McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

R_Redding wrote:He's right though..

I've been watching the timing screens for the last two days , and all cars have started well then tailed of dramatically.

This afternoon Perez and Hamilton did some longer runs ,starting with an initial 1m23s (ish) then within the next two laps their in the 26s,27s and finishing in the 1m31s after approx 10 laps.

The best run I've seen was yesterday when Kimi did 4 consecutive laps of around 1m23.6 or .7 before boxing a 6 lap run.

The McClaren has had (as most have) rubber build up at the rear floor near the tire heat sensors and it makes me wonder how the cars with 5 element wings are going to fair when all that nice gummi rubber starts being flung off and enters the following cars FW.

Rob
The McLaren has been looking great on the high fuel race sims – they've been going from 1:28 to 1:30 in 12 laps, while RedBull were going from 1:29 to 1:34 in only 8.

Nando
Nando

Simple lid for electronics?

"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

bhall
bhall

More likely ballast.

Nando
Nando

In that little box? wow had no idea about that. I also expected the put ballast inside the 4 wheels.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

That little box just might hold electronics inside imo (sensor). And the ballast might actually be surrounding it while filling up the entire central (spec) section.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

wesley123
wesley123

Nando wrote:In that little box? wow had no idea about that. I also expected the put ballast inside the 4 wheels.
Doesnt driveability decrease when you put ballast in the wheels? because of inertia or something like that?

but yeah, most likely is a spot for ballast, electronics seem like a no go to me because of it's quite vulnerable position.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

bhall
bhall

I think he meant within the dimensions set by the wheels. At any rate...

The part you see on top of the wing likely just connects to the ballast attached to it under the wing.

ell66
ell66

beelsebob wrote:
R_Redding wrote:He's right though..

I've been watching the timing screens for the last two days , and all cars have started well then tailed of dramatically.

This afternoon Perez and Hamilton did some longer runs ,starting with an initial 1m23s (ish) then within the next two laps their in the 26s,27s and finishing in the 1m31s after approx 10 laps.

The best run I've seen was yesterday when Kimi did 4 consecutive laps of around 1m23.6 or .7 before boxing a 6 lap run.

The McClaren has had (as most have) rubber build up at the rear floor near the tire heat sensors and it makes me wonder how the cars with 5 element wings are going to fair when all that nice gummi rubber starts being flung off and enters the following cars FW.

Rob
The McLaren has been looking great on the high fuel race sims – they've been going from 1:28 to 1:30 in 12 laps, while RedBull were going from 1:29 to 1:34 in only 8.
fuel. The mclaren has neither looked great or bad compared to the rest on tyre use thus far.

Chuckjr

bhallg2k wrote:More likely ballast.
What is ballast made of on this car, and how much would a piece like that weigh? How many would be typically located on the car and would they be different weights between the right and left side if equidistant from the centerline of the car, and a longitudinally parallel location?
Watching F1 since 1986.

wesley123
wesley123

Chuckjr wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:More likely ballast.
What is ballast made of on this car, and how much would a piece like that weigh? How many would be typically located on the car and would they be different weights between the right and left side if equidistant from the centerline of the car, and a longitudinally parallel location?
I dont think they place much weight left or right, mostly because of body roll. It could be that they use slight weight differences left or right.

The ballast was from a metal, I believe it was called tungsten, but I am not sure, it weights the most per m² iic.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

raymondu999

Nando wrote:In that little box? wow had no idea about that. I also expected the put ballast inside the 4 wheels.
You'd want ballast on the parts of the car "suspended" by the suspension. That way you have less unsprung weight (the tyres and wheels are unsprung weight)
wesley123 wrote:
Chuckjr wrote:What is ballast made of on this car, and how much would a piece like that weigh? How many would be typically located on the car and would they be different weights between the right and left side if equidistant from the centerline of the car, and a longitudinally parallel location?
I dont think they place much weight left or right, mostly because of body roll. It could be that they use slight weight differences left or right.

The ballast was from a metal, I believe it was called tungsten, but I am not sure, it weights the most per m² iic.
F1 teams generally use tungsten as a ballast, that is correct.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Forza

F1 test - Barcelona T02 - day 3

chumma
chumma

No pod winglets again.

CjC
CjC

Isn't lead the heaviest metal?
Just a fan's point of view

raymondu999

CjC wrote:Isn't lead the heaviest metal?
Lead is about 11000+ kg/m^3 I think. Tungsten about 19000+ kg/m^3

I think tungsten is pretty much as dense as it gets. Platinum is denser - I think, but I don't think that's exactly financially sound :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法