Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

I'm surprised that doesn't fall foul of the ride height in lock rules like the Mclaren suspension did last year.

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

GrandAxe wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 23:45
LM10 wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 23:02
What is this noise right after he releases throttle after accelerating? For example at 0:24 and 1:24. Is it really the turbo dump?

And what's this steam engine like noise after 0:40 for like 7 seconds?
I heard it too, like a release of gas when it changes gear.
Yes sounds like a wastgate turbo flutter. Maybe this one is part of the anti-lag system solution from 2021 when the MGU-H "probably" will disappear so they are looking ahead a bit. Just a thought..
Last edited by El_KaPpa on 14 Feb 2019, 09:45, edited 2 times in total.
Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

dans79

So, Scarabs thinks Mercedes might have found a trick with their front wing end-plates that will generate more out wash than the other cars we have seen to date.

197 104 103 7

PhillipM
PhillipM

I can't see how those blisters can be engine mountings - the regulations for engine mounts are at the front, to the bulkhead, not the rear to the gearbox.

dans79

PhillipM wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 02:12
I can't see how those blisters can be engine mountings - the regulations for engine mounts are at the front, to the bulkhead, not the rear to the gearbox.
they are at the rear as well.

this is from my 2017 copy of the rules, but I'm pretty sure they are still the same.
5.3.8 Power unit mountings may only comprise six M12 studs for connection to the survival cell and
six M12 studs for connection to the transmission. All studs must be used and may be fitted on
the survival cell, power unit or transmission. The installed end of the studs must be M12 and
the free end may be a different diameter.

The mounting faces of the studs for connection to the survival cell must lie on the forward of
the two planes described in Article 5.3.7 and be located at Y215/Z15(2), Y340/Z260(2) and
Y175/Z420(2).

The mounting faces of the studs for connection to the transmission must lie on one vertical
plane normal to the car centre line and be located at Y100/Z15(2), Y150/Z140(2) and
Y255/Z345(2).

A tolerance of +/- 0.2mm will be permitted on all of the above dimensions, all dimensions refer
to the centre of the studs.

The distance between the two planes is fixed at 480mm (+/-0.2mm).

Any part which provides an additional load path from the survival cell to the gearbox, with a
connection to the power unit, may only do so if this is incidental to its principal purpose.
197 104 103 7

zibby43
zibby43

dans79 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 02:02
So, Scarabs thinks Mercedes might have found a trick with their front wing end-plates that will generate more out wash than the other cars we have seen to date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umqsOKevga8
That’s an excellent point. Nice find.

Some of the details on this launch spec are really impressive. I can’t wait until we get to see the diffuser.

Zynerji

With the front wing end plate curving inwards, does that cause the air to exit outward from the bottom of the wing? Like a sideways diffuser? Are vertical gurney flaps allowed on the end plate's trailing edge?

zibby43
zibby43

Zynerji wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 05:46
With the front wing end plate curving inwards, does that cause the air to exit outward from the bottom of the wing? Like a sideways diffuser? Are vertical gurney flaps allowed on the end plate's trailing edge?
According to Scarbs, the top edge of the end plate creates a vortex that naturally wants to spill outside, effectively pushing the airflow outward even further than the other FW designs we've seen with the end plates shaped in the opposite (i.e., outward) direction.

He thinks it could be a clever trick that other teams may try to copy.

FMP
FMP

Giando wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 00:47
mantikos wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 00:26
Giando wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 23:29

Yes! I think you're on to something here... I've noticed that too this morning but i could just come here on the forum quite lately to see if anyone else have picked it up too. It took me a while to find your tiny post ahaha!

Here you go, with a pic highlighting what we both came up to think...

http://i66.tinypic.com/25icj6x.jpg
Looks no different than last year to be honest, and all reports suggest there were no changes to the front suspension, just the rear
I'm sorry, i have to disagree.

Something has definitely changed in the area where the push rod connects with the hub. My guess is there's an additional external pivot like for the upper wishbone. I might be wrong, but you can't say it looks no different, just compare the W09 and W10 pics... i think it should be better to check this part of the car deeper next week rather than overlook it.

http://i67.tinypic.com/utp9x.jpg
The shape is definately aerodynamic. It's outwash bound. It does look "odd". Now I just wish I could tell you what it is. The basic shape reminds me of the thermal camera on the front wing looking at the front tyre temperature but the location seems weird for that. Interesting!

Espresso
Espresso

zibby43 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 09:00
Zynerji wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 05:46
According to Scarbs, the top edge of the end plate creates a vortex that naturally wants to spill outside, effectively pushing the airflow outward even further than the other FW designs we've seen with the end plates shaped in the opposite (i.e., outward) direction.

He thinks it could be a clever trick that other teams may try to copy.
When if I understand correctly Scarbs added that the little bend couldn't influence the airflow enough but it could be ment to influence the vortices coming off from the front tyre. (vortice/airflow induced by rotating wheel) and these ones could create an outwash.
That wheel-vortice in effect should pull/bend the other vortices out with it.

...wow great analysis from Scarb.. =D>
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

garyjpaterson

Morteza wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 22:54
dans79 wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 22:52
Morteza wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 22:47

They are halo attachment points. They were also present last year, but this color really makes them pop. All teams have them
ahh, ok

I assumed they attached just like they did on the test rig, by that I mean a single horizontal pin.
https://cdn-0.motorsport.com/static/img ... /Halo1.jpg
Maybe it's the for bodywork the teams attach to the halo. I could be mistaken though
No look at F2/F3 or any of the other cars that run a halo without an aero fairing - those 3 bolts at each side are the mounting points.

cramr
cramr

PhillipM wrote:
Yeah they are not. They always had that, it's to clear some coolers and internal stuff

zioture
zioture

Car camparison

Morteza

cramr wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 12:09
PhillipM wrote:
Yeah they are not. They always had that, it's to clear some coolers and internal stuff
I think that's where ERS coolers are located, no?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Sierra117

OK I needed to do something in anticipation so I just tried to do what I could with these shots for those who have really good keen pattern-recognition to sniff out anything particular or make out something. I can't obviously.

Alas, I don't have CSI: Miami hardware or I would have "enhanced" much better rofl.

The first image's sharpened version shows a strange and interesting shape.

NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir