Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bhall II
bhall II

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

I'll put that another way: instead of high pressure buildup that begins at the top leading edge of the sidepod opening...

...the Ferrari design appears to do so from the bottom leading edge, just like a race wing.

zioture
zioture

Vanja #66

bhall II wrote:I'll put that another way: instead of high pressure buildup that begins at the top leading edge of the sidepod opening...

http://cdn.images.autosport.com/editori ... 941048.jpg

...the Ferrari design appears to do so from the bottom leading edge, just like a race wing.
Ok, I understand now what you meant. Agreed, I believe all of this, what we mentioned, is in effort to bend the oncoming airflow downwards and send it to the coke bottle as much as possible. And like I said earlier, this isn't easy at all. Which is why we won't be seeing other teams copying this solution this year... If it turns out to be a good one, they probably will next year.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Simon166
Simon166

Hey everyone, I'm just new here but big fan for a long time.

I was wondering what the white block at Vettel's rear right wheel is anybody a idea? I thought it might be a way to measure how close the rear wheel get's to the bottomplate through the corners. That the white block is some kind of soft material that the tire can "shave" of when it touches it.

And the one piece clutch lever, is that changed compared to the one introduced last year? I haven't seen any close up pictures of the SF70H steering wheel yet unfortunately.

roon
roon

Whatever it is, there's also some of it on the brake duct fairing. Maybe it is a way to get an idea of the tire sidewall shape in-use, as you suggest.

McLaren had a stange appendage in the same area recently, perhaps for the same purpose.

It may all be about minimizing airflow between the floor's edge & the tire, as bhall alluded to in the RB13 thread recently. Getting as tight a gap as possible may benefit the brake duct as well.

skwdenyer
skwdenyer

Mr.G wrote:
PhillipM wrote:The only thing I can think it's they're the hydraulic lines to the accumulators in the sidepods and they've put them in the floor to let the airflow cool them - perhaps instead of using a seperate small oil cooler.

Or, they've painted some black lines on the floor and stuck some spare temperature strips on there to send the other teams on a wild goose chasse? :lol:
It was on the launch pictures too...
Heating can have a direct aerodynamic effect; see https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi ... 009186.pdf for instance.

6 of 12
6 of 12

Great analysis of the sidepod layout!

It would appear, however that everyone has forgotten about the photo below. It clearly confirms that the top intakes are the main cooling intakes. We do not have to speculate about that.

No, Kimi, no. You will not have the drink.

henra
henra

bhall II wrote:I'll put that another way: instead of high pressure buildup that begins at the top leading edge of the sidepod opening...
http://cdn.images.autosport.com/editori ... 941048.jpg
Great picture!
And you can nicely see how much and how far down the high pressure/stagnation at the lower end of the inlet disturbs the vortex going through the undercut. Ferrari's design might indeed turn that stagnation area to the upper part of the sidepod thereby clearing the way for the Y250 through the undercut.
If this is the case, Kudos to them.

jagunx51

PhillipM wrote:The only thing I can think it's they're the hydraulic lines to the accumulators in the sidepods and they've put them in the floor to let the airflow cool them - perhaps instead of using a seperate small oil cooler.

Or, they've painted some black lines on the floor and stuck some spare temperature strips on there to send the other teams on a wild goose chasse? :lol:
I think the black line is just a weaving pattern, but not sure why they put the strip around it :?: :?:
............!!!!

roon
roon

It could just be a channel for routing pipes or wires, as others suggested. Not for heat dissipation, though, but for packaging. The fewer lines and pipes and hoses you have above the floor, the more room there would be for internal airflow. So maybe they've converted the floor into a circuit board of sorts, which the main components plug into (engine, radiators, computers, sensors, control boxes).

PlatinumZealot

I think they still use their successful louvre design radiator guide vanes. The extra opening on top seems to be actually a row of downturning winglets to force air downward to the lower louvres in the side pod. The lower part of the radiator normally would get the hotter air and so i think theses extra winglets inside the side pod inlet are juat to keep the cooling accross the radiator more even and more aligned with the louvres.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Vanja #66

6 of 12 wrote:Great analysis of the sidepod layout!

It would appear, however that everyone has forgotten about the photo below. It clearly confirms that the top intakes are the main cooling intakes. We do not have to speculate about that.
https://s31.postimg.org/4zh0ousij/2017_ ... _55_42.png
I think this photo just confirms that it's easier to place the blower on the top opening and avoid the risk of damaging any internal elements... :)
PlatinumZealot wrote:I think they still use their successful louvre design radiator guide vanes. The extra opening on top seems to be actually a row of downturning winglets to force air downward to the lower louvres in the side pod. The lower part of the radiator normally would get the hotter air and so i think theses extra winglets inside the side pod inlet are juat to keep the cooling accross the radiator more even and more aligned with the louvres.
Flaps on the top opening most likely have multiple purpose, both getting a desired amount of air in the intake in the first place and then guiding it where it should go. Don't think you can make them do just one of those things, though. All the other louvers and elements are most likely there for cooling purposes only, but we'll see this area better once the racing starts and garages have to be open...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

bhall II
bhall II

From the testing thread...
edu2703 wrote:Do you want to see a good analysis on the pre-season tests this week by team? This one was written by Adaulto Silva, a Brazilian F1 journalist. He is not widely known outside Brazil, but his analysis is the best I've read so far. Translated using '' Google Translate '', then expect to see some english mistakes.

[...]

FERRARI - Surprising! The Italians did not use what James Allison was programming for this car and started late from scratch. All with people 'from Italy'. Historically this has not been working for Ferrari. In the last 20 years the Scuderia has needed a lot of 'foreign' engineers to succeed, but this time the car looks well-born. With much more mileage - only losing to Mercedes - than they did last year, long stints and reliable, good speed on the straight and optimum performance on the curves, the SF70H proved much stronger than expected.

Both Raikkonen and Vettel made long stints with medium tires and the car behaved very well in the braking and cornering, balanced and without much escape from ideal race line. And with consistent times. Let's see what the Italians book us for the tests next week, but they certainly started very well. It remains to hope that the car does not 'undo' as it has happened before. But I'm optimistic.

[...]

Original article (In Portuguese): http://www.autoracing.com.br/analise-da ... 1-parte-1/

gioma
gioma

Hi all,
some great analysis on the car aerodynamics and construction already done by some of you but I think is worth to mention that the engine seems powerful and very reliable, which means that cooling needs are well controlled with current design configuration. May be sidepods can still be tightened even knowing, running temperatures were lower during these 4 days test than will be on most of the races!
Cheers

f1316
f1316

gioma wrote:Hi all,
some great analysis on the car aerodynamics and construction already done by some of you but I think is worth to mention that the engine seems powerful and very reliable, which means that cooling needs are well controlled with current design configuration. May be sidepods can still be tightened even knowing, running temperatures were lower during these 4 days test than will be on most of the races!
Cheers
Hopefully I can keep this phrased in such a way that makes it applicable to the car thread rather than team...

... but what interests me is the correlation between some of the more positive rumours we heard preseason (god knows there were lots of negative ones and the one thing we can say with reasonable assurity is that the car is not a complete disaster as was suggested) and the reality.

I'm referring specifically to the rumours in motorsport about 'unusual' and 'interesting' shapes on the car (this is the car thread bit). Ok, that could have been lucky guesses, but it correlates well with the reality - the design of the Ferrari's sidepods is unlike anything we've ever seen.

So that leads me onto thinking about other positive rumours from motorsport, and the one that comes to mind was about 3D printing of pistons (simplified phrasing), coupled with a new magnetti Marelli micro injector, that would allow a massive step forward on engine side. Here's the article for reference:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.moto ... 70008/amp/

The upshot of all of which coud be:
It is possible that the power unit that will be fitted to the car for the testing phase will be just a first step though, because back in the engine department, chief designer Sassi Lorenzo and Enrico Gualteri, who is responsible for assembly, are hoping to finalise bold changes that could deliver a big step forward in performance
Now Scarbs also mentioned that Ferrari supplier Mahle did seem to have some patents in this area (as a complete side note: if a supplier with an exclusive deal with a particular manufacturer has a patent on the technology, doesn't that mean others cannot copy it?) which lends credence to the claim, as does the fact that the other rumours from the same publication of 'interesting' shapes on the Ferrari - which were to some extent dismissed amongst the more pervading pessimism - seem to have been borne out.

So whilst there's been a lot of high profile talk of steps made on the Mercedes and Renault engines (and complete overhaul of architecture on Honda - for better or worse) it's quite possible Ferrari have done just as much if not more of a step, but are continuing their chassis philosophy of not saying anything.

But equally, they could be running an engine spec very different from Melbourne (or even the second test) - in order to put miles on the car without reliability issues (people love to say how this is what Mercedes do, but Ferrari did almost as many laps, so...) and cooling parameters could be very different .