the front unloaded tyre?

muelte
muelte

r.t.1.n
r.t.1.n

Last edited by r.t.1.n on 27 Mar 2014, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.

stefan_
stefan_

Malaysia 2014 - Wednesday/Thursday (26/27.03.2014)
(re-posting some of the ones above in higher res)
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Godius

edit

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Ever wondered how the Williams FW36 gets its nice @Martini_drinks stripes?