Toro Rosso STR9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Ferraripilot

Re: Toro Rosso STR9 Pre-launch Speculation

It's not that overly tight, it's not as if all heat is being ducted out of one exit next to the exhaust pipes as Mclaren and Lotus have done, while Ferrari have their heat exit just below the exhaust at either side of the side pods. Rather, Toro Rossa have open ducts just in front of the rear suspension that are pretty large as well as ducts next to the exhaust pipe. With the resources they have I'm sure this is a good job. I expect Red Bull to have a single heat exit like the other large teams

Maynard G. Krebs
Maynard G. Krebs

How is that possibly going to last more than one lap in any race?
This is the one that will make them consider changing the rule before we even get to Catalunya.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Blackout wrote:Scopless front wheels are not new
better look again, the scoop is mounted extremely low :idea:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

matr!x
matr!x

slimfitcasual wrote:Obligatory:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfAJIrmCUAAgZRJ.jpg
why? It's a eggplant

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Maynard G. Krebs wrote:How is that possibly going to last more than one lap in any race?
This is the one that will make them consider changing the rule before we even get to Catalunya.
enough space in the monkeyseat area, they'll 'impale' the monkey from behind
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Crabbia
Crabbia

Pilatus wrote:If TR guys can pack Renault power unit this tight, I wonder what Newey made with RB10.

That doesn't look promising for non-RB fans.
you neglected to mention the huge gaping inlet they needed presumably to cool the turbo, just under the airbox inlet.

would you not agree that that will be pretty draggy in a place you would least like drag to occur?
would you also not agree the that seems like the need excessive cooling airflow for the renault engine? i havent seen that elsewhere.

http://f1tcdn.net/gallery/var/resizes/2 ... G_0308.JPG
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Crabbia wrote:
Pilatus wrote:If TR guys can pack Renault power unit this tight, I wonder what Newey made with RB10.

That doesn't look promising for non-RB fans.
you neglected to mention the huge gaping inlet they needed presumably to cool the turbo, just under the airbox inlet.

would you not agree that that will be pretty draggy in a place you would least like drag to occur?
would you also not agree the that seems like the need excessive cooling airflow for the renault engine? i havent seen that elsewhere.

http://f1tcdn.net/gallery/var/resizes/2 ... G_0308.JPG
the airbox itself is smaller then usual, the actual 'larger' size of the box isn't that much larger then before, and last year
the double 'airboxes' would take some drag too. it's negliable

apart from that, you can see the driver's helmet covers a lot of that area - quite frankly, that's normal. even though on the studio shots i still think the driver position seems unrealistically high, but who knows.
Last edited by Manoah2u on 27 Jan 2014, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

SectorOne

Manoah2u wrote:
Nope that´s just a winglet.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

SectorOne wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
Nope that´s just a winglet.
+1. you're right.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

all this toro rosso backside enjoyment makes me very curious about the macca, ferrari and williams butt.

Frafer
Frafer

in front of the rear wheels there are still the exhaust gasses conditioner from 2013, not present in the studio shots
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter

turbof1

There are a lot of small details that are different. The front brake ducts is another example. I wouldn't look too much at the studio pictures imo.
#AeroFrodo

rich1701
rich1701

Is that an f1 car? Or is it a sex toy?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Frafer wrote:in front of the rear wheels there are still the exhaust gasses conditioner from 2013, not present in the studio shots
http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... Vergne.jpg
http://abload.de/img/back1k0pub.jpg
actually it looks like it's meant to direct/stabilize air through the wheel scoops/winglet

Holm86

Taking into account how cold it is at Jerez how big will that nose be when they get to hotter places?? :o