Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zibby43
zibby43

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

roon wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 03:18
Ferrari and RB have run bigger outlets all season. If bigger outlets and more voluminous bodywork compromise Merc's aero then they may commit to the detunes in hot weather all season, at least until PU upgrades can address anything. Strategy being: concede performance in hot weather races, gain it back when weather permits, while getting a more compact package all the while.

Ferrari and RB perhaps less bodywork limited with their power unit performance, but have to commit to bulkier sidepods and engine covers.
Yeah, Merc's more conventional sidepod shape belies the fact that they have the tightest packaging on the grid this year in that area. Ferrari is slimmer around the roll hoop as they repackaged a lot of their cooling infrastructure to the sidepod area.

The important thing to remember is that it wasn't just the heat that troubled Merc this weekend, it was the heat and the altitude, and we won't be seeing another combination like that until Mexico. Plus, this circuit was one that was very demanding on the PU regardless of those factors. Perfect storm, really.

zibby43
zibby43

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 05:12
The important thing to remember is that it wasn't just the heat that troubled Merc this weekend, it was the heat and the altitude, and we won't be seeing another combination like that until Mexico. Plus, this circuit was one that was very demanding on the PU regardless of those factors. Perfect storm, really.
considering Mexico isn't until late October I don't think the temperature will be anywhere close to as bad.
197 104 103 7

zibby43
zibby43

dans79 wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 05:25
zibby43 wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 05:12
considering Mexico isn't until late October I don't think the temperature will be anywhere close to as bad.
Very true. Toto cracked me up today. He was doing something on social media for the team and said he hoped it was cold and rainy at Silverstone lol. Long-range weather forecast has the temperatures between 69-71 F (20 C) with a mix of clouds and rain.

bill shoe
bill shoe

roon wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 00:48
Might also consider how dependent this car is upon not running in traffic.
Exactly. I remember the RB was always buttoned up tight to run in the front during the era of Vettel dominance (~2013). At Austria yesterday the tables were turned. Win some and lose some. Merc didn't panic and brought home two cars with solid points.

GPR-A

Bottas says miscalculation led to cooling issues in Austria
"We knew today was going to be hot, but we calculated it a tiny bit wrong as well," Bottas said.

"I think also the laptime estimates for the lift and coast was not quite spot on. The more we had to do lift and coast, we were losing bigger chunks of time than we actually predicted.

"For me it was the hardest race in terms of power unit management, temperature management, I've never had to manage it so much.

"Also we couldn't run the full power of the engine, because of temperatures, so that was costing quite a bit of laptime as well.

"So it was tricky, attacking and defending was pretty much impossible, and always if there was a car close ahead I was getting brighter, bigger warnings on the dash.

"So definitely a race that we need to learn from and make improvements, because there will be other hot races."

michl420
michl420

Just by a quick look i Would say Mercedes has the smallest coolers in the sidepods of all Teams, and releases the hot air by a big part in the HALO area. So this Problems are in the calculation during the car design.

zibby43
zibby43

According to Mark Hughes, from a cooling perspective, what ended up costing Merc the most aerodynamically was what they had to do with the rear engine cover opening.

Apparently that really messed up their diffuser performance, in particular.

"The extra area of radiator outlet peeking above the suspension at the base of the engine cover was visibly greater on the Mercedes than its rivals. This not only interrupts an aerodynamically sensitive area around the diffuser, but that hotter air is less dense, thereby less effective in creating the pressure differentials that in turn create downforce."

You can really see what he is referring to in the second pic.

AUSTRIA

roon
roon

michl420 wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 17:11
Just by a quick look i Would say Mercedes has the smallest coolers in the sidepods of all Teams, and releases the hot air by a big part in the HALO area. So this Problems are in the calculation during the car design.
I think it's a fundamental that they wouldn't have overlooked. They can sacrifice some hot weather races without compromising their season.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

zibby43 wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 21:02

"The extra area of radiator outlet peeking above the suspension at the base of the engine cover was visibly greater on the Mercedes than its rivals. This not only interrupts an aerodynamically sensitive area around the diffuser, but that hotter air is less dense, thereby less effective in creating the pressure differentials that in turn create downforce."
Isn't the whole ethos of the cars to get air flowing over the diffuser so that there is a lower pressure difference. If you wanted a big pressure difference, you'd create a base suction by sticking stuff like bodywork above the diffuser. I guess the issue is that the hot air is "messy" rather than "clean and fast" and that's what reduces the performance.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

michl420 wrote:
The temperatures at the circuit were much higher than might normally be expected at that circuit at that time of year. They expected some lift and coast to control temperatures (as Bottas states), but the unusually higher temperatures during the race meant that they needed to do more than expected.

Had the temperatures been as expected, and calculated for, then their performance would have been more in line with what we've seen this season.

zibby43
zibby43

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 21:17
zibby43 wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 21:02

Isn't the whole ethos of the cars to get air flowing over the diffuser so that there is a lower pressure difference. If you wanted a big pressure difference, you'd create a base suction by sticking stuff like bodywork above the diffuser. I guess the issue is that the hot air is "messy" rather than "clean and fast" and that's what reduces the performance.
Yeah but if you see that larger cutout that's more easily visible in the second photo I posted, I'm guessing that missing bodywork there interrupts the air that would otherwise normally be steamrolling down the smooth, uninterrupted bodywork.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

It was like that in France:

Singabule
Singabule

michl420 wrote:
Their strategy was 17 of 21 race correct. Its effective in majority of track, so this is one off issue. Next race we would see normal Merc.

ringo

I think that idea about the cutouts affecting the diffuser is exaggerated.
The car didn't have aerodynamic problems in Austria. It was all down to the PU not being able to withstand the heat.
That engine is so well packaged and probably over refined to the point the safety factors for cooling are very marginal.
The car was soaked with heat preventing the drivers from pushing the whole race.
What is most striking to me is that that there was nothing wrong with the engine. No issues with combustion or radiators or pumps.This was a perfectly fine engine, that simply wasn't designed for a 40 degree ambient. The design is too refined.
For Sure!!