McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gloomyandy
gloomyandy

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

Is the position of the camera pods being used today in line with the 2014 regulations? Seem to remember next year that they are more restricted in the location they can use.

mikeerfol

Well, doesn't matter what it was, Button says it's not working..

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110854
Jenson Button said McLaren's set-up experiments in Indian Grand Prix practice did not pay off.

The Briton revealed on Thursday that McLaren would try settings "completely different" to anything it had used in recent years at Buddh.

With the team not in a championship battle this season, it wanted to experiment with more radical ideas.

But the results of Friday practice suggested McLaren was better off sticking to standard settings.

"We tried a few things this morning, but it didn't work for us at the moment around this type of circuit," said Button.

"In a way I suppose it's good as it means we've been getting the best out of the car all year.

"I think we understand where we need to be. We started in the wrong place, but we developed the car over the day and we're getting there."

Button and team-mate Sergio Perez were sixth and seventh in the morning session, but at the foot of the top 10 later on.

stefan_
stefan_

India 2013 - Friday (25.10.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Maybe it's just me but I find it interesting/odd that the support on the uppermost element between the two gurney flaps is not one piece and they're split..

ole
ole

Hello,

Where can I find specific drawings with the dimensions of the chassis, rear and front wing etc?
I would like to draw it from scratch in exact scale.

Thank you.

stefan_
stefan_

India 2013 - Saturday (26.10.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

horse

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Maybe it's just me but I find it interesting/odd that the support on the uppermost element between the two gurney flaps is not one piece and they're split...
Looks to be that the outside of the last element is fixed, and the larger inside section is adjustable. They have some sort of mini end-plate at the end of each of these segments, maybe to try and bridge the gap if the inside wing setting is a great deal different from the fixed position of the outside part.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

seinfeld
seinfeld

can someone tell me what those vents do on above the sidepods and next to the drivers head rests. ?

siskue2005

seinfeld wrote:can someone tell me what those vents do on above the sidepods and next to the drivers head rests. ?
cooling vents , like small chimeny

seinfeld
seinfeld

I see, so its from the sidepod still. its just cooling maybe electronics or something? does that seal the air along the body as well or something? as you would just run it all out the back sidepod if it gave u more downforce?

oT v1
oT v1

seinfeld wrote:I see, so its from the sidepod still. its just cooling maybe electronics or something? does that seal the air along the body as well or something? as you would just run it all out the back sidepod if it gave u more downforce?
I'm pretty sure i've read on this site (regarding the numerous Merc ones) that it ALSO helps hold the air flow onto the surface of the car, from my 'armchair aerodynamic' understanding it acts like a jet's vortex generator, holding the air flow on the wing (but for the car to keep the air moving downward)

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... US.jpg[img]

just realised after investigating the merc pics i'm horribly wrong, the vortex generators are completely seperate from the cooling vents

****pls delete****
The Power of Dreams

McMrocks
McMrocks

gloomyandy wrote:Is the position of the camera pods being used today in line with the 2014 regulations? Seem to remember next year that they are more restricted in the location they can use.
I think this is nothing for next season. Even if there are no more restrictions in the locations they would be too high.

For the nose there is a line from 625mm above the refernce plane at the A-A section(?) to 300mm above the reference plane at a point 50mm behind the forward most point of the impact absorbing structure.
Above that line there must be no bodywork and i'm pretty sure the camera is above that line

edit: yes there are more restrictions in the locations and they even regard the camera postion two which is the one on the nose:
http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... 7.2013.pdf
camera locations defined on page 71.

cheers

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

ole wrote:Hello,

Where can I find specific drawings with the dimensions of the chassis, rear and front wing etc?
I would like to draw it from scratch in exact scale.

Thank you.
Sincerley,
Peter Prodromou

Sevach
Sevach

bauc wrote:As per JB Mclaren will test radical set up with the MP4-28 this weekend to try and find out what they might expect next year.

From Autosport.com:
"You definitely go places with the car that you would not normally do because you would be worried about giving points away if the weekend went wrong,"

"Here I have a set-up on my car that is completely different to any other race we have had the last couple of years - just to see where we are. It might help us next year.

"We are in a position where we can do that because we are not fighting for winning races, podiums or the championship so there are some positives to take out of it. And there aren't many in a difficult season."

He also added:
You learn where you cannot put things in terms of front wing angles and how the airflow is over the car," he said. "And that will really help us for next year's car.

"To have a bad year this year was probably the best year to have it, because you can learn a lot for the new package of 2014."

What do you guys think on above?
Looking at the Mclaren lately it seems to me that they solved their suspension difficulties/problems from earlier in the season, it is a car that rides very well now, not looking overly stiff like early season, and in general has a decent balance (a bit understeery in places).

It's probably lacking in downforce now since it has seen little development, but with new aero rules around the corner that doesn't mean much.

Ross Brawn said that they partially owe their good car this season to essentially running the final third of last season as testing for the new car, so what Mclaren is doing can only help imo.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Is it me or have they tried to move the exhaust further back? Seems like that from the pictures I have seen