Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

stepped floor covered with reflective material ?

Joie de vivre

gee there was so much talk about mercury suspension ... I guess it was all BS

FakeAlonso

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Just noticed something, the slot is on the second element... where is the ducting for it going?

EDIT: Looking at it again, I can see how it's possible... creative though

ringo

I dont see any slot, i see a reflection and it's also on the front element.
I'll test this out..

edit: my suspicions are the front wing doesn't have enough camber to be stalled by a slot, especially if the slot is so close the the gap between the two elements. The suction peak is very high in that gap. Weak flow coming through the nose may do little to affect the wing.
Lastly i dont see the logic in stalling the front wing. It will upset the balance and it may not reduce drag that much.
The only benefit is what happens downstream, but again air passing through a 6 cm hole isn't much volume to speak about. doubt it will do much if anything.
For Sure!!

ringo

the real question is: what does the flow under a stalled front wing look like?

On such a low camber element whats the difference with this stalling slot and any orher other slots between wing elements?

When do they want the front wing to stall?

Must be only on the straights surely. We all know what an F1 car drives like when it loses a front wing.
For Sure!!

Huntresa
Huntresa

Its been explained by scarbs in his like 4 fw-f-duct posts why and how they would stall a fw.

QLDriver
QLDriver

If this stalls with the DRS, then wouldn't that actually balance the car better at high speed?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Right click>view image

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

PhillipM wrote:Every manufacturable point does, yes.
This is NOT true in all cases. I can bond a flat surface to my two concave surfaces, ) ( .

I have a flat surfaces that is bonded to the outside of a radius. This forms an indisputable point.

While I do not agree with your interpretation, it goes create a challenging manufacturing puzzle. I enjoy trying to satisfy your interpretation. This is a technical forum where we try to solve technical problems or puzzles.

Brian

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Tatsu333 wrote:This would then also rule out any type of opening in the rear wing planes outside of the central 15 cm of width. A hole of any size or shape, never mind a slot, would expose the internal surfaces of the wing to the external airstream if you interpreted the rule that way.
3.10... When viewed from the side of the car, no longitudinal vertical cross section may have
more than two sections in this area, each of which must be closed.

This was discussed before and satisfied. Having a plenum and a slot to the outside does not mean you have more than one section as illustrated in earlier posted drawings.

Of coarse the intent of this rule is to preclude multi element wings, but there is nothing saying that you can not try to apply it to our discussion. I have no problem with that, as I believe I can satisfy the rules while having an internal plenum.

Brian

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

QLDriver wrote:If this stalls with the DRS, then wouldn't that actually balance the car better at high speed?
That would be ideal but....

1) You have to get the DRS 'flow' signal to the nose. Getting a useful flow from the small DRS holes to the nose is virtually impossible.

2) We do not have a source for the primary flow for the front wing.

3) We have not seen any slots on the front wing for the primary flow to exit from.

Brian

siskue2005

hardingfv32 wrote:
QLDriver wrote:If this stalls with the DRS, then wouldn't that actually balance the car better at high speed?

1) You have to get the DRS 'flow' signal to the nose. Getting a useful flow from the small DRS holes to the nose is virtually impossible.

3) We have not seen any slots on the front wing for the primary flow to exit from.

Brian
1. didnt the teams achieve the exact same but opposite effect in 2010? from top of the nose to rear wing?? why cant it be do the opposite....it could be a fluidic switch where air flows from the tip of nose through to the endplate hole where it bleeds out when DRS is open

2. From the nose hole!

3. you can see some sort of slot in the front wing, we need better pictures

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

siskue2005 wrote:1. didnt the teams achieve the exact same but opposite effect in 2010? from top of the nose to rear wing?? why cant it be do the opposite....it could be a fluidic switch where air flows from the tip of nose through to the endplate hole where it bleeds out when DRS is open
The fluid switch would have been located on the air box, a much shorter and less contorted route than what is now being proposed. This is an almost impossible pneumatic objective.
2. From the nose hole!
Too small. Also the air flow must make at least three 90 deg bends losing 60% of its flow velocity along the way.

Brian

Huntresa
Huntresa

siskue2005 wrote:
hardingfv32 wrote:

Brian
1. didnt the teams achieve the exact same but opposite effect in 2010? from top of the nose to rear wing?? why cant it be do the opposite....it could be a fluidic switch where air flows from the tip of nose through to the endplate hole where it bleeds out when DRS is open

2. From the nose hole!

3. you can see some sort of slot in the front wing, we need better pictures

Well its much easier to get airflow from the front to the back almost in a straight duct or line, having air going into 2 smalls holes then going down and then in again and up and down etc feels much harder.

And once again we cant be sure if they use the DRS for the FW or if they are running the passive fw and then something else for the DRS holes.

With the passive FW you wouldnt get the balance when you want it, which is when DRS is open. So something is going on but as long as merc doesnt say it or the FIA we wont know for sure.