2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, May 24-27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Jolle
Jolle

Re: 2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, May 24-27

netoperek wrote:
26 May 2018, 23:28
Jolle wrote:
26 May 2018, 22:17
I think Marko will sit down with verstappen tonight and tell/urge/demand that his race starts three laps in, not at the first corner...

second possible win he's thrown away this year because he was too eager...
Marko is either not allowed to or not able to make Max understand such concept IMO
Allowed he is. Able as well. Question is more if Verstappen will remember...

atanatizante

Why not pit Max for SS tyres after the first lap, had he survives unhurt after the start ... He could do easily 77 laps on that tyre bearing in mind that he`ll be most of the time chasing backmarkers ...

But the most interesting thing, in my opinion, will be if one of the first 5 drivers would pit for new tyres if we would have a safety car in the first 10 laps ... I could see Vettel doing that and opting for SS tyre for the rest of the race, don`t you think?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

TNTHead

I think Red Bull might after this race reconsider their future with Max. He's still young, lot's to learn, his driving style does not suit well with Monaco, Okay but it's not his first throw away of a good result. When it is so obvious that Red Bull could score a 1/2 and he makes that costly mistake again... How long can he go on like this? It would be a pity, I still hope he can get his act together again. Spain was actually an almost fault free race where he outraced his teammate.

Curious to see if he can make a clean race.

LM10
LM10

TNTHead wrote:
26 May 2018, 23:39
I think Red Bull might after this race reconsider their future with Max. He's still young, lot's to learn, his driving style does not suit well with Monaco, Okay but it's not his first throw away of a good result. When it is so obvious that Red Bull could score a 1/2 and he makes that costly mistake again... How long can he go on like this? It would be a pity, I still hope he can get his act together again. Spain was actually an almost fault free race where he outraced his teammate.

Australia - He damaged his car.

Bahrain - He crashed into Hamilton and destroyed his own race.

China - He crashed into Vettel and destroyed his and Vettel's race.

Baku - He was part of a disastrous team-intern crash which put out both cars.

Barcelona - Not a heavy one, but still: He crashed again.

Monaco - He crashed and destroyed a really good opportunity to win or at least be on podium.

There has not been any race this season in which Max drove without any mistakes. It's amazing how tolerant and patient his team is with him. But there is gonna be a limit for sure.

nick p
nick p

the Qualifying very good lets see if Ricciardo can win the race!

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Phil wrote:
26 May 2018, 17:36
Fulcrum wrote:
26 May 2018, 16:59
If he does, his first priority will be to build a pitstop advantage over Raikkonen, taking the 2nd Ferrari out of range of strategic interference. From that point Red Bull will simply cover off whoever happens to be behind him. Probably going to be very boring if this transpires.
The thing is, a pitstop takes around 24s around Monaco. That's a long stop and I'm not sure the Hyper-Softs can be run long enough to drive out that kind of gap even in the quickest car this year.

Raikkonen and Bottas might be key-players into tomorrows place, as they are both the 2nd drivers behind their respective team-mates starting from position 4th and 5th respectively. I don't think Mercedes is cunning enough to play the strategic game (and use the 2nd driver as a pawn) and will simply race and let the chips fall where they fall. Ferrari on the other hand, they'll go a far way to snitch that win with Vettels car IMO.

Going from Hyper-Softs to Ultra-softs might prove difficult tomorrow. They'll need to do that, to keep a one-stop-strategy alive, but this will mean that they'll probably be going onto a harder tire that will not reach its optimum grip level until perhaps a lap or two. So the undercut will not work.

From RedBulls perspective:

If Ricciardo stops first, he'll probably fall behind both Kimi and Bottas. This means that either team could use their driver as a blockade to help their other driver ahead to pull out a gap and gain track position over the leader.

Alternative is to run as long possible until the cars directly behind him start to pit. Then you can react to those pitstops and mirror strategy if need be.

From Ferrari's (Vettels) perspective:

Pitting first will be a problem, as you'll be going onto slower tires so pitting early won't help. So from Ferrari's perspective I'd try to go as long as possible, further beyond RedBull. Then use your second driver to block (assuming he'll be ahead of the RedBull). The thing is though, I assume RedBull's wear will be just as good if not better than the other cars, so he'll probably be happy to stay out too for as long as he must.

What I'm wondering is, if there are some teams that will simply dedicate themselves to a 2-stop race. I.e. Vettel stops before Dan, but pits for another set of Hypers (instead of Ultras). This means his outlap will be fast, possible fast enough to pull of an undercut if he is close enough. RedBull will come in, and if they know they have just lost track position, will probably stay out long and then go for the one-stop on ultras. If they can't make the one-stop work however, the HS-HS-US might yield better when the 2nd stop arrives...
All good points, but my thought is Kimi will be significantly slower in the first stint - 0.5s per lap or more. Couple that with degradation, and I could easily see him being the key man to avoid for Ricciardo tomorrow. I think the Red Bull will be able to get to lap 20-25 on these tyres, by which time he may very well be that far ahead of Kimi, especially if degradation affects Ferrari more than Red Bull. Very happy to be proved wrong.

PlatinumZealot

LM10 wrote:
27 May 2018, 00:00
TNTHead wrote:

Monaco - He crashed and destroyed a really good opportunity to win or at least be on podium.

There has not been any race this season in which Max drove without any mistakes. It's amazing how tolerant and patient his team is with him. But there is gonna be a limit for sure.
Not quite the next Lewis Hamilton is he? The wait continues...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

NathanOlder

Lando is the next Lewis. Verstappen was meant to be the next Senna #-o

Trouble is, Max is trying to be Bruno :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

NathanOlder wrote:
27 May 2018, 07:41
Lando is the next Lewis. Verstappen was meant to be the next Senna #-o

Trouble is, Max is trying to be Bruno :lol:
I think you mistyped as I assumed you were going for ‘Maldonado’ when you typed Bruno?

I said the other week that I missed Crashtor. I didn’t expect Verstappen to try and make me feel better about it though.

Genuinely the FIA and stewards need to take a HUGE part of the blame. Whilst they continually refuse to nail Max to the wall when they should he will keep driving around like he owns the damn place.
We had another incident this weekend before his crash. If anyone else had reversed onto the racing line with a car oncoming there would have been a punishment.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 May 2018, 05:44
LM10 wrote:
27 May 2018, 00:00
TNTHead wrote:

Not quite the next Lewis Hamilton is he? The wait continues...
The thing is that there is talent there but he drives around like he owns the damn place.

djos

Amazing job by Danny Ric, he really stamped his authority through the weekend and Max clearly cracked under the pressure! Can't wait for the race!
"In downforce we trust"

McMika98
McMika98

LeClerc is the next big star in the making, the guy has been phenomenal in the last few races. Lando might be the next Palmer if they keep hyping him. Hamilton is very lucky he had a winning car most of his career, above average when car is not the best just like yesterday.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

McMika98 wrote:
27 May 2018, 08:49
LeClerc is the next big star in the making, the guy has been phenomenal in the last few races. Lando might be the next Palmer if they keep hyping him. Hamilton is very lucky he had a winning car most of his career, above average when car is not the best just like yesterday.
Yes because you consistently break records when you are just very lucky. :wtf:

NathanOlder

Restomaniac wrote:
27 May 2018, 08:58
McMika98 wrote:
27 May 2018, 08:49
Yes because you consistently break records when you are just very lucky. :wtf:
Exactly. I'd say it's more a case of, the people who make the best cars want the best drivers and thats why Lewis has always had a decent car.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Schuttelberg

With every passing race Max is increasing the number of zero's in Ricciardo's pay cheque. At this present moment, while I still rate Max as a top 5 driver and I frankly am just a normal fan, I get the feeling RBR will be getting quite impatient about the contract situation pertaining to Daniel.

This sport moves past you very fast and if Verstappen doesn't improve and more importantly accept his over exuberance he's going to go from being compared to Schumacher/Senna to Maldonado/Grosjean.

Some quite great world champions like Hamilton (2011) and Vettel (2010) have had their seasons of crashes, but there was a maturity about them to accept their mistake and bring about a change in their mindset without letting go off their cut throat edge. Arguing with reporters over this being his 6th consecutive weekend of crashes isn't exactly a bright spot on his CV.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"