2017 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, 12-14 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
piast9
piast9

Re: 2017 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, 12-14 May

Restomaniac wrote:
15 May 2017, 00:02
After watching the race a second time. I can never remember so many drivers saying 'leave me alone' or words to that effect whilst sounding out of breath in a race before.
I can't remember a race in the past few years that drivers just are out of breath. That's good, like Kvyat have told the Buxton in the post race interview that F1 started to feel like a sport.

Schuttelberg

A huge shout out to the new F1 owners! That little boys day is made. This is how you give back to fans. Hell, we have nothing to do with it but it puts a smile on your face. As a fan, I feel cared for. Huge thumbs up!

Can't see Bernie ever doing such things!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

dans79

Schuttelberg wrote:
15 May 2017, 00:26
Can't see Bernie ever doing such things!
Bernie probably would have made sure they showed the kid crying another half dozen times!
197 104 103 7

SectorOne

This was a proper good race i have to say.
Fantastic watching Vettel and Hamilton pushing like mad men out there.
Hamilton sounded like he was dying on the radio with all that breathing. Proper gladiators out there now with these monster cars.

I don´t care what driver or what team wins this championship, as long as it continues like this it will be one of the best seasons of all time.

edit: Props to Liberty/FIA letting them race!
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

flynfrog

I agree SectorOne I am really enjoying this season. I think the removal of DRS would make this perfect. We could have watched HAM and VET battle it out for a few more laps. I liked the Sky commentators comments something to the effect it sounds like he has Roscoe in the car with him. These guys are working for it.

PlatinumZealot

Great race! The win was in doubt up to the VSC but Hamilton always seems to win the sloggers somehow.

I am still a little unsatisfied at the pace of The mercedes. While it could follow much closer with these new upgrades - which i am quite pleased about - the Ferrari is still a touch faster. Hamilton said so many times that he just couldn't match the pace of the Ferrari. If it weren't for the little crumbs of luck that fell his way Hamilton would simply NOT have won this race. Don't get me wrong his pace put him in the position to capitalize on said bits of luck.. but it was all too clear that Ferrari still have the upper hand in the race.

Mechanical grip and engine power. We still have that advantage. But Ferrari has better downforce and tyre management. We should have the advantage in Monaco.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

flynfrog wrote:
15 May 2017, 01:29
I agree SectorOne I am really enjoying this season. I think the removal of DRS would make this perfect. We could have watched HAM and VET battle it out for a few more laps. I liked the Sky commentators comments something to the effect it sounds like he has Roscoe in the car with him. These guys are working for it.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/ ... 06x423.jpg
Back when Roscoe was a few pounds lighter. Haha
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

flynfrog

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 May 2017, 01:32

Mechanical grip and engine power. We still have that advantage. But Ferrari has better downforce and tyre management. We should have the advantage in Monaco.
did you get hired by Merc or something? :lol:

flynfrog

The announcers kept asking Bernie if he was buying Force India is there any substance to this that I missed?

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 May 2017, 01:32
Great race! The win was in doubt up to the VSC but Hamilton always seems to win the sloggers somehow.

I am still a little unsatisfied at the pace of The mercedes. While it could follow much closer with these new upgrades - which i am quite pleased about - the Ferrari is still a touch faster. Hamilton said so many times that he just couldn't match the pace of the Ferrari. If it weren't for the little crumbs of luck that fell his way Hamilton would simply NOT have won this race. Don't get me wrong his pace put him in the position to capitalize on said bits of luck.. but it was all too clear that Ferrari still have the upper hand in the race.

Better tyre management? Remind me which car did over 30 laps on soft tyres today and which car had far better long run pace in FP1, FP2 & FP3?

PlatinumZealot

Restomaniac wrote:
15 May 2017, 01:57
Better tyre management? Remind me which car did over 30 laps on soft tyres today and which car had far better long run pace in FP1, FP2 & FP3?
We didnt get to see the full extent of ferrari becuase of tyre differential and the forced strategy. But you could tell by Hamilton having overheating tyres that if he had a straight fight with Vet he would have lost.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

I want to bring the attentio of you all to this qualifying analysis if not posted already. What does it say about the engine power, traction and relative low med high speeds of the cars?

https://streamable.com/nvsmo

The ferrari seemed to have better top end acceleration and downforce. Amazing thru the high speed corners and the wider lines that Vettel could take.
Really, the Ferrari was faster here and the pole was vettels but he screwed up the exit chicane as he said. What i am excited about is Mercedes low speed performance for Monaco.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

wow!!! What a GREAT race by the WHOLE Mercedes team. Kudos for their effort, they deserved it.

GPR-A duplicate2

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 May 2017, 03:05
I want to bring the attentio of you all to this qualifying analysis if not posted already. What does it say about the engine power, traction and relative low med high speeds of the cars?

https://streamable.com/nvsmo

The ferrari seemed to have better top end acceleration and downforce. Amazing thru the high speed corners and the wider lines that Vettel could take.
Really, the Ferrari was faster here and the pole was vettels but he screwed up the exit chicane as he said. What i am excited about is Mercedes low speed performance for Monaco.
That is f****** amazing analysis. Great graphic work of the comparison.

siskue2005

AnotherAlex wrote:
14 May 2017, 22:56
The one trick Ferrari missed, which only occurred to me long after the race had finished, is that they should have pitted Vettel for mediums as soon as the VSC was called, then brought him in again on the next lap for softs.

People were saying before the race that you'd want to be on the medium tyres for as short a stint as possible and it's fair to say they were right.

Otherwise, the loss of Raikkonen following the collision with Bottas gave Mercedes a significant tactical advantage that Ferrari weren't able to counter.
The rule says that u need to run two different compounds at least 1 RACING lap. Safety car or Virtual SC Period won't count as a racing lap. Just like u can't take a penalty during a SC or VSC