2014 Testing - Bahrain 19-22 Feb

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Richard

Links to live timing :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =1&t=17757

Placeholder for the first Bahrain test

mclaren_mircea

http://grandprix247.com/2014/02/13/mcla ... n-bahrain/

McLaren style wishbone wings to be tested by other teams in Bahrain

Post Jerez, one of the biggest Formula 1 technical talking points has been the clever rear suspension solution seen on the back of the McLaren MP4-9. Now, a number of teams are expected to try their own versions of the concept.

The ‘wishbone wings’ were described by our tech corespondent Matthew Somerfield: “The suspension layout utilised by McLaren is another great interpretation of the regulations with the rear suspension elements made to replicate the outgoing beam wing in terms of the way the airflow operates in that region.”

“The idea is to simulate the same flow pattern that allowed the beam wing to interact with the airflow structures generated by both the diffuser and upper rear wing elements.” Read full analysis here>>>

Rival teams have shown interest in the concept, and it is expected that different versions of the solution will be trialed on some of the 2014 cars when testing resumes in Bahrain next week.

Williams engineer Rod Nelson said after Jerez, “They have been quite ‘cute’ with the regulations, the rear part of the wishbones have a kind of dog leg in them so that they can kind of get these surfaces on the trailing edges. I would imagine that they are trying to make the diffuser work better.”

“There are a few bits and pieces [from other teams] that I am sure will be in the wind tunnel. McLaren’s rear suspension is a stand-out example of that and if we think the FIA will deem that to be legal, then we would be remiss to not try it in the tunnel,” explained Nelson.

Ferrari technical guru James Allison said, “I haven’t seen [the wishbone wings] in the flesh, but I would like to see a bit more of it because it does interest me.”

We may see an arms race starting in Bahrain, if not at the first Bahrain test, then surely at the second test (27 Feb-2 Mar) with lots of resources spent on the butterfly suspension, other teams on adapting a version to their design, and Mclaren refining their version.

Darknight

Re: 2014 Testing - Bahrain 19-22 Feb

Hello from a cloudy day in Bahrain! The weather is absolutely lovely and temperatures are in between 15 and 21 degrees. We had a light drizzle yesterday and its a bit windy right now. Weather for the tests is expected to be nice and sunny. I am very excited about the tests and very happy that 4 full days have been made open to fans to attend. Cost of entry is minimal at 5BD which is about 8GBP. The tests will run for 12 days with 4 days break in-between making for 8 full days of testing. This picture ran in the local papers today and the article states that all teams will be present.

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/source/X ... page29.pdf

Would be great if fellow forumers fly in to watch the testing!

FW17

How come no articles from the F1 press on the political issues of the country this time? Have they all decided to look the other way as BE does?
A policeman in Bahrain has died of wounds from a bomb blast during protests marking Friday's third anniversary of the country's uprising.

The interior ministry said he was one of two officers wounded in a "terror blast" in the village of Dair.

Another three policemen were injured by an explosion near the village of Dih.

Protesters were marking the 2011 unrest fuelled by demands for more rights and an end to discrimination against the majority Shia community.

On Friday demonstrators attempted to reach the site of a bloody crackdown on demonstrators almost three years ago.

Several demonstrators were reportedly wounded by security forces. The interior ministry said in a statement that 26 people were arrested on suspicion of "rioting and vandalism".

Police used tear gas to stop them from reaching the Pearl Roundabout, which was a focus of protests in 2011.

Since then, police and demonstrators have scuffled almost daily. Thousands of people have been arrested.

Associated Press quoted the Bahrain Youth Society for Human Rights as saying 38 protesters had been hurt in clashes since Thursday evening, with injuries caused by birdshot fire, tear gas and beatings.

Repeated clashes
The government and opposition have held two rounds of fruitless reconciliation talks, with a third expected soon.

The protesters are mostly from poorer, Shia areas in the villages outside the capital.

Protesters have repeatedly used burning tyres and other debris as a tactic to block police vehicles from entering Shia areas.

Sunni Muslims are a minority in the country but through the al-Khalifa dynasty have ruled over the Shia Muslim majority for more than 200 years.

The small island country is a key US ally in the Gulf and hosts the US Navy's 5th Fleet.

Bahrain is also closely allied with Saudi Arabia, which in 2011 sent troops into the country to help the government quell the uprising.

ackzsel

WilliamsF1 wrote:How come no articles from the F1 press on the political issues of the country this time? Have they all decided to look the other way as BE does?
Maybe they are just focusing on the sport instead of politics? De problems in Bahrain are already well addressed by the media as shown in you post's attached quote. I'm in no way trying to downplay or justify the human right problems in Bahrain but F1 press is about F1.

iotar__

WilliamsF1 wrote:How come no articles from the F1 press on the political issues of the country this time? Have they all decided to look the other way as BE does?
To answer the question, yes - but forget F1 only, we had much worse when GP took place in 2012. What about media in general? You see Sochi is on the agenda, you can't have two at the same time, brains might explode or rather interests diluted, like never Korea and Iran at the same time as "dangers" of modern world.
If you ever needed an example of culture of mindlessly repeating whatever "issue" is currently on the agenda, fake righteousness of cherry picked outrage this one is great. I say cherry picked but not by public, that would be an effort and dangerous precedent - choices are not theirs. If you compare weight of problems it's really funny or rather disgraceful.

Anyway :oops: Renault engine apocalypse suspense is unbearable [-o< .

Kiril Varbanov

#BBC Alan Mcnish looks ahead to Bahrain and tips Jenson Button for a good season - http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/26217777

Del Boy

I have only read the article placed above, but is Bahrain only open to the public for 2 of the four up coming days? As the Spanish circuits are open all day everyday.

Tik

Del Boy wrote:I have only read the article placed above, but is Bahrain only open to the public for 2 of the four up coming days? As the Spanish circuits are open all day everyday.
According to Darknight's post, all four days will be open to public.
Karthik Venkatesan

bonjon1979

Kiril Varbanov wrote:#BBC Alan Mcnish looks ahead to Bahrain and tips Jenson Button for a good season - http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/26217777
I feel like I read that story every year. No refuelling rule change was supposed to suit button, then it was the narrower front tyres, then it was the disintegrating pirelli tyres that were meant to suit Jenson. Now his 'natural smooth style' will make him suit this new fuel efficiency era...

Are the teams in Bahrain yet? I was expecting some unpacking photos by now!

Del Boy

Tik wrote:
Del Boy wrote:I have only read the article placed above, but is Bahrain only open to the public for 2 of the four up coming days? As the Spanish circuits are open all day everyday.
According to Darknight's post, all four days will be open to public.
I apologise for pedantry I hate it on this website, but if you read dark knight he says four full days out of 8 full days of testing!

Del Boy

bonjon1979 wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:#BBC Alan Mcnish looks ahead to Bahrain and tips Jenson Button for a good season - http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/26217777
I feel like I read that story every year. No refuelling rule change was supposed to suit button, then it was the narrower front tyres, then it was the disintegrating pirelli tyres that were meant to suit Jenson. Now his 'natural smooth style' will make him suit this new fuel efficiency era...

Are the teams in Bahrain yet? I was expecting some unpacking photos by now!
Not sure we'll get many/any as the circuit is not open to the public except on 21st and 22nd February. The only photos will be from the media.

Come on Mark Sutton and Darren Heath.

BorisTheBlade

So AmuS still doesn't promote any coverage for today's testing. So it really looks as if the four days non public testing will be without media coverage. Does anyone have different information or another source?

/Edit:
Erm, I just realised that testing starts tomorrow ;) So there's still hope.

Thunder

BorisTheBlade wrote:
/Edit:
Erm, I just realised that testing starts tomorrow ;)
That plus they rarely start their Day before 8 AM outside of Test / Race Livetickers.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 64430.html
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

NathanOlder

Does anyone know what time the test starts tomorrow? Local time or Uk time? Will it be the usual 9am local time?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC