Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
belldanndy
belldanndy

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

ripper
ripper

Ferrari is using a new less draggy RW with double monkey seat

source: http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2017/04 ... unala.html

Mark4211

Pole lap at Russia 2017; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCPPXh9NfuQ

Whenever the Ferrari inside wheel aggresively hits the apex, the suspension vibrates the entire car.

Check timestamps: 0:45, 1:22, 1:29

Pity about the stupid camera they used which completely gives us zero view of the other side.

Vanja #66

New RW? Are we sure it's not just smaller angle of attack?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

ripper
ripper

I don't know honestly, I can't understand exactly. I copy pasted here with source to inform and let experts do their magic :D

Vanja #66

It honestly doesn't look any different to me, other than AoA... If it's a different airfoil, it's a new wing, but that's not something visible from those pictures.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Godius

f1316
f1316

To me still just looks like less wing angle rather than a new wing.

I do notice that the small fin underneath the mirror has changed now, with an extra vertical part added on.

zioture
zioture

GPR-A duplicate2

An interesting article.

Link -> Does mystery new dial offer clue to Ferrari’s F1 tyre edge?
Giorgio Piola's exclusive video of the changes (below) that Ferrari has made to its steering wheel for 2017 offer a clue that some of the advantage could come from the way that the driver is able to optimise car settings to help tyre performance throughout the race.

A new Manettino dial has appeared on the bottom left of the controls. With settings that run from 1-12, it is labelled as 'GRIP' - which suggests it is related to how the car is handling on its tyres.

It is the only major change from Ferrari's traditional dials from 2016 and its positioning on the wheel, at the bottom left on both Vettel and Raikkonen's cars, shows it is quite important for easy access.

What is unclear, however, is if this new 'GRIP' dial is something all-new for this season or it has been pulled out from elsewhere to make the controls on the wheel less cluttered than last year.
Marginal gain

Whether the 'GRIP' control is a new concept or introduced just for ease of use for its drivers, the fact that the team has singled it out shows there must be value to it.

While drivers already can change controls like differentials, engine mapping and brake balance to help with handling, the possibility of having pre-loaded settings that can be adjusted based on what the tyres are doing could allow the car to be more compliant to the state of the Pirellis.

That means coping with a shifting car balance front-to-rear, bringing tyre temperatures into line better, plus adjusting for the transition from a heavy fuel load to a light fuel load.

What Vettel and Raikkonen can change based on grip certainly is not the magic bullet to explain Ferrari's strong form. But, in a sport like F1, marginal gains can be the difference between success and defeat it offers a glimpse about the detail the team has gone to get back to the top.

bill shoe
bill shoe

GPR-A wrote:
02 May 2017, 13:30
An interesting article.

Link -> Does mystery new dial offer clue to Ferrari’s F1 tyre edge?
A new Manettino dial has appeared on the bottom left of the controls. With settings that run from 1-12, it is labelled as 'GRIP' - which suggests it is related to how the car is handling on its tyres.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaXXD_aX2xw
Jersey Tom would hate that knob based on name alone!

Movies always make the middle part of car chases look simple-- if the protagonist really needs to go faster then the camera switches to a shot of the accelerator, and the protagonist simple pushes it harder. You would think he was already flooring it, but apparently there is a Spinal Tap-ish "11" for the accel pedal.

Similarly, when Kimi is getting dusted by Vettel in yet another qualy session, Kimi's Engineer can go on the radio: "Kimi, I think you better turn the grip up two notches, you're not matching Vettel". Kimi: "OK, I will turn up the grip".

Mandrake
Mandrake

I'd love to hear a conversation like that, including Kimi's answer :lol:

timbo
timbo

Yeah. Or imagine Kimi saying "can't drive this car, it has too much grip!"