Red Bull RB10 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
elMaestro
elMaestro

Re: Red Bull RB10 Renault

They've been so competitive these last 5 years that even if they didnt turn a wheel at these last 3 tests i wouldnt be surprised if they would be at the front of the grid in Melbourne :lol:

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

elMaestro wrote:They've been so competitive these last 5 years that even if they didnt turn a wheel at these last 3 tests i wouldnt be surprised if they would be at the front of the grid in Melbourne :lol:
I'd believe you if you stated: "I wouldnt be surprised if they are not at the back of the grid in Melbourne"
Law number one in every engineering discipline: the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

elMaestro
elMaestro

Jef Patat wrote:
elMaestro wrote:They've been so competitive these last 5 years that even if they didnt turn a wheel at these last 3 tests i wouldnt be surprised if they would be at the front of the grid in Melbourne :lol:
I'd believe you if you stated: "I wouldnt be surprised if they are not at the back of the grid in Melbourne"
Law number one in every engineering discipline: the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
Id agree if it was another team or another designer but its Adrian Newey, and underestimating him right now would be the worst thing to do!

Per
Per

I can think of worse things to do than underestimating Adrian Newey.

(Overestimating him for example, if your name is Horner/Mateschitz/Newey/...).

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

beelsebob wrote:
Hobbs04 wrote:I've noticed only Fw36 and Rb10 have round air box inlets. Not sure where but I remember hearing that the triangle shape inlet ala F14T was due to engine resonation or vibrations. Obviously a circle is aero friendly but I haven't quite wrapped my head around how an air box shape could have that effect.
What's obvious about that? Why would a circle be better here? Are we going to fall back to discussions about ellipses?
Ok bob poor wording on my part, just wondering why Ferrari, Mercedes, went for the triangle shape while Rb10 went for ellipse....

Juzh

Peter Windsor talking about handling characteristics of the RB10.

http://youtu.be/wQLLdLlEJXo?t=1m45s

Apparently it still very quick trough corners.

djos

Postmoe wrote:
djos wrote:That isn't for cooling, that is to vent fluid or gases when something goes wrong (eg battery failures) .... All IMO of course.

Then... ¿Are they putting one inlet and one outlet to help those fluid exit if the failureoccurs on the track?
That would be my guess - those tubes are maybe as big in diameter as a garden hose and certainly useless for pure cooling purposes.
"In downforce we trust"

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

They're shooting the leaf blowers at it when it comes into the pits so it's definitely cooling.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

BorisTheBlade

djos wrote:
Postmoe wrote:
djos wrote:That isn't for cooling, that is to vent fluid or gases when something goes wrong (eg battery failures) .... All IMO of course.

Then... ¿Are they putting one inlet and one outlet to help those fluid exit if the failureoccurs on the track?
That would be my guess - those tubes are maybe as big in diameter as a garden hose and certainly useless for pure cooling purposes.
They certainly aren't. The inlet is positioned directly inside the massive airflow around the sidepod. If it's indeed a case of a hot spot - a concentrated area where heat adds up quickly - the amount of fresh air might certainly be enough to help. What I am not so sure about is the reasoning behind the outlet.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Then... ¿Are they putting one inlet and one outlet to help those fluid exit if the failureoccurs on the track?[/quote]

That would be my guess - those tubes are maybe as big in diameter as a garden hose and certainly useless for pure cooling purposes.[/quote]
They certainly aren't. The inlet is positioned directly inside the massive airflow around the sidepod. If it's indeed a case of a hot spot - a concentrated area where heat adds up quickly - the amount of fresh air might certainly be enough to help. What I am not so sure about is the reasoning behind the outlet.[/quote]

Outlet decreases air pressure inside, thereby decreasing heat. Physics innit.

BorisTheBlade

Thanks for stating the obvious. What I meant was this: IMHO such an outlet only makes sense if the air from the inlet doesn't add to the internal airflow. That in return would mean that they are cooling a totally separated area - which for me is hard to believe.
But they have some clever guys so they will know what they are doing.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

BorisTheBlade wrote:Thanks for stating the obvious. What I meant was this: IMHO such an outlet only makes sense if the air from the inlet doesn't add to the internal airflow. That in return would mean that they are cooling a totally separated area - which for me is hard to believe.
But they have some clever guys so they will know what they are doing.
What goes in must come out right?

BorisTheBlade

So would you agree with me that the air seemingly doesn't enter the normal sidepod but some otherwise closed section that doesn't take part in the internal airflow?

ringo

downsides of having the MGUH between the cylinder heads; higher COG.
For Sure!!

Chuckjr

This will prolly get deleted, but fwiw, you guys should be knighted for the stuff you explain and reveal in these forums. It just makes the sport blossom when details like this are elucidated. Thank you all.
Watching F1 since 1986.