McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Re: McLaren MP4-28

Owen.C93 wrote:Only took roughly 8 hours for a reflections to come to the McLaren car thread :P

If you follow the lines you should see that it's just a reflection on the glass.
Reflection photo...check!
Asymmetric photo...I think we'll be waiting until 5/2.

beelsebob
beelsebob

KeiKo403 wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Only took roughly 8 hours for a reflections to come to the McLaren car thread :P

If you follow the lines you should see that it's just a reflection on the glass.
Reflection photo...check!
Asymmetric photo...I think we'll be waiting until 5/2.
I'm pretty sure that nose isn't symmetrical you know :P

Jackles-UK

Are the front brake ducts new? They look completely different to any other ducts i've seen - like a cross between the blade style and a bargeboard!

Things to note (that haven't been discussed at great length anyway!):

- Sauber C31 inspired sidpod inlets.
- Brand new brake ducts.
- Revised wheels with fairing and brake cooling hole adjustments.
- HUGE area of rear floor exposed beneath the exhaust fairing, even more so than the -27 I think.
- Wrap-around flow conditioners seem to have gone (3D model & "real life" model!).
- Tiny roll hoop slope resulting in a tiny hot air exit (I'm a bit worried about cooling if i'm honest).

All-in-all it's as we expected really. Neatening of the rear, pull rod front, higher chassis. Glad to see they haven't risked everything and just plumped for the tunnel/ramp alternative just because of the media hype. They are clearly going to add some bits to the rear of the pipes much like they did last year to improve efficiency but looks like a nice platform to work from.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Do we normally see a small gap like this between beam wing and the mounting point of the monkey seat? :?:

beelsebob
beelsebob

KeiKo403 wrote:Do we normally see a small gap like this between beam wing and the mounting point of the monkey seat? :?:
Yes, the teams are allowed to do pretty much anything in that narrow bit in the centre, so they use it to make a multi-element wing for a small area.

RicerDude

Jackles-UK wrote:- Wrap-around flow conditioners seem to have gone (3D model & "real life" model!).
The flow conditioners are still there in the pic I posted earlier, they are just smaller and only go out as far as the crash structure.

michl420
michl420

The car have all i hoped, looks good to me. I´m surprised about the all new suspensions.
Just a bit but red bull like side-head-protection.

P.S.: Don´t look at wings, tuning vans, break ducts, diffusor and exhaust details, it´s a lauch.

Redragon

beelsebob wrote:
KeiKo403 wrote:Do we normally see a small gap like this between beam wing and the mounting point of the monkey seat? :?:
Yes, the teams are allowed to do pretty much anything in that narrow bit in the centre, so they use it to make a multi-element wing for a small area.
What it have me intregued is the hole that it is just under the monkey seat, and it is conected to the pipe coming from engine cover. Could it be the DDRS like lotus?

techF1LES

Redragon wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
What it have me intregued is the hole that it is just under the monkey seat, and it is conected to the pipe coming from engine cover. Could it be the DDRS like lotus?
McLaren says there will be no passive drag reduction device development: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105347

What you see is most probably hyrdaulic lines of DRS actuator.

Redragon

No passive drag reduction device: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105347
The don't say no, and that hole still saying something is going to come out of it, maybe on the future. They could have the system switch off but installed on the car.

Blackout

Close up on the tea tray... nothing new and it will certainly change but it looks cool.
Unfortunately we can't see the floor's leading edge and its new design...

wesley123
wesley123

the splitter is new, now following what every other team does by creating a "tunnel" there. McLaren previously didnt use this tunnel, instead forming a smooth shape.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Blackout

They did add tunnels to their tea tray last year ;)

Edit

Raptor22
Raptor22

n smikle wrote:The front wing has to be part of the real nose. Otherwise you might as well well make the vanity panel a heaping heavy chunk of carbon fiber and nuts and bolts to take the hundreds of poundso downforce from the FW.

Wrong.
The panel can be pretty light and stilll support the load from the wing because the panel is supported by the crash structure underneath. Thewing supports are in tension so they can be extremely ligt if fabricated from carbon fibre. Only the attachment has to be strng enough to carry the load. It is entirely feasible that the panel carriees the front wing while the crash structure carries the load

wesley123
wesley123

Blackout wrote:They did add tunnels to their tea tray last year ;)

Edit
http://i16.servimg.com/u/f16/14/79/55/26/f1bras10.jpg
You're right, my mistake
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender