Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wuzak
wuzak

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Vanja #66 wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 10:07
Guys, if holes are allowed, that means multiple closed cross sections are allowed in that area. If that was true, teams would have slats (flaps in front of wings) on floor leading edges a year ago, as it would provide substantial aero gains - for both increased downforce and efficiency.
It looks to be in a similar plane to the radiator inlet.

Perhaps you can point to the rule that forbids it.

F1NAC

To me that looks like there is one straight surface with winglets and after that floors leading edge having some angle. So that straight surface is feeding floor with vortices

Vanja #66

wuzak wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 10:32
Perhaps you can point to the rule that forbids it.
Perhaps you can point to the rule that allows it. :)

Gary A not quite impressed, mentions Ferrari missed a crucial area of development. If anyone would be so kind to give us an indication of what that area is, I'd be very thankful. :)

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/has- ... 07869/?s=1
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Big Mangalhit

I've seen multiple people saying they copied the McL bargeboards but I really can't see it. Can you be more specific where?

The way I see it they look almost like the ones in the late SF70H in a different paint scheme

I imagine this area will change a lot during the year, for every team probably.

As for that intake/hole debacle, could it be that the supposed hole is technically the floor leading edge? It looks to sit about where the leading edge was last year. Then the carbon bodywork in front of it is technically part of the barge board itselfs

wuzak
wuzak

Big Mangalhit wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 10:54
I've seen multiple people saying they copied the McL bargeboards but I really can't see it. Can you be more specific where?
It isn't the barge boards, but the front wing mounts and the vanes that are behind them.

Big Mangalhit wrote:
The way I see it they look almost like the ones in the late SF70H in a different paint scheme

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... RIGHT1.jpg

https://www2.pic-upload.de/img/34888217 ... 148237.jpg

I imagine this area will change a lot during the year, for every team probably.

As for that intake/hole debacle, could it be that the supposed hole is technically the floor leading edge? It looks to sit about where the leading edge was last year. Then the carbon bodywork in front of it is technically part of the barge board itselfs
It could be the leading edge of the floor.

wuzak
wuzak

Vanja #66 wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 10:52
Gary A not quite impressed, mentions Ferrari missed a crucial area of development. If anyone would be so kind to give us an indication of what that area is, I'd be very thankful. :)

Colour of the paint?

Maybe he is talking about funny suspension geometries.

Santozini
Santozini

g70
g70

The car looks good and beautiful, but some fundamental problems need to be solved:
1) Extra power lack in Q3
2) High fuel consumption
3) Heat disposal

<La macchina sembra buona e bella, tuttavia bisogna che vengano risolti alcuni problemi fondamentali:
1) mancanza Extra potenza in Q3
2) Consumi carburante elevati
3)Smaltimento calore>

atanatizante

[/quote]
Rules don't allow an opening at the bottom of the sidepods/leading edge of the floor.
[/quote]

Maybe it is allowed after all ...

More photos in Merc thread : forum/viewtopic.php?p=740151#p740151
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

FrukostScones

nope
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

f1316
f1316

wuzak wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 11:37
Vanja #66 wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 10:52

Colour of the paint?

Maybe he is talking about funny suspension geometries.
Yeah, my understanding was he was talking about the front suspension; that said, he mentioned a couple of avenues but no idea what the other one could be.

He seems to think both Ferrari and Red Bull have missed a trick so Mercedes will likely have it their own way this year; from my vantage point, it seems like both have taken more aspects from their competitors than Mercedes - who seem to have been more about fixing any flaws in their existing concept - so it feels to me like a bigger aerodynamic push/reach/stretch for Ferrari/RB, so surprised to read that.
M

Big Mangalhit

wuzak wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 11:35
Big Mangalhit wrote:
It isn't the barge boards, but the front wing mounts and the vanes that are behind them.

yeah the inner wing part and mounts is quite spotable I think, I meant these comments with the bargeboards
GoranF1 wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 20:11
Lots of copies of 2017 Mclaren aero concepts...FW, under-nose area and bargebords are similar
Manoah2u wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 23:20
seriously happy with the Ferrari.
some interesting stuff as far as i'm concerned

1 - first of all, all red, including the halo. looks fantastic. +1 already.
2 - dat rake. that's just incredible.
3 - those sidepods. amazing. very tiny opening
4 - interesting possibility for a lower extra intake near the floor
5 - mirror intakes - fantastic ! whether it's drag-reducing or an actual intake, great innovation
6 - nose and bargeboards are mclaren-inspired
7 - halo 'wing' on top
8 - winglets at the monocoque sides in front of ferrari logo steering air very cleanly to the floor
9 - front wing looks very detailed and interesting at the 'lower wings' at the corners meeting the fw end plates
10- lots of 'air combing' through the winglets, from the FW to the bargeboards to the side impact structures
11- another rear impact structure 'ducktail' serving as a monkey seat like alfa and merc
12- T-wing at the end of the dorsal fin

wuzak wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 11:35
Big Mangalhit wrote:
It could be the leading edge of the floor.
so in that case would you say that a slot would serve the purpose of feeding the underfloor?

PlatinumZealot

atanatizante wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 12:52
Rules don't allow an opening at the bottom of the sidepods/leading edge of the floor.
[/quote]

Maybe it is allowed after all ...

https://s14.postimg.org/j4dw1uykh/2018- ... View_Z.jpg

More photos in Merc thread : forum/viewtopic.php?p=740151#p740151
[/quote]

Those are just long open ended slits not holes.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Mamba
Mamba

Bit worried by the fact that Ferrari have not done a shakedown like nearly all the top teams or did they just run in secret around Fiorano? Anyone out there know anything?

MAMBA

MtthsMlw

Mamba wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 20:35
Bit worried by the fact that Ferrari have not done a shakedown like nearly all the top teams or did they just run in secret around Fiorano? Anyone out there know anything?

MAMBA
Shakedown is on sunday in Barcelona :D