Williams FW36 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: Williams FW36 Mercedes

Some more photos

I really like the sidepods and rear end on this car, remarkably well packaged and great coke bottle with a hint of the double floor concept.

Godius

Is this an optical illusion or do they have some sort of long strake attached to the side pod, just above the floor?

idfx

Godius wrote:Is this an optical illusion or do they have some sort of long strake attached to the side pod, just above the floor?

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 014-12.jpg
Reflex. :D
----------

Ben27
Ben27

Massa is a pretty light driver and he can put the things pretty difficult to Bottas.
The design of this car is quite clear but nothing innovative regarding the 2012/2013 I think I'm seeing dejavu every year at the rear in this car. :P

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

williams is able to pack things so tight with their innovative gearbox [which they've been running for some time now],
but i'm getting the idea they're not benefitting that much from it. the exhaust is like a cannon popping out there.

i wonder whether that gives them negative aero. on the other side, it may reduce a small amount of heat buildup
within the engine cover. apart from that, the 'smaller' packaging will help them gain a lower COG.

the car looks remarkably well packaged and i can't remember being enthusiastic with williams since the early to mid nineties.
mercedes being the engine supplier could give them a very good boost in performance. Still, it's far too early to tell, and sometimes i wonder whether there's something wrong at the entire williams team that blocks them performing.

Remembering they had a gp-winning car 2 years ago - and i suspect that if there had a A-class driver in there they'd won
more and went on podium a tad more frequent - it's odd how they dropped so extremely far back last year. Then they tested
without the coanda effect and they actually gained some performance. It gives me the impression that there there is a certain amount of people around that aren't capable enough to process the data in a way that williams can get a positive development.
That doesn't make the people over there useless or bad - but as with most things, negative results usually originate from bad communications and not enough 'cooperation'.

I just hope to see Williams jumping back to the front. I've lost hopes with them for years, and i've been thinking they're going to fade away and become another team in due time - but i've got my hopes high with this one. MAybe the new f1 format will aid them. If not.....well, then i think the nail has come to the coffin.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Huntresa
Huntresa

Manoah2u wrote:williams is able to pack things so tight with their innovative gearbox [which they've been running for some time now],
but i'm getting the idea they're not benefitting that much from it. the exhaust is like a cannon popping out there.

i wonder whether that gives them negative aero. on the other side, it may reduce a small amount of heat buildup
within the engine cover. apart from that, the 'smaller' packaging will help them gain a lower COG.

the car looks remarkably well packaged and i can't remember being enthusiastic with williams since the early to mid nineties.
mercedes being the engine supplier could give them a very good boost in performance. Still, it's far too early to tell, and sometimes i wonder whether there's something wrong at the entire williams team that blocks them performing.

Remembering they had a gp-winning car 2 years ago - and i suspect that if there had a A-class driver in there they'd won
more and went on podium a tad more frequent - it's odd how they dropped so extremely far back last year. Then they tested
without the coanda effect and they actually gained some performance. It gives me the impression that there there is a certain amount of people around that aren't capable enough to process the data in a way that williams can get a positive development.
That doesn't make the people over there useless or bad - but as with most things, negative results usually originate from bad communications and not enough 'cooperation'.

I just hope to see Williams jumping back to the front. I've lost hopes with them for years, and i've been thinking they're going to fade away and become another team in due time - but i've got my hopes high with this one. MAybe the new f1 format will aid them. If not.....well, then i think the nail has come to the coffin.
Everyone 2 years ago almost had a GP winning cars with how those tyres worked. Williams wouldnt have been close to winning without the tyres in 2012. But that doesnt take away from this car, which looks rly good and hopefully it will revive Massa from his Ferrari stasis...

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

via OmniCorse

The Williams FW36 Simulates Double Diffuser?
The Williams FW36 has the two central pillars that hold up the rear wing: Grove of the car, then, as a support, using two-storey wing which are mounted just above the rear diffuser, the sides of the crash box. The function is twofold: to fasten the side walls (since the only profile extractor would not be able to handle the load) and try to reproduce the effects of the "beam-wing" that year was banned by regulation.

The feeling is that the aerodynamic Williams seek to realize a sort of double diffuser in a very sensitive area of the car because invested by the hot air which is extracted from the sides ...

Blackout

The STR9 has the same.

PlatinumZealot

That wing works when the car is turning.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

PlatinumZealot

Sevach wrote:Some more photos

http://cdn-3.motorsport.com/static/img/ ... 3/s1_1.jpg

http://cdn-9.motorsport.com/static/img/ ... 9/s1_1.jpg

http://cdn-5.motorsport.com/static/img/ ... 5/s1_1.jpg

I really like the sidepods and rear end on this car, remarkably well packaged and great coke bottle with a hint of the double floor concept.
RB5 looking.I quite like it
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

The Pj
The Pj

Blackout wrote:The STR9 has the same.
Have you a picture that shows that? Thank you!

Sevach
Sevach

Those journos... always calling everything that happens in the rear a "double diffuser" :roll:

It's an attempt at getting the same effect as a beam wing, nothing "double diffuserish" about it.

zoro_f1

HR. click to enlarge...

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image โ€œThe force can have a strong influence on the weak-mindedโ€: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

Blackout

The Pj wrote:
Blackout wrote:The STR9 has the same.
Have you a picture that shows that? Thank you!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfAFt2gIIAASKw2.jpg:large

tomazy
tomazy

One feature I really like on this car is the head rest behind the helmet, dons think other cars have this, or am I wrong?