Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sevach

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

The new nose was used by both drivers in FP1.

Pavan_MP423

I have major doubt regarding the benefit of driving the turbine and compressor independently by MGU-H. Thoughts have been borrowed from official F1 website where the analysis of PU comparison between Mercedes and Renault are done as follows:

1. With MGU-H of Mercedes PU mounted in between turbine and compressor, do they have 2 shafts- one connected directly from the turbine to the compressor. And another one connected to all three elements ie turbine-mgu-h-compressor? That's what is implied from the statement :"Mercedes' solution offers the possibility of driving the two elements independently" , isn't it?

2. It's been mentioned in the article that in case of Mercedes, MGU-H only has to run the compressor.Thus minimizing extra power that needs to be spent to drive the turbine which is the case of Renault. But the question is (assuming my point no.1 to be correct), since all three elements are mounted on a common shaft. How can MGU-H run the compressor alone?

3. Negate my first point and let's assume that independence is attained by 2 shafts again-one connected to MGU-H from the turbine and second shaft between MGU-H & compressor. In this case, as compressor is solely being driven by MGU-H which harvests energy from exhaust exiting the turbine. Won't this lead to greater amount of turbo lag? As we can see there's a difference between compressor being driven directly by the turbine and compressor driven by MGU-H?
Danger sensation is exciting, the challenge is to find new Dangers.
-Ayrton Senna

https://twitter.com/RealHamiltonFan

beelsebob

No, there's three shafts. One runs from the hot side of the turbo to a clutch. A second runs from that clutch, through the MGU-H, to another clutch. A third runs from the second clutch to the compressor. This allows them to either
1. Engage both clutch 1 and 2. This means that the turbo is both spinning the compressor, and driving the MGU-H.
2. Engage only clutch 1. This allows the turbo to stop spinning the compressor, and put all of it's power into charging the batteries through the MGU-H.
3. Engage only clutch 2. This allows the MGU-H to drive only the compressor, and not the hot side of the turbo, using less energy, and giving less turbo lag, as it can spin up the compressor faster.

I would hypothesis that there's potentially a third clutch in the MGU-H, which would allow them to disengage the MGU-H, and use the hot side of the turbo purely to drive the compressor, without putting any energy into the batteries, if they're fully charge. Given though that most teams are struggling to harvest enough energy, it may well be that this would be added weight for no benefit.

Pierce89

If they have multiple shafts, they can run the turbine and comprssor with only an electrical connection like i've been crowing about in the general engine thread. This would allow the turbine to run in full power harvest at all times independent of compressor speed. You would exchange the slight inefficiency of an electrical connection compared to a shaft but you could harvest more energy in the first place because the turbine and compressor don't encumber each other. More exmhaust recovery and much finer compressor control.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

To me this suggests the Merc MGU-H (*)can get some benefit from turbine spin with off-throttle "cold" blowing - more so then having it coupled to the compressor spin...

(*) off-topic: I still can't see why it isn't MGU-T[hermal] to go with MGU-K[inetic], MGU-H[eat] would go with MGU-M[ovement], surely?

jagunx51

Pierce89 wrote:If they have multiple shafts, they can run the turbine and comprssor with only an electrical connection like i've been crowing about in the general engine thread. This would allow the turbine to run in full power harvest at all times independent of compressor speed. You would exchange the slight inefficiency of an electrical connection compared to a shaft but you could harvest more energy in the first place because the turbine and compressor don't encumber each other. More exmhaust recovery and much finer compressor control.
is that why merc engine use log type manifold, because the turbine donot much rely on kinetic energy from exhaust gas ?
............!!!!

F1T
Administrative bot

Mercedes debuts new, higher nose

Mercedes debuts new, higher nose - Development blog

Mercedes AMG have finally introduced their bespoke new nose cone for its F1 W05. Initially scheduled for introduction at the Australian Grand Prix, the nose cone design had to be adapted repeatedly and failed the FIA crash test three times before passing the front impact test.

The team mentioned their new nose would make it easier to balance the car, admitting that the one raced so far was just a simple version while this development was ongoing. Sharing obvious similarities, the new nose cone is visible higher than before, allowing more air to flow underneath the car, aimed at increasing rear end downforce.

The new design is less bulky underneath while the upper surface is more linear, arguably making the F1 W05 look better. Just like with the first iteration, the front wing supports are still fairly thick as they are an an integral part of the team's strategy to pass the minimum section area of the nose.

JDC123

Was this nose used when hamilton had the front wing support failure in pre season testing?

astracrazy

No this is a new nose

turbof1

It doesn't look like they changed a lot on the wing supports; shape and position look roughly to be the same. I don't expect more issues on that front.
#AeroFrodo

ab_f1

Guys, New here and first post, but a quick question. Could it be that the balance issues for Hamilton are caused by the new nose.

gray41

What number is Nico there? I can't see it.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

De Jokke

ab_f1 wrote:Guys, New here and first post, but a quick question. Could it be that the balance issues for Hamilton are caused by the new nose.
Don't think so, otherwise they would have already reverted back to the old nose.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

mrluke

ab_f1 wrote:Guys, New here and first post, but a quick question. Could it be that the balance issues for Hamilton are caused by the new nose.
Probably. Its the first time they have run it so they need to understand how to adapt their setup.

kooleracer

Again today i was looking for the W05 to engage in 8th gear and they didn't. I saw McLaren and Force India in 8th gear. But maybe we will see it quali but they hit 331 km/h in 7th so i doubt they have 8th gear that is functioning. They are the works teams with all the info so maybe they only need 7th to make the most efficient use of the power band.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."