2017 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 10-12 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Tunefix
Tunefix

Re: 2017 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 10-12 November

Are Interlagos the only track on the F1-calendar that are chicane-free?
I can not think of any other track without at least one chicane.

Vasconia

Its difficult to see so epic wet races like in the past because nowadays the race is inmediatly red flagged or leaded by the SC.

Shrieker

NathanOlder wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 09:51
The drive was so good indeed, I've never questioned that, i was just saying he was remembered more for 1 thing that had a large slice of luck. Lewis' drive was probably a shade better as he didnt really put a foot wrong, in those conditions with a title on the line was pretty extraordinary.
To be fair, Hamilton had nothing to lose. The pressure was off. All of it was on Rosberg and he almost mucked it up.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

NathanOlder

Tunefix wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 14:05
A1 ring (Red Bull Ring) doesnt have any.

and it depends what definition you use of the word chicane, as I'd say Malaysia and China don't really have any chicanes as such.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

WaikeCU

NathanOlder wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 14:36
Tunefix wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 14:05
A1 ring (Red Bull Ring) doesnt have any.

and it depends what definition you use of the word chicane, as I'd say Malaysia and China don't really have any chicanes as such.
Is the Senna S not a chicane?

godlameroso

Where do you draw the line between a chicane and an s turn?

Also expect heavy crosswinds this weekend, it'll be windy blowing to the west, the straights run north to south. It also means a head wind into right turns and tail winds into left turns. Won't affect turn 1 very much as there are walls blocking the wind, but turn 4 will be quite tricky, as will turn 10.
Saishū kōnā

NathanOlder

As an example, using Catalunya, Id say turns 1&2 are not a chicane, and the 2 turns before the pit lane entrance is a chicane.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

sosic2121
sosic2121

NathanOlder wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 17:00
As an example, using Catalunya, Id say turns 1&2 are not a chicane, and the 2 turns before the pit lane entrance is a chicane.
Agree.
I wish "they" didn't add so many of them.

Sierra117

One place I'd really like chicane-less is the Mulsanne Straight. But when things go wrong there they really do, so can't see that ever happening unless safety really takes a massive leap.

Anyway, forecast looking the same now? I wanna see a wet qualy for some reason lol.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

godlameroso

No rain for any of the sessions as far as I can see, maybe some dampness on saturday, or for the start of the race, but nothing that should require wet tires.
Saishū kōnā

sAx
sAx

NathanOlder wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 20:27
Does anyone remember Verstappen catching and passing Lewis last year ?
I seem to remember Max losing it and nearly smashing into the wall while trying to catch lewis, yet people always mention how good max was that day, also remembering that Lewis had everything to lose and Max had nothing to lose.
+1 As mighty as Max's performance was, Lewis' was mightier!
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

sAx
sAx

Schuttelberg wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 09:56
AMG.Tzan wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 20:46
NathanOlder wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 20:27
Does anyone remember Verstappen catching and passing Lewis last year ?
I seem to remember Max losing it and nearly smashing into the wall while trying to catch lewis, yet people always mention how good max was that day, also remembering that Lewis had everything to lose and Max had nothing to lose.
Of course everyone will say "yeah he was in a Mercedes so it doesn't matter!" Same thing goes for his 2008 Silverstone GP drive...no one seems to remember it or mention it in the Formula 1 videos! They only refer to Schumacher's 1996 Spanish GP masterclass!
The thing is that there is always a glorification in our world about the past (Senna, Schumacher) and about the future (Verstappen). No one ever gives a toss or values what we have (Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso). I've been watching F1 since 1994 and nothing about this has changed. I have seen the title of 'rain master' tossed around a lot and there comes a point where you just accept it and put it down to media drivel and a bunch of loonies trying to promote the sport through a driver.

In my opinion, and it's just that, I don't think the three drivers of this generation are any less than the two greats I mentioned of the past. I'll reserve judgement on Verstappen till I see a few more but let me tell you, he looks the part.

I think if I truly had to pick the all time best drives I have seen in the rain, they would be as follows-

M Schumacher (Spain 96) - There are at least 5/6 more I know but I'd like to mention a few other drivers.
F Alonso (Hungary 06)
L Hamilton (UK 08)
S Vettel (Italy 08)

Just let these guys retire and you'll see these names tossed around then.

PS - I never saw Ayrton race in the wet. So no comment on him.
Donnington '93!! The Master's Class!
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

atanatizante

For the last 4 races Merc cars were running very conservative - both for securing WCC and WDC - and to back that I have the proof of no using their famous Q3 engine/PU mode : on F1app I was watching their top speeds (and their momentary top speeds) in all the qualy session and they were the same! Only Ferrari did use it!

So at least on paper we should have in prospect a fight between the top drivers but unfortunately now in 2017 (with no need to have a homologated PU) all the top teams will focus on 2018, hence we could see some strategic PU change prior to qualy ...

And despite Toto statement regarding they will try new and bold concepts for 2018 I agree with those how said that they will be underneath the car ... and had I be in their position I would put a 2018 spec PU and run it 2 weekends - here and in Abu Dhabi - just to test at least the mileage, knowing they`ll have for the next year only 3 PU for the whole year ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

djones
djones

The idea of using a 2018 PU makes sense logically.

But I suspect one of those would not be ready for another 2 months. Surely?

Maybe a few of the components or ideas could be tried I guess.

Sevach
Sevach

Is that Hartley's new engine? Renault "doing a Honda" right now.

Mercedes could go back to back on rear ride height, test how much it affects the balance.