Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
buki_nelu

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

VarioR wrote:
Eruuh wrote:So maybe there was not less fuel than Michael yesterday!

Race sim looks very good! In my opinion

I saw some photos of today's tests and NICO was driving with intermediate tyres (blue letters)
The intermediate tyres are usually used for the installation laps. Also MSC was using iter tyres yesterday. This is a common practice just do check all factors on the car for the installations
SCUBA diving and Formula 1 are the same,by both you are successful if you go beyond the current limits...

VarioR

In the first two photos Nico is on intermediate tyres..

Being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, competing to win...

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

diego1960 wrote:PS: I can't understand why they would choose to run intermediates. Any thoughts?
As said many times...
They run only installation laps on them to save the dry compounds, every team does that.

bhall
bhall

Could I perhaps trouble someone who's good at such things to create a picture using a profile photograph of the W03 oriented in such a way that the reference plane (floor) is perfectly horizontal? A picture of a rival car given the same treatment would be appreciated, but is unnecessary.

I'm not even going to bother to try it myself, because I know I'd just end up making a mockery of the entire process.

Thanks.

PlatinumZealot

Brawn says Mercedes in a stronger position, but admits W03 not ready to win yet
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97677
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Mr.S
Mr.S

I made a mistake in my calcutaion. Nico's average lap time is probably 1.28.1 or a.28.1.

Michael also did laps on inters. Those are probably for seeing how it works on dry track or for constant speed,aero tests.

Vettel's average Lap Time over a 53-54 Lap Stint was 1.28.2 but he Did 1 Pit Stop Extra. Hamilton's Lap Time over 57 Laps was 1.29.5 & he did 1 Pit Stop Extra too.

They might have had 10-15 laps of more fuel or used more worn tyres to sandbad but I am confident Mercedes will be atleast as quick as Mclaren & would push RBR & get withim 0.5s of RBR. Mercedes can been on the Podium from Australia itself.
Last edited by Mr.S on 24 Feb 2012, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

Richard
Richard

Comments on Ferrari test times moved to the test thread. The 6 posts of argument about being in the wrong thread have been deleted. For the avoidance of doubt...

We talk about the W03 car in the W03 thread

We talk about the F2012 car in the F2012 thread

We list lap times in the relevant test/race thread

Metalrulz
Metalrulz

Is mercedes planning on getting an upgrade package for the next barcelona test?

diego1960

richard_leeds the Ferrari times where written here as a reason to re-evaluate the Mercedes W03 performance, not for Ferrari as such. That is becase I kept reading about how competitive Mercedes really is (some users think it's on par with McLaren) and although we can not trust testing times, it appears that suddenly Ferrari is up there too.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

Metalrulz wrote:Is mercedes planning on getting an upgrade package for the next barcelona test?
I seem to remember them saying that the first real upgrade will be for Melbourne.

Richard
Richard

diego1960 - discuss that in the testing thread.

Mr.S
Mr.S

Brawn categorically ruled out any upgrade package for Aus. They did the last race & suffered & aborted the whole package. Brawn said they will debut the finished car in the 2nd Barcelona test.

I doubt if there will be any more upgrades. A lot of setup work is still needed & Brawn said that too. That they will have to increase performance. If any Upgrade comes it will probably be to copy some Brilliant Innovation by others like Red Bull's Slot(Vent) in the nose.

tjaeger
tjaeger

Schulteiss wrote:
Metalrulz wrote:Is mercedes planning on getting an upgrade package for the next barcelona test?
I seem to remember them saying that the first real upgrade will be for Melbourne.
That is worrying....they said that the last 2 seasons and when they came to Australia there was almost no change or upgrade.....
You cannot engineer out stupidity.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Diffuser pics. Right click>view image

Javert

The diffuser seem that inelegant without the gurney ...
Extremly fat :mrgreen: Think it's a performance "ruiner" and we'll see a lighter diffuser in Melbourne