Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Coefficient
Coefficient

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

Ferraripilot wrote:there is definitely something going on here

Looks to me like Ross has found a way of reinstating his beloved Double Diffuser, albeit a tiny little one.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Eruuh
Eruuh

Hi i am new! May be it is a retarded question ^^but couldn't it be possible, that there is a blown diffusor, but not blown by the exhaust but may be by air coming form the tunnel under the airbox?

Edit: or form somewhere else where is an open spot on the rear ^^

sry for bad english i am still improving :P

Coefficient
Coefficient

Eruuh wrote:Hi i am new! May be it is a retarded question ^^but couldn't it be possible, that there is a blown diffusor, but not blown by the exhaust but may be by air coming form the tunnel under the airbox?

Maybe the transmission could be extended to have a turbine blowing effect inside the crash structure but it probably wouldn’t be legal and it would sap some horsepower. I’d be interested to hear the noise it would make though, would probably add an interesting overtone to the screaming V8. I think this idea would probably have been outlawed along with that weird Brabham fan car, the name of which escapes me at the moment.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

gridwalker
gridwalker

Coefficient wrote:
Eruuh wrote:Hi i am new! May be it is a retarded question ^^but couldn't it be possible, that there is a blown diffusor, but not blown by the exhaust but may be by air coming form the tunnel under the airbox?

Maybe the transmission could be extended to have a turbine blowing effect inside the crash structure but it probably wouldn’t be legal and it would sap some horsepower. I’d be interested to hear the noise it would make though, would probably add an interesting overtone to the screaming V8. I think this idea would probably have been outlawed along with that weird Brabham fan car, the name of which escapes me at the moment.
You're thinking of the BT-46 ... and yes, that would be deemed illegal for those reasons.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Eruuh
Eruuh

Coefficient wrote:

but wouldnt something like this possible, or would it generate more downforce and would this be legal instead of a fan, or a turbin?

issues4
issues4

Owen.C93 wrote:Front wing hole: Image

Right click-View
look at the metal cap on the bottom edges of the front wing endplates :twisted:

bhall
bhall

When you said cap, I initially started looking for something like a valve stem, but it seems Mercedes are planning to flex the holy hell out of their front wing.

Rikhart
Rikhart

I hope the car doesn´t catch fire on track >.< That thing is getting more burned by the hour.

retpog55
retpog55

Rikhart wrote:I hope the car doesn´t catch fire on track >.< That thing is getting more burned by the hour.
I know you are joking but we could actually be in the midst of a serious issue here. The car has not done a lap in over an hour now and has managed only 9 laps of running in the last 3 hours and 30 minutes. All part of the plan? Hmmmm....

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

retpog55 wrote:
Rikhart wrote:I hope the car doesn´t catch fire on track >.< That thing is getting more burned by the hour.
You are joking but we could be seeing a serious issue here. The car has not done a lap in over an hour now and has managed only 9 laps of running in the last 3 hours and 30 minutes. All part of the plan? Hmmmm....
They have a hydraulic failure. Possibly done for today.

diego1960

Oh God, please, not cooling issues AGAIN. Anything actually but cooling issues. It would be such a shame to destroy the beautiful sidepod concept by cutting hideous gills all over the place. Let's just hope that this problem can be fixed at least by the end of the first test...I anxciously await for news from the team.

PS: btw, apart from the cooling issues the car is far more refined than the previous years' W02, seems that more effort was made for it to be race-ready rather than "basic" as the W02 was.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

pocketmoon

Schulteiss wrote:
retpog55 wrote:
You are joking but we could be seeing a serious issue here. The car has not done a lap in over an hour now and has managed only 9 laps of running in the last 3 hours and 30 minutes. All part of the plan? Hmmmm....
They have a hydraulic failure. Possibly done for today.

Any reports of mercury all over the track ??? :lol:

kris
kris

Burn mark issues, hydraulic issues, one of the least number of laps completed.. Not a very positive start. It can only improve from here :D

aral
aral

gridwalker wrote:
You're thinking of the BT-46 ... and yes, that would be deemed illegal for those reasons.
The BT46B was never banned. It was cleared to continue the season, but Ecclestone withdrew the car, as he was endeavouring to take over F1 and did not want a contentious car to ruin his machinations.

However, Murray was progressing with the BT47 for the following year, utilising TWO fans. But the FIA changed the rules , thus efectively banning a fan car.