2018 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 24-26 August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Zynerji

Re: 2018 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 24-26 August

Outside top 10, even from penalties, get fresh tyres.

subcritical71

Zynerji wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 00:09
Outside top 10, even from penalties, get fresh tyres.
Sounds reasonable. And to answer my own question, if they are required to use the Q2 tires and do not it’s a 10 second stop and go penalty :shock:

search

subcritical71 wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 23:49
search wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 23:02
F1NAC wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 20:56

Ye during pitstops

Another question. Will Bottas start on set used in Q2 after he progressed into Q3?
yep, same as everyone else who progressed into Q2
What’s the penalty of he puts new tires on? (Back of the grid?)
"A penalty under Article 38.3(d) will be imposed on any driver whose car is not fitted with the tyres with which he set his fastest time in Q2"

which is...

"d) A ten second stop-and-go time penalty."

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Bottas can start on any tyre he wants so long as he isn't in the top 10.

LM10
LM10

zibby43 wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 22:07
So he lost "only" 4 tenths in S2 while enjoying better track conditions than Hamilton had. Not that impressed by that particular tidbit.
Vettel has done his whole lap without battery power. On a drying track and therefore more power importance coming into play again, that should not be ignored. For S2 power is required too - it's not Monaco after all.

Having said that, track conditions were better for Vettel, but there was no huge difference like someone would assume after reading a few comments here. Vettel was already on his flying lap when Hamilton was still not finished with his one.

yelistener

Juzh wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 17:04
MtthsMlw wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 16:53
Juzh wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 16:50
Hamilton 100% flat trough puohon on his Q2 run

HQ: https://streamable.com/0yk0w

https://streamable.com/0yk0w
Amazing =D>
Anyone else flat through there?
Not that I've seen, but there's no ferrari footage from q2.
Kimi's first Q2 lap was not flat. There was half of his lap with the halo telemetry during Skysports broadcasting. Still he won Lewis 1st Q2 by 0.184s.

Schuttelberg

The way this championship has gone, I totally expect some twist tomorrow!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Zynerji

I think it will either be boring as hell, or a TITANIC nail biter!

Maybe Ocon locking up into turn 1 and taking out the top 2 and giving Perez the win? :lol:

Phil

To be honest, i’d be willing to bet that Vettel and Hamilton will collide tomorrow.

It’s a fricking long way up Eau Rouge, beautiful slipstream and Vettel might have learned from Hamilton’s “trick” last year. Hamilton will go aggressive, as he should. He is leading the championship, but IMO on the back foot considering Ferrari has the quicker car. If they crash, it puts Vettel at a disadvantage, so Hamilton should be able to defend more aggressively/ruthlessly. If they collide, it’ll be to Vettels detrimend given the gap stays the same.

If they dont crash, i somehow expect Vettel to prevail tomorrow. That car is mighty quick, especially on the straight.

The start & first lap will be crucial, anything beyond will be more difficult. We will see. For sure gonna be an exciting race to see unfold.

One more thing; Hamilton is a bit vulnerable alone at front without Bottas. Kimi could play into Vettels hands on strategy.

All IMHO of course.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

dans79

Phil wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 03:33
One more thing; Hamilton is a bit vulnerable alone at front without Bottas. Kimi could play into Vettels hands on strategy.
Vettel is pretty vulnerable himself, Ocon and Perez will be fast down the strait, and won't really care about crashing or the championship, just getting the best possible finish. Not to mention If Kimi has one of his typical starts he might get jumped by Max & Daniel and find himself in 8th or 9th by the end of the first lap. If that happens he won't be much of a factor unless the first stint is really short.
197 104 103 7

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Lady luck intervened again, without it Mercedes had no chance of a higher spot than 3rd on the starting grid, rain or no rain.

PlatinumZealot

I like the Perez-Oco buffer between the contenders and Kimi, Max and Daniel because we should get a clean unobstructed fight for the win. The raw speed of Seb's Ferrari will be difficult for Lewis to defend against, and I don't see him holding on to the lead for too long so I can see Sebastian winning on pure pace. Only if it rains can I give Lewis a chance here.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Schuttelberg wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 22:53
Gr1ff wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 20:40
I hope one day Hamilton will drive for Ferrari so he will finally be appreciated.

Great qualifying. I hope there will be a good battle between Seb and Lewis tomorrow.
Hamilton doesn't need to be a Ferrari driver to be appreciated. He has driven an entire career at an incredible level. Formula 1 fans have a habit of being drowned in nostalgia and putting down current drivers. Once Hamilton and Vettel retire, we're going to appreciate what we're watching at the moment. It is the stuff of legends!
I’ve said that all along. The very second Hamilton (and Vettel) retire and we lose them and see the massive hole left behind they will be put up there with Prost, Senna, Schumacher, etc. By that point it will however be too late.

I’m enjoying the here and now. Others need to do the same. See this situation for what it is folks, please just watch the skill and actually enjoy it.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 06:05
I like the Perez-Oco buffer between the contenders and Kimi, Max and Daniel because we should get a clean unobstructed fight for the win. The raw speed of Seb's Ferrari will be difficult for Lewis to defend against, and I don't see him holding on to the lead for too long so I can see Sebastian winning on pure pace. Only if it rains can I give Lewis a chance here.
I’m not so sure. Remember it was the Ferrari (Raikkonen’s) that was blistering it’s tyres. All the reports all weekend said that the Mercedes was stable and planted. This could very well be a war of attrition.

Sevach
Sevach

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 06:05
I think it's tough, i can see Hamilton coming out of S2 1,5s ahead lap after lap(the combo of the Mercedes being strong there plus aero wake from those fast corners) making it difficult for Vettel to get ahead.

Vettel is gonna need a tire offset IMO.