Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MIKEY_!

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

So these would be the slots for the FW F-duct then?

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Those slots on the bottom of the front wing are the conclusive proof of the front wing f-duct. Clear to see the ducting from the rear wing is heading forwards. My guess is it's simply being used as a switching device, so the velocity of the air travelling through it isn't too important, it's more about the pressure. For it to work though, the air that is coming in through the nose hole must be exiting somewhere other than the wing slots when the f-duct is in the off position. I guess it could be just exiting in to the cockpit?

Cocles

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98094

FIA asked to re-think its view on the Mercedes DRS-activated F-duct

aduka11
aduka11

Diesel wrote:Those slots on the bottom of the front wing are the conclusive proof of the front wing f-duct. Clear to see the ducting from the rear wing is heading forwards. My guess is it's simply being used as a switching device, so the velocity of the air travelling through it isn't too important, it's more about the pressure. For it to work though, the air that is coming in through the nose hole must be exiting somewhere other than the wing slots when the f-duct is in the off position. I guess it could be just exiting in to the cockpit?
I said something similar earlier...

Its too complicated for air to travel trough whole car...

Rear wing duct has some sort of switch or sensor...which gives signal to vent in front of the nose to switch from directing air from driver cooling to Front wing...

Far more simple...than making one long tube trough whole car...

MIKEY_!

Wondered how long that ruling would last. Any intake in the nose must be in the bulkhead (like sauber or RB) rather than the nose tip. They could have an intake on the wing but I'm yet to see one there.

Steven
Owner

aduka11 wrote:
Diesel wrote:Those slots on the bottom of the front wing are the conclusive proof of the front wing f-duct. Clear to see the ducting from the rear wing is heading forwards. My guess is it's simply being used as a switching device, so the velocity of the air travelling through it isn't too important, it's more about the pressure. For it to work though, the air that is coming in through the nose hole must be exiting somewhere other than the wing slots when the f-duct is in the off position. I guess it could be just exiting in to the cockpit?

Rear wing duct has some sort of switch or sensor...which gives signal to vent in front of the nose to switch from directing air from driver cooling to Front wing...

I think what you describe is not possible, or at least not allowed.
A switch like this would mean moveable aerodynamics, at least under the FIA naming, hence would be outlawed.

Charlie Whiting also said yesterday that "some teams" are using a ducting system with the rear wing "which includes no moving parts". With my understanding that the DRS switch can only be used to upper or lower the rear wing flap, I see no legal possibility to use that DRS switch signal for anything else.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Tomba wrote:
aduka11 wrote:

A switch like this would mean moveable aerodynamics, at least under the FIA naming, hence would be outlawed.

Charlie Whiting also said yesterday that "some teams" are using a ducting system with the rear wing "which includes no moving parts". With my understanding that the DRS switch can only be used to upper or lower the rear wing flap, I see no legal possibility to use that DRS switch signal for anything else.
I think the switch he had in mind was a fluidic switch.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

beelsebob wrote:
Tomba wrote:
aduka11 wrote:

I think the switch he had in mind was a fluidic switch.
Yes it was, the same f-duct concept McLaren came up with, just its reversed.

Mestrades
Mestrades

I posted here a doubt that I have yet. If Mercedes has a technology that allows gain time activating DRS, "relatively speaking" the fact of not to use the DRS will be a performance loss in the race since the use of DRS is limited?

Just to sum up one possible hypothesis :

FW is in stall at high speed by default, so has blown section/slot fed by the nose hole to keep the flow attached.
(draggy at low speed I know, but bear with me)

RW endplate holes are an outlet for a duct from the front of the car joined to the nose -hole .

When DRS is open, the outlets are opened and the pressure in the nose drops , so it no longer blows the front wing.
The front wing now goes back into its default stalled mode as there is nothing blowing the slot to keep the flow attached.

Front DF and drag are shed when the rear wing is opened, airing both top speed and Aero balance under DRS activation....

....caveat: this requires that there is not higher pressure above the open rear wing than exists in the ducts to the RW endplates.

Joie de vivre

anyone knows if they are actually using mercury suspension?

Joie de vivre

double post

Leon
Leon

I think why mercedes is not tried to implement mclaren/redbull style exhaust during testing to compare it with current solution
"Clouds now and again
give a soul some respite from
moon-gazing-behold."

Matsuo Basho

King Six
King Six

If Mercedes are simply using their system to further reduce drag, then all they are doing is increasing the primary capability of the DRS system, which is there to reduce drag. That's why I see it is legal, in a Charlie Whiting sort of way.

The only other way of banning it would be if there's an explicit technical regulation banning the physicality of it all (the ducts etc.. ) which there isn't. So both the 'spirit/intent' and the 'technical' regulations aren't actually being broken.

AnthonyG

MIKEY_! wrote:They could have an intake on the wing but I'm yet to see one there.
Somewhere in this topic there's a picture of a small intake on the leading edge of the same winglet you see the slot in from the bottom.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel