Red Bull RB10 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
djos

Re: Red Bull RB10 Renault

I would have thought a Titanium Gearbox case would act as a giant heatsink for the turbo and reduce cooling requirements if this is the case?
"In downforce we trust"

DarkJRO

Am i Wrong, or is the enginecover only one big part?

via AMuS
Greetings
Dark JRO

aleks_ader

DarkJRO wrote:
Blackout wrote:The gearbox casing's shape is very interesting. You can see it around 0:28 in front of RIC when he's walking. It hosts the Turbo which seem to lie very low between the engine and the G-box, not on top of the latter.
Like some Indy cars...

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.ph ... u=14795526
Indeed, this looks great. Must wokr for a very low COG.

Could this be the reason for those temperature issues? I mean the turbo should get very hot and the gear box right next to it won't like cooking temperatures, does it? perhaps the turbo even gets hoter than renault said to RBR?

So the handmade cooling vents in testing could have been for the gearbox? (could explain, why they were only on one side)
Could they move the clutch even more backwards behind turbo or they could squeeze it into tight otherwise regulated mandated gearbox attach area underneath turbo?

EDIT 1: + WHERE the MGU-H goes? Isnt that to low? Or they produce very short Electric motor like Merc did?
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

stefan_
stefan_

2014 Australian Grand Prix - Thursday, 13.03.2014

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

timbo
timbo

aleks_ader wrote:
DarkJRO wrote:
Blackout wrote:The gearbox casing's shape is very interesting. You can see it around 0:28 in front of RIC when he's walking. It hosts the Turbo which seem to lie very low between the engine and the G-box, not on top of the latter.
Like some Indy cars...

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.ph ... u=14795526

Could this be the reason for those temperature issues? I mean the turbo should get very hot and the gear box right next to it won't like cooking temperatures, does it? perhaps the turbo even gets hoter than renault said to RBR?

So the handmade cooling vents in testing could have been for the gearbox? (could explain, why they were only on one side)
Could they move the clutch even more backwards behind turbo or they could squeeze it into tight otherwise regulated mandated gearbox attach area underneath turbo?

EDIT 1: + WHERE the MGU-H goes? Isnt that to low? Or they produce very short Electric motor like Merc did?
Shouldn't it all be the same for all Renault teams? Or RBR could have turbine/compressor where they exactly want?

basti313
basti313

timbo wrote:
aleks_ader wrote:
DarkJRO wrote:

Shouldn't it all be the same for all Renault teams? Or RBR could have turbine/compressor where they exactly want?
It must be the same part by the rules. And I guess it must also be the same transmission, so it has to be in the same spot for all Renault teams.

So still no picture of the front wing with cameras...
Don`t russel the hamster!

Blackout

The engine/gearbox mounting points:
Actually the upper mointing points are relatively high compared to the V8 so the Turbo is'nt that low... it sits a bit low though; directly above the clutch (which is higher than in the V8 as you know). The clutch area looks smaller than the real one in the 3d renders due to the angle.

timbo
timbo

So apparently there isn't a big difference in turbo positioning between manufacturers, and all Renault teams must have a gearbox case with a similar cutout.

FrukostScones

No wonder it goes kaputt.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

Love the attention to detail, I assume the purple dots all around the brake assembly are so the mechanics don't miss putting a screw in. Little things all add up don't they?

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Vettel Maggot wrote:Love the attention to detail, I assume the purple dots all around the brake assembly are so the mechanics don't miss putting a screw in. Little things all add up don't they?
it's not obvious but you must be kidding

blokkie
blokkie

Jef Patat wrote:
Vettel Maggot wrote:Love the attention to detail, I assume the purple dots all around the brake assembly are so the mechanics don't miss putting a screw in. Little things all add up don't they?
it's not obvious but you must be kidding
+1 .. he must be .. it's to obvious :)

dren

Are those sensors on the tie rods? Do most teams monitor the steering angle?
Honda!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Getting close to FP1 with no signs of camera pods. This is serious business guys.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

cubejam
cubejam

No camera pods on the Red Bull nose, but there's a hole in the nose now.

Last edited by cubejam on 14 Mar 2014, 03:46, edited 2 times in total.