Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

This is why such wing will be impossible...

This is why I always stress the fundamentals. A lot of in here are very antsy.. like sticking to any sugar that is thrown their way. I like when people ask questions to what is presented before them! 8)

I don't know how nobody saw this!

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mix2mix
mix2mix

This is air flow how i think to work

snoop1050
snoop1050

right click view image for larger size

right click view image for larger size

why is everyone so interested in michael getting in/out of the car?

mix2mix
mix2mix

mix2mix wrote:Image

This is air flow how i think to work
when DRS are open air come through the hole what are open, and this air go through lower part of RW and exit through this holes who are position on lower part RW, and reduce vortex which are creates when DRS are open

thomin

The two ducts that were visible in early testing are still there, only they're now routed further back into the crash structure. Could they be connected to the F-duct after all?

Marc.W

First post here on this wonderful forum, I'm quite interested in the Mercedes F-Duct, I'm not a mega tech head so please excuse my ignorance for not using mega brainy etiquette :) using one of the images Owen.C93 posted of the open DRS it seems quite clear how the air is being forced into the duct using the end plates would this air flow idea be accurate?

Pup
Pup

n smikle wrote:I don't know how nobody saw this!
Quite a few of us have been pointing that out ever since the rumors of blown wings started up this year. But that obviously hasn't stopped some others from running with it.

That's why I think the beam wing is the only practical place for a blown wing.

Though, I'm always up for being proven wrong. If Brawn knows a way around the rule that I don't, then more power to him. And who knows, they could be doing something clever that has nothing to do with wings at all.

Huntresa
Huntresa

thomin wrote:Image
The two ducts that were visible in early testing are still there, only they're now routed further back into the crash structure. Could they be connected to the F-duct after all?
Doesnt it look like the 2 tubes that were visible and open now are tucked into the duct connecting to the beam wing?

pocketmoon

snoop1050 wrote:
why is everyone so interested in michael getting in/out of the car?
It's an FIA requirement that drivers have to be able to get out within 5 second. Perhaps they were making sure.

thomin

Huntresa wrote: Doesnt it look like the 2 tubes that were visible and open now are tucked into the duct connecting to the beam wing?
Exactly. The question is, what are they doing there? Certainly doesn't look like they're cooling outlets. They either "blow" some part on the lower rear end, or they duct air from back to front.

marcush.
marcush.

amazinly clean that W03 under the engine cover....what a contrast to the thrown together things we saw all the years before -even BGP001 was a bit rough in detailing ...but this is just awesome and impressive.

It looks like the humpback airinlet is the one that is ducted into the rear crashbox/beam wing ?

skgoa
skgoa

I'm not sure about that. In the picture shot from the rear and the one with Rosberg the ducts seem to come from the sidepods.

thomin wrote:
Huntresa wrote: Doesnt it look like the 2 tubes that were visible and open now are tucked into the duct connecting to the beam wing?
Exactly. The question is, what are they doing there? Certainly doesn't look like they're cooling outlets. They either "blow" some part on the lower rear end, or they duct air from back to front.
My take: Those are the ducts that feed the air to the end plates.

edit: Those pics killed the "holes are intakes" hypothesis. We now know they are outlets. But the denialists will keep on spouting the FW-F-duct crap...

aduka11
aduka11

Can this be possible...

When air enters the RW duct it trigers some sort of switch...that same switch triggers opening (the obvius one) in the nose which directs the air trough the front wing and stalls it?

It much more simple than channels trough whole car...

marcush. wrote:[img]http://i.imgur.com/ICMUh.jpg[img]
amazinly clean that W03 under the engine cover....what a contrast to the thrown together things we saw all the years before -even BGP001 was a bit rough in detailing ...but this is just awesome and impressive.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/oQDFA.jpg[img]

It looks like the humpback airinlet is the one that is ducted into the rear crashbox/beam wing ?
there appears to be something black & duct like along the shoulder below that running towards the cockpit ...

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

A senior F1 Aerodynamicist says that Mercedes are most likely blowing their "F-Duct" air onto the low pressure side of the lower wing element. I believe he means blowing on the under side of the beam wing because there are no visible slots on the under side of the main element on the RW.

via Steve Matchett

Edit: I noticed Scarbs responded to him with the following:

this shows no slots in the suction surfaces, but a duct leading forwards into the engine cover

https://twitter.com/#!/ScarbsF1/status/ ... 0885444608