2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
User avatar
raymondu999
54
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:31 am

2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

Post

Image
Image

2011
Image
Image
Image
Image

Strategy
2012 tyres - Soft (prime, yellow) and Supersoft (option, red)
2011 tyres - Soft (prime, yellow) and Supersoft (option, red)

2011 Pole lap
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrcwII_uBCA[/youtube]
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

User avatar
Guisson
2
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:59 am
Location: Erlangen, Germany.

Re: 2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

Post

This one should be for Red Bull , The RB8 has got Good Traction and it always performed well in Acceleration/Braking Circuits as it got 3 Poles out of 3 ( Webber In Monaco , Vettel in Valencia and Canada)
If they don't won't to be thrown away in the WDC they MUST win this GP ,( At least a podium finish)
Lotus is a big Threat and Ferrari has always been doing well in Marina Bay , The dark Horse is Mclaren althought I belive ( following Valencia and Canada results) that they may have a chance
The task is,not so much to see what no one has yet seenbut to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees. Erwin Schrödinger

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
496
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

Post

Jesus... this is going to be Good!

Can you say BOSS?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌

====Zen level====
|||||||<@>||^||<@>|||||||

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
496
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

Post

RB_[Gnx] wrote:This one should be for Red Bull , The RB8 has got Good Traction and it always performed well in Acceleration/Braking Circuits as it got 3 Poles out of 3 ( Webber In Monaco , Vettel in Valencia and Canada)
If they don't won't to be thrown away in the WDC they MUST win this GP ,( At least a podium finish)
Lotus is a big Threat and Ferrari has always been doing well in Marina Bay , The dark Horse is Mclaren althought I belive ( following Valencia and Canada results) that they may have a chance
So what do you think of Hungary then? Pretty close to Singapore, but for the sligtly different types of turns.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌

====Zen level====
|||||||<@>||^||<@>|||||||

zyphro
zyphro
1
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 3:33 pm

Re: 2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

Post

RB_[Gnx] wrote:The dark Horse is Mclaren althought I belive ( following Valencia and Canada results) that they may have a chance
I don't really see how McLaren are a dark horse personally, they will be there-abouts like they have been in the past 3 GP's.

User avatar
turbof1
Moderator
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: MountDoom CFD Matrix

Re: 2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

Post

zyphro wrote:
RB_[Gnx] wrote:The dark Horse is Mclaren althought I belive ( following Valencia and Canada results) that they may have a chance
I don't really see how McLaren are a dark horse personally, they will be there-abouts like they have been in the past 3 GP's.
Difficult to tell if McLaren will be there. The first of those 3 races was completed on a slightly more typical f1 circuit, but that was more then a month ago. Spa and Monza aren't at all your typical circuit and require very specific packages, so you shouldn't really count them in.
I think in Singapore we will get a clear view on who is better. Though if Ferrari slips back down the order then Alonso will not be able to keep his 37-38 points lead.
#AeroFrodo

User avatar
Shrieker
13
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:41 pm

Re: 2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

Post

If Alonso finishes just once in front of his rivals, it'll be over. It'll be too hard to reel him in, he'll also have too much of a psychological cushion. Hamilton, Vettel and co. will have to make sure they finish ahead of Alonso every time, starting here.

How much do you think this track is like Hungaroring ? Or is it more like Valenica ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

bhall
bhall
244
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:26 pm

Re: 2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

Post

I think this track is really its own beast. I can't think of any others to which it readily compares. Monaco?

I think Red Bull will rebound here.

User avatar
turbof1
Moderator
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: MountDoom CFD Matrix

Re: 2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

Post

Shrieker wrote:If Alonso finishes just once in front of his rivals, it'll be over. It'll be too hard to reel him in, he'll also have too much of a psychological cushion. Hamilton, Vettel and co. will have to make sure they finish ahead of Alonso every time, starting here.

How much do you think this track is like Hungaroring ? Or is it more like Valenica ?
A mix of Hungaroring and Monaco, with one very important characteristic of both: overtaking is practically impossible. So qualifying and tyre conserving are very important, especially with the softest rubber being used.
#AeroFrodo

User avatar
raymondu999
54
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:31 am

Re: 2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

Post

I feel Red Bull could pull through for a victory here. As I've always said, Singapore is most similar to Valencia. Red Bull have basically had racewinning pace in the last two really hot stop-go traction-and-braking circuits in Bahrain and Valencia.

McLaren given their form in the last three races cannot be discounted though. Neither can the Spaniard in Scarlet, whose form is scintillating around Singapore.

As the point on Hungary, I'm not sure that Hungary as a circuit is the best barometer for Singapore performance. Hungary's slow corners are all long, while there really aren't any long slow corners in Singapore asides from the Turn 11/12 chicane. I've seen the race from that area in the past - and even if the field were in identical-looking helmets and cars I'm positive that we could single out Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso. You can really pick them out there.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

User avatar
turbof1
Moderator
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: MountDoom CFD Matrix

Re: 2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

Post

raymondu999 wrote:I feel Red Bull could pull through for a victory here. As I've always said, Singapore is most similar to Valencia. Red Bull have basically had racewinning pace in the last two really hot stop-go traction-and-braking circuits in Bahrain and Valencia.

McLaren given their form in the last three races cannot be discounted though. Neither can the Spaniard in Scarlet, whose form is scintillating around Singapore.

As the point on Hungary, I'm not sure that Hungary as a circuit is the best barometer for Singapore performance. Hungary's slow corners are all long, while there really aren't any long slow corners in Singapore asides from the Turn 11/12 chicane. I've seen the race from that area in the past - and even if the field were in identical-looking helmets and cars I'm positive that we could single out Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso. You can really pick them out there.
It will all come down to mechanical grip. Tricks like EBDs aren't playing a huge role simply b/c speeds are way lower, which means the plume will not be as much pulled down. Cars will be set up for most downforce, whatever the drag penalty is. The car that can add the most downforce will have an edge, so I'll give that one too Red Bull.
You can say that is fairly similar to Hungary, simply b/c there isn't any good straight to make a compromise between drag and downforce acceptable. Hungary does have the higher cornering speed of the 2 though.
#AeroFrodo

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
496
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

Post

bhallg2k wrote:I think this track is really its own beast. I can't think of any others to which it readily compares. Monaco?

I think Red Bull will rebound here.
This track is very bumpy, but unexpectedly, the suspension is set rock hard! Those planks have to be kept in good condition!
There are a good number of blind corners where curb riding skills are brought to the fore.
High down-force settings since each sector is a point and squirt affair. (@ Ray, why you pick Valencia which is pretty high speed?).
Good diff settings required too.
You better bring good floor developments too because free stream air is a luxury.
The atmosphere is HOT and HUMID and DARK.. the worst combination!
Engine goes over 70 gear changes per lap.. that means limiter pounding and hot flames belching out the exhuast! A premium on exhaust material and engine oil!

Don't forget the alternator RedBull! :lol:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌

====Zen level====
|||||||<@>||^||<@>|||||||

User avatar
rssh
1
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:51 pm

Re: 2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

Post

This look more promising like a RB track because they have good traction and braking but the Mclaren are close to challenge for pole position . Ferrari is a good car but I still think that it lack traction compared to the above 2 teams but Alonso is on form so you never know .

Lotus is most likely to struggle compared to the top 3 because both there drivers havn't had good races here in past (kimi) and Romain will be a gear down on his performance . I expect Maldonardo to do good here because their car has great balance though I don't really know much about the traction comparatively .

Sauber will most likely struggle because there car is mighty in the high speed corners but in low speed corner they aren't so good .

This track required the best downforce and therefore we may see train of cars in the DRS zone not able to overtake (no EBD i.e. braking stability) .

I also don't expect MS to do great at this track but I may prove wrong :oops:

User avatar
raymondu999
54
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:31 am

Re: 2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

Post

n smikle wrote:@ Ray, why you pick Valencia which is pretty high speed?).
IMO two very similar track layouts, and comparing each year's Valencia and Singapore qualifying results of the same year generally support that. Similar corners, etc?

With no offthrottle to set up here I expect gear choice to be very crucial. Maintaining the engine in higher rpms could lead to quicker laptimes given the additional exhaust downforce obtained, however little.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

bhall
bhall
244
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:26 pm

Re: 2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

Post

n smikle wrote:[...]

Don't forget the alternator RedBull! :lol:
Hasn't Singapore also seen a few weird engine/transmission abnormalities due to the subway system that runs under the track?