2018 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 13-15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
George-Jung
George-Jung

Re: 2018 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 13-15

marvin78 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 18:20
He had a few races like that. When does the eyes opening happen? ;) But today was indeed different. He saw his error. Now the development to a real race driver and not glory driver can begin. This will result in less spectakular races but it will be good for him.
The other incidents had room for debate- but not today.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

ArcticWolfie wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 17:45
NathanOlder wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 17:04
Manoah2u wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 15:23

Apart from that Verstappen was too 'greedy' today, you're blowing things out of proportion.

Verstappens move on Ham was far from brain-dead, it was a phenomenal move but Lewis i'd say actually pulled a really d*ck move on Max which was left completely unattended and quite frankly set a stage.

If you actually have the b*lls to objectively and calmly look at that move of verstappen on Hamilton, then you would have noticed that verstappen was alongside hamilton, when all of a sudden, Hamilton's car made a sudden frisky move to the right, which Max had to evade and sent him off track which then saw Ricciardo pass him.

Hamilton had the line completely under control, and in my opinion, pushed him off track deliberately. there was no braking problems for Lewis, there was no loss of grip, it was a clear signal to Max that he wasn't making it easy on him, in my opinion, a rather ***hole move, especially since Max' front wheels far passed Lewis rear wheels in the corner so Lewis was actually oblidged to leave him space - which he actually totally did not. Apart from all of that,
the outside line was dirty too so there was no grip for Max to respond to Lewis suddenly moving towards him.
even if it wasn't delibarate at all, that doesn't make it a brain-dead move. the only braindead move i saw today
was that of Gasly on Hartley.

To me it looked like Max just lost the rear and after saving the car had no choice but to run wide. I will need to see it again, but i thought Lewis left room. Going to the outside of the track at that point was madness with the marbles.
Indeed, he even said so himself too many marbles and lost traction:
https://www.ziggosport.nl/fragment/5957 ... a-mp4.html

(Dutch interview :P )

I know I'm impatience, but **** Verstappen's performance today truly hurt. Been a fan of him since he started F1, but his actions today (incl. the remark to Hamilton) were just painful to watch and unneeded :(
The Dutch reporter asked him why he's so impatient... he didn't know yet, better find out this year.
Thanks both of you guys. I thought my eyes were painted on for a second there.

Sierra117

Unfortunately it doesn't look like he'll make any changes. He admitted his fault in the post-race interview ... and then immediately replied to a follow up question that he doesn't think he needs to calm down or change anything, just needs to "analyse" ... Ok then.
Last edited by Sierra117 on 15 Apr 2018, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Mandrake
Mandrake

Bill_Kar wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 15:46
My driver of the day is definitely Bottas.
Sure, Ricciardo was good no doubt, but I think Bottas will leave with some confidence.
He did a fantastic first stint staying close to Vettel, an incredible outlap, a marvellous overtake on Kimi, and he defended really well against Vettel & more so against Kimi towards the end(maybe not so with Ricciardo, but that was inevitable either way).

And then you wonder, what about Hamilton? I felt he was really lost the whole weekend. He is extremely lucky with how things developed
Mhh Bottas had a good race, but Dotd? He fell back more than 3secs behind Vettel and then "got lucky" by pitting at the right time. Ferrari made a very bad call concerning the timing of the Pitstop and that made Bottas get the pass done.

There were many flawless drivers today, Alonso, Hulkenberg, Vettel.....but Ricciardo was the one pulling off the moves. I doubt anyone else would have been able to cleanly perform these last minute braking attempts. Hence I'd be okay giving it to Ricciardo. You need to have the material but you need to make use of it. Today the likes of Hamilton, Verstappen and Raikkonen were "demolished" by their teammates despite having the same material.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

George-Jung wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 18:26
marvin78 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 18:20
He had a few races like that. When does the eyes opening happen? ;) But today was indeed different. He saw his error. Now the development to a real race driver and not glory driver can begin. This will result in less spectakular races but it will be good for him.
The other incidents had room for debate- but not today.
Indeed.
He is SO frustrating. You can see the talent is there in spades however sometimes he just doesn't engage his brain.

