Red Bull RB10 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
shelly
shelly

Re: Red Bull RB10 Renault

gandharva wrote:Image
In thsi picture the carbon weave of the floor seems not parallele to teh x-y axes fo the car.

that could weel be an aliasing effect of the chequered pattern, but if it is not, it could be something interesting. Usually on the flat you would have 0°-90°-45° plies
twitter: @armchair_aero

sjns
sjns

But how should that be useful? Doesn't the plie only impact the abillity to compensate forces in different directions? Forming the floor shouldn't be a problem with either plie?!

RZS10

FlexiFloor™ :D

shelly
shelly

emmepi27 wrote:Red bull is the only with the monkey under the exhaust (but maybe they have exhaust higher?)
http://abload.de/img/red-bull-formel-1-bahqqrxm.jpg
It is more a bema wing slice (compare with 2013 beam wing height) than a moneky seat. There is enough space for mounting another element above the exhaust, where all the other teams have their monkey seat.
Seems a smart move
twitter: @armchair_aero

gandharva

kalinka
kalinka

It quite puzzling for me that it's the final day of testing and we have not seen yet the mandatory nose cameras on RB :wtf:
I can only imagine two reasons >
1.The aerodynamic effect of the cameras is unimportant for them ( which is unlikely because other teams put quite an effort in their design )
2. They have some very clever solution that they don want to show yet - because it's easy to copy for other teams..

Any other ideas ?

ACJJ619
ACJJ619

It's definitely worth mentioning and I think worthy of more attention that it's getting. How big is the are where they can be placed? Is it big enough that they could be in the suspension arms or wing mirrors?

jagunx51

............!!!!

gandharva

Hehe, picture nazis incoming. As if grammar nazis would not be enough pain for the internet already. :wink:

On Topic:

RAKE!

Xwang
Xwang

Such a rake is maintained also when the car is running? Otherwise it could be that rear suspension is softer than rivals' ones to have better traction. I'm wrong?

McG

Xwang wrote:Such a rake is maintained also when the car is running? Otherwise it could be that rear suspension is softer than rivals' ones to have better traction. I'm wrong?
It flattens out at higher speed.
F1 is dead.

gandharva

Xwang wrote:Such a rake is maintained also when the car is running? Otherwise it could be that rear suspension is softer than rivals' ones to have better traction. I'm wrong?
Running more rake allows way more variability in terms of rear suspension setup. It's a classic win-win situation. The only hard part is to properly seal the diffusor to allow such rake.

Xwang
Xwang

McG wrote:
Ok.
And according to you it flattens more than rivals?
In my opinion if at a typical turn speed (the one which is usually found on F1 circuits and/or which has been chosen as the "nominal" cornering speed by the RB team) the rake is similar to other cars, then I presume the rear suspension is softer than rivals' one (better traction in slow turns).
Otherwise if the same "rake angular gain" is maintained when running, then suspension is as stiff as rival, but if they can manage the flow to be attached, the aerodynamic efficiency of the RB flat plate is greater and so we should expect much more corner velocity than rivals.
Do you agree?

McG

Xwang wrote:
McG wrote:
Ok.
And according to you it flattens more than rivals?
In my opinion if at a typical turn speed (the one which is usually found on F1 circuits and/or which has been chosen as the "nominal" cornering speed by the RB team) the rake is similar to other cars, then I presume the rear suspension is softer than rivals' one (better traction in slow turns).
Otherwise if the same "rake angular gain" is maintained when running, then suspension is as stiff as rival, but if they can manage the flow to be attached, the aerodynamic efficiency of the RB flat plate is greater and so we should expect much more corner velocity than rivals.
Do you agree?
I don't know if it flattens out more than rivals. But the rake is very high at low speeds. It's worked for them in the past and has been discussed to death. Whether it works on this new car is yet to be seen. If they can get it to stop breaking down then we will see if the same philosophy of rake works.
F1 is dead.

kartwheels
kartwheels

Very interesting sound when the car spins 180 degrees to stationary.

ERS locking the rear? Some form of harvest fault?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/26400625