Red Bull RB10 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Per
Per

Re: Red Bull RB10 Renault

shelly wrote:
In thsi picture the carbon weave of the floor seems not parallele to teh x-y axes fo the car.

that could weel be an aliasing effect of the chequered pattern, but if it is not, it could be something interesting. Usually on the flat you would have 0°-90°-45° plies
Maybe Red Bulls structural engineers didn't graduate from the school of black metal. :wink:

flynfrog

shelly wrote:
In thsi picture the carbon weave of the floor seems not parallele to teh x-y axes fo the car.

that could weel be an aliasing effect of the chequered pattern, but if it is not, it could be something interesting. Usually on the flat you would have 0°-90°-45° plies

I dont see any reason you need to align your piles with the axis of the car generally you align in the direction of highest stress. This is probably a weight optimization thing. or a bad day in the clean room

shelly
shelly

Per wrote:
shelly wrote:

Maybe Red Bulls structural engineers didn't graduate from the school of black metal. :wink:
Yes, that is definitely a possibility - let's hope in some better pictures to understand if the angle is there or not
twitter: @armchair_aero

Ceki
Ceki

I read on some forums that Red Bull are testing rb8 on Tuesday on Shakir track ;)
Any more informations about that ?

Jaap

atanatizante wrote:http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Red ... 758401.jpg

It`s interesting to know if those holes/vents are on both sides or just only on the left side of the car ...
Had they are on the left side I think it`s perhaps MGU-K which is made in-house, so it`s RBR fault :

http://imgur.com/jo7f7Co.jpg
As we can see from the pictures posted of the red bull today, the inlet/outlet disappeared all together. Can't even find the solution cooling anywhere.. Really wondering what they did

myurr
myurr

Vettel claims that the Red Bull isn't quick enough: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112736

It's true that we've not seen it set any stellar times but I thought the impressions from looking at it on track were that it looked glued to the road. Certainly both Hamilton and Button have commented on how quick the Red Bull looks. Is this just because Red Bull were running lower fuel on softer tyres making the car look quick? Is the lack of running meaning they tend to be on fresher tyres distorting the picture? Or is the car genuinely quick and Vettel is talking out of his bottom?

Per
Per

Or it is quick around the corners (which is what Button was saying) but goes like a slug on the straights due to PU issues.

Callum

Ok - I like just spitballing ideas but what if the large rake angle had a very simple job like trying to get a fluid of some type (oil or water) to the front of the car. Maybe they are having problem scavenging oil and this is a makeshift solution?

Per
Per

Callum wrote:Ok - I like just spitballing ideas but what if the large rake angle had a very simple job like trying to get a fluid of some type (oil or water) to the front of the car. Maybe they are having problem scavenging oil and this is a makeshift solution?
This slight angle is nothing compared to what the liquids can do under the heavy g's of braking.

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

shelly wrote: ....In thsi picture the carbon weave of the floor seems not parallele to teh x-y axes fo the car.

Typically, there is one spot on the layup at which an alignment rosette is called out. How the weave aligns after that depends on how it must distort to go around curves. If the layup started at the front of the floor and was aligned forward-aft there, it could easily "turn" a little as it flowed aft around the side pod and up the side pod radii. The slight misalignment you see in the photo wouldn't make a significant change in the laminate properties. I suspect it's just an artifact of how the outer ply was laid up.

I suspect the ply alignment is more important in the tea tray area because they may want to tune the tea tray stiffness. But they could have put the alignment rosette over the diffuser.......

Jaap

I'm thinking the large rake is to get the front wing closer to the ground and increasing it's efficiency. The (wooden) floor can't be dropped further, so by putting the car on an angle you get the wing lower while complying with the minimal wing height.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

timbo
timbo

On this picture it is pretty apparent that the whole car is quite high above the ground.
Wonder why they would do that.

myurr
myurr

Per wrote:Or it is quick around the corners (which is what Button was saying) but goes like a slug on the straights due to PU issues.
Vettel's comment was that even if they fix their issues, implying the PU, the car still isn't quick enough.

Per
Per

Jaap wrote:I'm thinking the large rake is to get the front wing closer to the ground and increasing it's efficiency. The (wooden) floor can't be dropped further, so by putting the car on an angle you get the wing lower while complying with the minimal wing height.
This is one of the known benefits of high rake, but you can only do this as long as you don't stall the diffuser. The lost downforce then is way bigger than what you could gain by putting the front wing closer to the ground.

Plus the biggest benefit from a higher rake is evident: high volume under the floor to be occupied by the same amount of air :arrow: lower pressure (as long as you can seal the diffuser).
Last edited by Per on 03 Mar 2014, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.