McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1rules
f1rules

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

ah thanks i didnt even se that comment from him

turbof1

Yeah, that ends any alternative interpretation. Seems they really have found out how to set up the car properly, giving a sudden boost to rear downforce. With a very underdeveloped front wing they look to be stuck for this weekend. Perhaps next weekend that they'll have several updates there.
#AeroFrodo

f1rules
f1rules

well i dont think there will be any more updates, also since button finishes of like this

"So I don't know. We're very limited with what we can do with set-up. It's tough and it's going to be like this in the next couple of races."

henra
henra

f1rules wrote:"We were maxed out on the front wing, there isn't anything else we can do to the car to help out with the front end," he added.
That's a really rare problem in this era of normally rear df limited Formula 1.
Still it's a luxury problem since it can be fixed with more FW elements. Might sacrifice a tiny amount of L/D of the front wing but in the overall scheme of things a solvable problem. Much better than rear df problems.
Would be interesting to know where they found the rear df (read where they threw it away before). There haven't been too dramatic visible changes lately.

f1rules
f1rules

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... ov/485.jpg

Im not sure where they found, maybe their radical setup last weekend opened their eyes to something or the many fine tunings/small updates done, finally paid dividends

Huntresa
Huntresa

henra wrote:
f1rules wrote:"We were maxed out on the front wing, there isn't anything else we can do to the car to help out with the front end," he added.
That's a really rare problem in this era of normally rear df limited Formula 1.
Still it's a luxury problem since it can be fixed with more FW elements. Might sacrifice a tiny amount of L/D of the front wing but in the overall scheme of things a solvable problem. Much better than rear df problems.
Would be interesting to know where they found the rear df (read where they threw it away before). There haven't been too dramatic visible changes lately.
Yeah cause with more planes you get upto the maximum point of the Fw, something you cant do with lesser planes without getting a stalling effect.

horse

henra wrote:Would be interesting to know where they found the rear df (read where they threw it away before). There haven't been too dramatic visible changes lately.
The new front wing / pillar set up strikes me as the most likely. It's like something has changed with either the attitude of the car (by altering the moment from the front wing) or there are improvements to the downstream airflow (with more rearward pillars) that has made the rear end work a little better.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

trinidefender
trinidefender

horse wrote:
henra wrote:Would be interesting to know where they found the rear df (read where they threw it away before). There haven't been too dramatic visible changes lately.
The new front wing / pillar set up strikes me as the most likely. It's like something has changed with either the attitude of the car (by altering the moment from the front wing) or there are improvements to the downstream airflow (with more rearward pillars) that has made the rear end work a little better.
Well within the last few races I think a few small things could be switching to 4 vortex generators instead of 3, the re-profiling of the the bulge on the outside of the sidepods. The new beamwing. Last but not least probably the flow structure coming off of the new front wing/pillars and 3 piece turning vanes. Oh also at some point they made a few changes to the diffuser.

mikeerfol

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

After the two practice sessions of Friday, Martin Whitmarsh said that in the morning they were testing on Mp4-28 components and concepts for 2014 car. But unlike Japan and India where those "components" and "concepts" were visible, in Abu Dhabi, I didn't saw anything new or interestins on the car (like something for 2014) as the previous races. Do you saw something?
I have here Whitmarsh's declaration: ""Both Jenson and Checo enjoyed productive sessions: while our focus this afternoon was once again on understanding and developing concepts and components for 2014, the evening's session quickly proved productive as we progressed through our set-up and tyre evaluation work."
I don't understand Martin why he said that. On another interview, in Sky, Sam Michael said Sam Michael, he also said McLaren tried a front wing which tests some concepts for 2014 but it was not a 2014 wing. Make sense?

Javert

So summary the difficulties of this season / has been solved or not

EXHAUST
Initial configuration -> low traction, acceptable downforce but obstacle to rear flows and huge horsepower loss
China configuration -> low traction, acceptable downforce, less obstacle to rear flows but huge horsepower loss
Spain/W04style configuration -> low traction, no more relevant horsepower loss but decreased downforce
Hungary configuration -> increased downforce and traction
Solved.

TRACTION Solved

REAR DOWNFORCE
At the end of the game, ok rear downforce

FRONT DOWNFORCE
Never solved

TOP SPEED
Due to the "new" sidepods, not enough work/money spent to solve it, "acceptable" top speed anyway

BRAKING STABILITY
The car always loss time in chicanes this year. Not fully solved

UNDERSTEER
The car was designed to fit Hamilton. Never solved

TIRES TEMPERATURE
I think they still have problems here. Not solved

DRIVEABILITY ISSUES
From others' comments it seems a driveable car now. Solved.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Javert wrote:So summary the difficulties of this season / has been solved or not

EXHAUST
Initial configuration -> low traction, acceptable downforce but obstacle to rear flows and huge horsepower loss
China configuration -> low traction, acceptable downforce, less obstacle to rear flows but huge horsepower loss
Spain/W04style configuration -> low traction, no more relevant horsepower loss but decreased downforce
Hungary configuration -> increased downforce and traction
Solved.

TRACTION Solved

REAR DOWNFORCE
At the end of the game, ok rear downforce

FRONT DOWNFORCE
Never solved

TOP SPEED
Due to the "new" sidepods, not enough work/money spent to solve it, "acceptable" top speed anyway

BRAKING STABILITY
The car always loss time in chicanes this year. Not fully solved

UNDERSTEER
The car was designed to fit Hamilton. Never solved

TIRES TEMPERATURE
I think they still have problems here. Not solved

DRIVEABILITY ISSUES
From others' comments it seems a driveable car now. Solved.
In comparison it appears to me that the latest iteration of the sidepods which have the lip on the outside (note that there are two types with the lip on the outside, many just didn't notice the second version get introduced a few races ago) greatly helped to push airflow over the exhaust helping it to reach the floor and increase rear downforce.

Secondly I think the car was actually more designed with button in mind with more built in under steer

tony77g
tony77g

12 November 2013 Vallelunga - Roma - Test McLaren Pirelli FOR SEASON 2014
Last edited by tony77g on 12 Nov 2013, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

astracrazy
astracrazy

its prob the angle, but whats happened to the fw here, endplate looks at a 45deg angle.

right click and zoom

heimana
heimana

astracrazy wrote:its prob the angle, but whats happened to the fw here, endplate looks at a 45deg angle.

right click and zoom

http://www.zaslike.com/files/78h19si3yfv8ppysntgl.jpg
how can you see this? I see anything