There was no way in hell that the Hamilton move was ever going to work for starters. Verstappen on the marbles in a place that is no way an overtaking place against a driver of Hamilton's experience and skill? Give over Max.

The second one was just as bad though. Just where did he think Vettel was going to go when you steam in from that deep back. The speed Verstappen entered that corner meant he was always going to collect Vettel. As it is Vettel didn't do anything wrong and didn't exactly take the tightest line. Although as I say he (Vettel) could have been on the very edge of the track and their would still have been contact IMHO.

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

Sierra117 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 18:46
Unfortunately it doesn't look like he'll makr any changes. He admitted his fault in the post-race interview ... and then immediately replied to a follow up question that he doesn't think he needs to calm down or change anything, just needs to "analyse" ... Ok then.
He says a lot more than just analyzing here:

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

I watched the race again.

The most amazing thing for me was Bottas's 5 seconds gain with the pitstop undercut. That showed what Mercedes really has even in the hands of Bottas. Mercedes could have win all these three races with some luck. I think Mercedes is the fastest car. This also shows Hamilton (or his team) was having an off weekend. "Zero" development from last year's qually time did not make sense anyway. He should have been where Bottas was at least. He needs to recover.

Raikkonen was very good. It is just unfortunate he is used by Ferrari as the perfect 2nd driver so I was really happy to see on the podium, well deserved.

Daniel did not misuse his chance, did the job. Great for him.

Vestappen is just not smart enough to be a champion.

Sierra117

ArcticWolfie wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 18:57
Sierra117 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 18:46
Unfortunately it doesn't look like he'll makr any changes. He admitted his fault in the post-race interview ... and then immediately replied to a follow up question that he doesn't think he needs to calm down or change anything, just needs to "analyse" ... Ok then.
He says a lot more than just analyzing here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUbODoli_ko
He used lots of filler words like "maybe" but eventually said the same thing; that he doesn't see a need to be less aggressive or whatever. It also doesn't help that these interviewers are putting words in everyone's mouths by saying "nobody wants to see you xyz". They're just reaffirming to him that it's fine, go ahead and be reckless. Anyway, it's done and dusted. On to Baku.

Also many are mentioning Hamilton being bad and this and that. True, but it's entirely possible that the car isn't suiting him well enough right now and it is suiting more of Bottas' style. It was the reverse last year. Similarly Raikkonen didn't find the car to his tastes last year but he's blitzing it from the get go now.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Mandrake
Mandrake

Restomaniac wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 18:52
There was no way in hell that the Hamilton move was ever going to work for starters. Verstappen on the marbles in a place that is no way an overtaking place against a driver of Hamilton's experience and skill? Give over Max
No come on, that move, had he pulled it off would have been applauded and praised by everyone - deservedly so. It was a gamble which almost worked, he was already alongside Hamilton round the outside. Also he only slightly harmed himself in that move and did not take anyone out. With hindsight it was the wrong attempt and he should have waited, but knowing how strong the Merc is on the straights and not knowing hot long the Softs will deliver the extra bit of performance it was a valid attempt. He was back up Hamilton's arse a few laps later.

fabian77
fabian77

NathanOlder wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 16:43
fabian77 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 14:24
NathanOlder wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 14:01

Indeed. Although only 10% of his victories having competed in about 60% of the races. So he's well off target that way :lol:
He wasn't lucky to start his career in a championship winning car like Lewis did.
Lewis wasn't lucky, he fully deserved a top car and that was justified in his performance that year. How many drivers won every series they ever entered ? Lewis did and deserved a top car so it wasn't lucky.
I am not saying it was not deserving, but was lucky, Imagine if Senna, Alonso, Kimi and Vettel started their careers in championship winning cars like Lewis that's my point. Daniel started with that useless Hispania (HRT) car

Mansell89
Mansell89

JonoNic wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 17:25
Mansell89 wrote:
Bit confused with this- have I said something opposite to my point of view previously or something?
Is it fine when Mercedes uses Bottas in that way but it's diabolical if Ferrari uses Raikkonen?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Neither is fine IMO. I like drivers to have to race, whether team mate or not.

I never said Merc didn’t use Bottas the same way- perhaps mixing me up with someone else?

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Mandrake wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 18:50
Bill_Kar wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 15:46
My driver of the day is definitely Bottas.
Sure, Ricciardo was good no doubt, but I think Bottas will leave with some confidence.
He did a fantastic first stint staying close to Vettel, an incredible outlap, a marvellous overtake on Kimi, and he defended really well against Vettel & more so against Kimi towards the end(maybe not so with Ricciardo, but that was inevitable either way).

And then you wonder, what about Hamilton? I felt he was really lost the whole weekend. He is extremely lucky with how things developed
Mhh Bottas had a good race, but Dotd? He fell back more than 3secs behind Vettel and then "got lucky" by pitting at the right time. Ferrari made a very bad call concerning the timing of the Pitstop and that made Bottas get the pass done.

There were many flawless drivers today, Alonso, Hulkenberg, Vettel.....but Ricciardo was the one pulling off the moves. I doubt anyone else would have been able to cleanly perform these last minute braking attempts. Hence I'd be okay giving it to Ricciardo. You need to have the material but you need to make use of it. Today the likes of Hamilton, Verstappen and Raikkonen were "demolished" by their teammates despite having the same material.
Well, if someone got lucky today, it wasn't Bottas for sure.
I can't deny Ricciardo's drive, don't get me wrong, but there was so much grip on his tyres it was like PlayStation. Kudos to RBR for their strategy and their opportunistic approach, but it wasn't DR who made the big difference today. At least, he does not crash into others :oops:
I just think this was Valtteri's time to shine, and he was kinda robbed by the antics of Whiting, IMHO.

JonoNic

Mansell89 wrote:
JonoNic wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 17:25
Mansell89 wrote:
Bit confused with this- have I said something opposite to my point of view previously or something?
Is it fine when Mercedes uses Bottas in that way but it's diabolical if Ferrari uses Raikkonen?

Neither is fine IMO. I like drivers to have to race, whether team mate or not.

I never said Merc didn’t use Bottas the same way- perhaps mixing me up with someone else?
Could be. Then I apologize for accusing you. We have a similar view I just see it as both teams using it and it's acceptable to them.

Always find the gap then use it.

Unc1eM0nty

Mansell89 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:09
Ferrari’s treatment of Kimi today was probably more disappointing to me than all of the other things today. What an absolutely awful way to treat their driver, 3 races in after he’s driven pretty beautifully every weekend so far.
It was a great race with lots happening but I watching this left a bitter taste on my mouth, I'm glad that Kimi salvaged something from the race but this is tainted by the fact that Ferrari also gained, shame on them.

PlatinumZealot

JPBD1990 wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 17:34
LM10 wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 16:32
foxmulder_ms wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 16:20
You know what, I started to think ferrari engine might be more powerful. :)
I think Ferrari has done an overall good job. It was correct, it seems, that the SF71H has much potential, as it's been claimed from Ferrari side.
I think that is clear. Even if Mercedes end up the over all faster car (yet to be seen) Ferrari is riiiiiight there. Pretty sweet after the relative obscurity they’ve been in since 2009 really. I think Binotto is a great asset and I hope they’re throwing money at him to keep him there and keep him happy.

I’m just curious though - it doesn’t appear as though any major upgrades are attributable to the performance increase since Australia. Could anyone speculate on why? Getting on top of setup - but what does that mean in practice? I ask as someone interested, with no technical knowledge.
Yes. A new floor for Bahrain.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