Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zibby43
zibby43

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

MtthsMlw wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 18:51
The upper SIPS don't stick out that far. I doubt these are influencing this now upward bending element.
This article refers to this element as part of the crash structure and evidence that the new chassis is being used.

https://maxf1.net/en/2019-german-gp-mer ... ew-livery/

“The world champions have prepared a new, lighter chassis that has a different lateral safety structure that no longer connects to the vertical aerodynamic element near the sidepod shoulder but ends up bowed upwards (turquoise), connecting with the upper horizontal element.”

MtthsMlw

Here you can see the upper SIPS. This doesn't tell anything about the aero element that now changed and vice versa. It's an aero thing and not an impact structure.

zibby43
zibby43

MtthsMlw wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 19:24
Here you can see the upper SIPS. This doesn't tell anything about the aero element that now changed and vice versa. It's an aero thing and not an impact structure.
https://i.redd.it/jxeodrpacrr21.jpg
My understanding, even from the launch analysis of the W10, is that the side pods on the W10 are so narrow that a mere portion of the crash structure is exposed. Any of the aero elements or shrouding we are seeing are covering the actual safety component itself (similar to the halo).

I want to emphasize that I fully understand that aero has been added and shrouded around the area.

"Mercedes did not do this, although sidepod volume definitely has shrunk significantly compared to last year, partially exposing the upper side crash structure"

(from F1Technical): http://m.f1reader.com/news/mercedes-w10 ... sis-216486

Other sources reported it as well.

izzy
izzy

I wonder if they've reinvested the weight in a bit more radiator! Also i hope the white sticks around the grey is terrible

MtthsMlw

zibby43 wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 19:35
MtthsMlw wrote:
"Mercedes did not do this, although sidepod volume definitely has shrunk significantly compared to last year, partially exposing the upper side crash structure"
Sure they stick out a bit probably just shy of where this element starts to bend upwards. I don't see how that's different to before where the element was straight but got thinner and slightly bending downwards - no longer housing the impact structure.
What I'm trying to say is that you don't need to change the positioning of the impact structure for this update.

OO7
OO7

MtthsMlw wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 19:53
zibby43 wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:
Sure they stick out a bit probably just shy of where this element starts to bend upwards. I don't see how that's different to before where the element was straight but got thinner and slightly bending downwards - no longer housing the impact structure.
What I'm trying to say is that you don't need to change the positioning of the impact structure for this update.
Exactly.

zibby43
zibby43

Blaze1 wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 19:59
MtthsMlw wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 19:53
zibby43 wrote:

Exactly.
That was my question in the first place lol. It’s actually very clear to see where the crash structure is protruding from the side pod and feeds into the overly thick and robust beginning of the shrouding for the aero component.

Maybe the confusion stems from the fact that I describe those aero components as “crash structure elements.” Since the elements are literally born out of and formed over the crash structure components extending beyond the side pod edges, I thought this was an appropriate descriptor.

It’s a moot point now. The new chassis has been confirmed by AMuS. Which is what I was driving at.

Morteza

Via @AlbertFabrega and @wbuxtonofficial
Last edited by Morteza on 25 Jul 2019, 12:18, edited 3 times in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

zibby43
zibby43

Is this the new engine cover and rear bodywork, Blaze? Sure looks like it.

Only a single blister at the rear, compared to before.

OO7
OO7

zibby43 wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 09:56
Is this the new engine cover and rear bodywork, Blaze? Sure looks like it.

Only a single blister at the rear, compared to before.
Yeap, that looks like the one tested during the British GP FP sessions. Not as pretty or as streamlined as the older version they raced with unfortunately, but more important is that it improves performance.

djones
djones

If these updates are worth even 0.3 and manage to fix the cooling issues, then we are probably going to see domination like the start of the hybrid era.

I do not keep on top of all the cars, but from what I have seen this side pod update alone is one of the biggest seen in the season by any team. Visually anyway. Talk of a lighter chassis, new diffuser and all sorts and this could end up making F1 and the other teams look a little silly. But not in a good way.

OO7
OO7

Is there a good way to look silly? :D

F1Krof

djones wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 10:13
If these updates are worth even 0.3 and manage to fix the cooling issues, then we are probably going to see domination like the start of the hybrid era.

I do not keep on top of all the cars, but from what I have seen this side pod update alone is one of the biggest seen in the season by any team. Visually anyway. Talk of a lighter chassis, new diffuser and all sorts and this could end up making F1 and the other teams look a little silly. But not in a good way.
But if the updates don't even work and they switch to the old spec and end up looking silly themselves? :wtf:
Wroom wroom

Morteza

Via @MercedesAMGF1 and @AlbertFabrega
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

KiLLu12258
KiLLu12258

djones wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 10:13

do you read something about 0,3sec?