Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
aral
aral

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

FORZA FERRARI wrote:

I don't get it: what are the two tubes and the end of the bodywork intended for? They should exite radiators heat, right?

So why should they channel this heat also from a different way?

Please guys, could you help me understand??
It is difficult to understand what they could be for, but given the way they are squeezed and deformed in the opening, they are probably not a designed outlet. Neither are they specifically aimed at a point where it could be of benefit. Therefore it looks as if they are a temporay solution to a problem, with little air pressure being involved.
Vent for KERS? or maybe to duct hot air from around the troublesome exhaust manifolds?

Forza Ferrari
Forza Ferrari

gilgen wrote:
FORZA FERRARI wrote:

I don't get it: what are the two tubes and the end of the bodywork intended for? They should exite radiators heat, right?

So why should they channel this heat also from a different way?

Please guys, could you help me understand??
It is difficult to understand what they could be for, but given the way they are squeezed and deformed in the opening, they are probably not a designed outlet. Neither are they specifically aimed at a point where it could be of benefit. Therefore it looks as if they are a temporay solution to a problem, with little air pressure being involved.
Vent for KERS? or maybe to duct hot air from around the troublesome exhaust manifolds?
Thanks!

Do you think it can replace the loss of exhaust gases? Can this produce downforce as well?

The_Truth
The_Truth

Ganxxta wrote:Here you go... Seems that Ferraris color is not changing its color with heat like Mercs, but its definitely better to burn the color than to have such bubbles in it...

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Ganxxta wrote:
diego1960 wrote:This year's Ferrari? If so could you provide a pic? I fear that again cooling is going to be a problem for Mercedes. On the other hand, they were able to complete 127 laps without issues so I guess it is not so important at the moment. What will happen though if Australia and Malaysia are way hotter than Barcelona is now?
Here you go... Seems that Ferraris color is not changing its color with heat like Mercs, but its definitely better to burn the color than to have such bubbles in it...
The Ferrari has been like since the launch before the car was even ran. As for the W03, I'm sure they'll get on top of it.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

FORZA FERRARI wrote:I don't get it: what are the two tubes and the end of the bodywork intended for? They should exite radiators heat, right?
If I want to create a flow through a cooler without a high pressure inlet system, I would duct the outlet to a low pressure zone and 'hope' to draw flow out. There is a good chance that they simply did not have or need to supply the inlet of this cooler. I would also think the cooler is no bigger than the outlet area.

It is unusual.

Brian

Forza Ferrari
Forza Ferrari

hardingfv32 wrote:
FORZA FERRARI wrote:I don't get it: what are the two tubes and the end of the bodywork intended for? They should exite radiators heat, right?
If I want to create a flow through a cooler without a high pressure inlet system, I would duct the outlet to a low pressure zone and 'hope' to draw flow out. There is a good chance that they simply did not have or need to supply the inlet of this cooler. I would also think the cooler is no bigger than the outlet area.

It is unusual.

Brian
So, do you think it's efficient?

marcush.
marcush.

maybe ,just maybe they have a ducted bag around the exhaust and duct the waste heat as far back as possible to avoid heating up other (delicate)components .
You would not duct waste heat if there is already a channel if it were not for the high delta t that you can only expect from the exhaust vs engine heat.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

With no inlet drag, I guess you would say efficient. The issue is wether it is good enough to accomplish the cooling task it has been assigned.

Remember, a cooling duct like this works best with an expanding volume, so that is why I said I do not think the cooler is very large.

Ducting the exhaust heat while a valid idea does not make sense with the actual size of the ducts.

I have no clue what they are about.

Brian

bhall
bhall

Let's not forget the ancillary inlet behind the engine intake. The air drawn from that inlet has to get out, too.

The burn marks aft of the exhaust make me think that the air drawn into the sidepods isn't exactly making its way out efficiently, which could be the result of having an exit that's too constricted (thus far).

ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

Is it possible to form the brake cooling in a way that it forms a skirt for the diffusor. I mean they may build these wings as the are declared as brake cooling. Why don`t face a turning vane downwards so it could cover the side of the diffusor on the whole lenght of the tyre. What do you think?

tjaeger
tjaeger

All of the top 3, McLaren, Ferrari and RB appear to be adding the gurney to the top of the diffusor. RB had it already end of last year. Given the fact that more teams are adding it I wonder if Mercedes is missing the boat again.
Seems to be simply enough to do, it is quite visible, everyone is doing it, why not adding it too? This should help to generate additional downforce, right? Well, RB is even adding it to the beam wing....

Thoughts?
You cannot engineer out stupidity.

tjaeger
tjaeger

Does anyone have any hints, did hear on videos during testing if Mercedes could be one of the teams that is still use the 'engine mapping', which Ferrari complains about, once more?
Wonder if Merc was banking on it, and or using it. Think the design this not necessary suggest that, as the exhausts are so far away from the wing, diffusor of the car. Unless we talk about the earlier discovered 'channel' on the of the diffusor.

Well, if Merc did have the natural design of their engine in a way designed, that it would be using the mapping in any similar way, guess that was discussed last year, then they would be screwed. They would not be able to re-design the engine in a hurry.....

Thoughts??

Pierce89

It's funny that you people are comparing Merc burnt bodywork to permanent bumps on the Ferrari

“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

tjaeger
tjaeger

Pierce89 wrote:It's funny that you people are comparing Merc burnt bodywork to permanent bumps on the Ferrari

What are these permanent bumps Pierce? Have they made the cover softer to follow, contour the inner parts? just wondering?

Or, maybe it is an aero feature. Instead of smooth surface, make bumps to achieve better efficiency, detach flow? Could be an Adrian Newey idea....maybe one of his old prints, ideas that Pat Fry brought over from McLaren...just kidding...wondering...

Pierce89

have no idea of their purpose other than to reduce overall cross section through the coke bottle area. I only know they're in every picture that shows that part of the car.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher