Mercedes AMG F1 W07

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Mercedes AMG F1 W07

This the official car topic about the 2016 Mercedes contender, the W07.This thread will handle more stringent rules:

-Absolutely no livery talk in the car topic. Liveries are by nature topics assigned to the team thread, and should be discussed there. Posts about liveries in the car thread will be removed.

-Discussion about the car's hardware only. No discussion about the laptimes (should be discussed in the testing or race threads). No speculation or rumors towards future features of the car; no speculation about the competitive performance (car beats car B but car C, etc.). Such discussions will be removed as well.

-Discussion about the Power Unit should belong in its [http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =4&t=23688]respective PU topic[/url]. How the car's chassis and bodywork is adapted to it remains in the car thread, but pure features of the PU don't go there. Since this is quite a grey area, we will not remove transgressions on that front, but will move them when appropiate.

That might sound strict and is infact so, but this is done to safeguard the topic quality. We will be very thorough about that this year! If you don't find anything worthwhile to post, please resist the urge and do not post. There is nothing wrong with that and is infact the better option when there's nothing new.

Thanks to ChrisDanger for pointing to the pictures!
#AeroFrodo

Sevach

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W07

Looks the same mostly, sidepods front are more curvy (you can tell because of the impact structure) and a big airbox (not just the inlet the whole thing is quite chunky at this point).

1,5 element monkey seat too.

Yurasyk

Maybe, it's reasonable to move here posts from the speculation thread after the official photos appearance. There are some useful ones there.

Sevach

hollus

There is a lot going on inside that airbox.
The main diagonal bars might just be the roll hoop structure. Then there is what might be a split in three of the intake, to the bottom, top left and top right. That is less clear, though.
Rivals, not enemies.

djones

I could understand the large intake, if the side pod openings were smaller.

But they are not, or at least not in any noticeable way.

kreuzass

ImageImageImage

In the other thread i stated the wheelbase is longer and then i withdraw... the enginecover is quite a bit longer... so maybe the wheelbase is longer.

+ longer wheelbase (guess)
+ new little wings near break ducts (front)
+ bigger airbox with overhanging top tip
+ changed mirror housings
+ airflow conditioner (behind mirrors) are bigger and moved a bit more in "flow" with mirror mountings
+ enginge cover is longer and reshaped
+ sidepods are reshaped with larger undercut under the coolings inlets
+ coolings exits of sidepods are reshaped and the additional "wing" moved down
+ mounting of rear wing (at enginge cover) is reshaped
+ new little winglets at the front brake
+ sidepod cooling inlets a little bit smaller because of bigger undercut under the inlets
+ changed internal cooling and heat flow
+ changed floor with new cutouts near the rear tire
+ of course changed engine and exhaust system
+ monocoque a bit reshaped
+ flow conditioners over sidepod are more like ferrari last year and renault 2016
+ turning vanes under the nose are new
+ new wheel gun (speculcation thread)
+ front suspension similar to the one tested at the end of last year (quite sure)

There is much moreand i missed something for sure. Overall nice car. Like "Beauty & the beast" (beauty = complete car, beast = engine).
Can not wait till tomorow.
Last edited by kreuzass on 21 Feb 2016, 20:48, edited 3 times in total.

Spoutnik

I have the feeling that the new engine will be a monster. Mercedes have no reason to extend the size of the cooling inlet

proteus

The most interesting thing is that Mercedes has one of the simpliest nose designs and jet the car is good to drive. All other teams trying S ducts, thumb tips, long low noses and are looking all kinds of ways to get air under the nose, but here we have a Mercedes with standard nose (Lotus too last year), still kicking everybodys ass on the track. I know they have the best engine, but still, it would not be any good if the car would be undriveable.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

GPR-A duplicate2

proteus

Spoutnik wrote:I have the feeling that the new engine will be a monster. Mercedes have no reason to extend the size of the cooling inlet
I think the hybrid part is a monster, since most of the inlet is made for cooling it. I bet they got their biggest gains in heat recovery/electricity department.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

ringo

The engine cover outlet is also more opened up in the vertical direction.
Can't wait to hear the other teams complaining about how far ahead mercedes is with their engine.
For Sure!!

ringo

That big intake is not really new if you consider that last year they had the mickey mouse inlets downstream of the roll hoop intake. They have simply brought those inlets forward and in the same plane as the roll hoop intake. So the increase in frontal area may actually be smaller than we think.
For Sure!!

Sevach

ringo wrote:That big intake is not really new if you consider that last year they had the mickey mouse inlets downstream of the roll hoop intake. They have simply brought those inlets forward and in the same plane as the roll hoop intake. So the increase in frontal area may actually be smaller than we think.
They didn't race with those often, only Mexico because of the altitude.

ringo

Yes but it was on the car nonetheless.

It has been used more in 2014 i beleive. But basically i'm saying this year's intake is more or less an evolution of that concept rather than a new direction.

The bigger intakes can be a sign of more electrical power and harvesting requiring more cooling.
For Sure!!