2017 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, 26-28 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Vasconia

Re: 2017 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, 26-28 May

GPR-A wrote:
26 May 2017, 08:51
Artur Craft wrote:
26 May 2017, 03:43
and Vettel barely did any fast laps in order to be that close, on FP1, while the others(the Mercedes, RBs, Toro Rossos) did tones of fast laps. It was no surprise to me that Vettel was confortably faster than anybody esle, on FP2, even with little running again.
If you replace "Vettel" with "Hamilton" in the quote above, it fits the description below perfectly.
Artur Craft wrote:
It was very frustrating reading a few pages of the 2016 thread and seeing the fanboyism related to Hamilton there.
On the race part....

Looking at the long run times, Mercedes seems (or as they have been putting it across) to be struggling to get heat into the tyres, but once they put heat in, their long run pace is on par with the Vettel's times.
Vettel was doing mid 1m15.xxx, which is what Bottas did on a few laps where he did manage to run.
Red Bull were doing high 1m15.xxx, placing them to be third, as usual.
Toro Rosso were doing low 1m16.xxx.
Force Indias were doing similar times to Toro Rosso. Could be a tenth or two behind TR.
Williams is behind both of them, doing high 1m16.xxx.
So no chances to overtake if you are behind. Victory will be for the one who achieves the pole. I just want to see if Mercedes continues on FP3 to struggle with the tyres.

GPR-A duplicate2

Vasconia wrote:
26 May 2017, 09:32
So no chances to overtake if you are behind. Victory will be for the one who achieves the pole. I just want to see if Mercedes continues on FP3 to struggle with the tyres.
Race is on Saturday. Sunday is just the ceremony to give the awards. Assuming Mercedes would struggle to warm up the tyres, Ferrari's 16 years' drought on the principality could be over.

The_table

GPR-A wrote:
26 May 2017, 11:02
Vasconia wrote:
Race is on Saturday. Sunday is just the ceremony to give the awards. Assuming Mercedes would struggle to warm up the tyres, Ferrari's 16 years' drought on the principality could be over.
Hang on, so when is Qualy and FP3, the F1 site says the race is Sunday at 14:00, qualy Saturday 14:00-15:00, FP3 also saturday...

Chanman141
Chanman141

He means that the race is done by qualifying on Saturday since there are hardly any passes in the Sunday Race in normal conditions.

The_table

Oh ok, i was thoroughly confused there...it kinda made sense since FP1 and 2 were Thursday... :oops: :D

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

A safety car or VSC is going to decide the race on Sunday. We're going to see the top teams really using their drivers tactically. Because the tyres can go the whole race, there's nothing to stop a team from sacrificing one driver to just stay out and hold up the others behind. I think we're going to see some really funky strategies play out as Teams hold off pitting until a safety car or something happens. Someone will gamble on either staying out or diving in. Being first might be a vulnerable position to be in as you may be vulnerable from the undercut or by the other teams keeping a driver out. I think it's going to be complicated with fate playing a considerable hand.

Sevach
Sevach

Artur Craft wrote:
Sevach wrote:
25 May 2017, 15:01
Looking at Max's driving i'd say there's a good chance of "redemption" this time.
Yes. He has been solidly quick all day but this redemption will not come as pole/win, I'm afraid, and the best he and Ricciardo will be able to do, imho, is fight the Mercedes(who might have hidden their pace, regardless of the alleged bad setup for FP2, because Kvyat was just 0.68s slower on FP1, despite using the SS)
Redemption in the context of his car yes, which seems nowhere near Vettel's Ferrari.

And who knows, it's Monaco, Mercedes is fumbling a little a bit, Kimi is nowhere and Ferrari is turning bad pit calls into a tradition.

Gothrek
Gothrek

bonjon1979 wrote:
26 May 2017, 11:35
A safety car or VSC is going to decide the race on Sunday. We're going to see the top teams really using their drivers tactically. Because the tyres can go the whole race, there's nothing to stop a team from sacrificing one driver to just stay out and hold up the others behind. I think we're going to see some really funky strategies play out as Teams hold off pitting until a safety car or something happens. Someone will gamble on either staying out or diving in. Being first might be a vulnerable position to be in as you may be vulnerable from the undercut or by the other teams keeping a driver out. I think it's going to be complicated with fate playing a considerable hand.
I always thought there is no undercut possible in Monaco

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Gothrek wrote:
26 May 2017, 13:13
bonjon1979 wrote:
26 May 2017, 11:35
I always thought there is no undercut possible in Monaco
I guess it depends how long the first stint lasts. That's kind of my point. If they go sixty laps on one set of tyres, I imagine there will be a huge performance differential between new and old tyres. I guess it matters at what lap is the prime one to go for the undercut. There will be a moment in the race when if you're close enough to the car in front you can overtake using the undercut. If the leading car tries to pre-empt that by pitting first then a team could sacrifice their number 2 driver to hold up the lead opposition car to allow their lead car to run longer and overtake the front car that way because the tyres won't go off enough. Do you get what I mean?

ringo

It may be best to pit early...
Since the tyres last the whole race. With no need to pit again a safety car cannot affect your race even if it bunches up your rival behind you, who may have on fresher rubber, he cannot pass in monaco.
For Sure!!

Big Mangalhit

Is there any chance the top teams do q2 with ss and then go for a undercut with us? Or is it to bad to start the race with ss and have lower grip off the line?

marmer
marmer

Big Mangalhit wrote:Is there any chance the top teams do q2 with ss and then go for a undercut with us? Or is it to bad to start the race with ss and have lower grip off the line?
Normally its too slow but the first corner is not far away at Monaco so might be ok. Could be worth a risk with the 2nd cars so they would block the undercut by staying out longer and still having life in tyres

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Sevach
Sevach

If you are infront and on US just wait for the SC, you can't be undercut by someone taking the SS anyways.
If you are out of position, bad qualifying for whatever reason... start on SS, get rid of it immediately, and go to the end collecting misfortunes.

Sevach
Sevach

Big Mangalhit wrote:
26 May 2017, 14:53
Is there any chance the top teams do q2 with ss and then go for a undercut with us? Or is it to bad to start the race with ss and have lower grip off the line?
It's unlikely that a car on SS would be able to hang close enough to one on US to make this work, the car on ultras should be able to pull a gap of over 4s easily imo.

Unless we are talking about a Ferrari following a Williams or something unbalanced like that.

f1316
f1316

GPR-A wrote:
26 May 2017, 11:02
Vasconia wrote:
Sunday is also the opportunity the FIA gives to the winning driver/team combo to hand back their trophy - the last two years the Saturday winner's team apparently didn't want it ;)