2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
RZS10

Re: 2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

Wasn't he stuck somewhere at the exit of corner 16 with the recovery crew working roughly in the area where Verstappen ended up after being taken out by Vettel?

That SC was absolutely necessary - you can't have people in a gravel trap at the run-off area of a heavy braking zone ffs

NathanOlder

zeph wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 23:44
I’m watching the race now, I ff-ing hate race control for that totally UNNECESSARY safety car. Giovinazzi’s car was lightyears away from the track, what BS.

This really screws up Bottas and Leclerc who were both doing a stellar job against Hamilton and Verstappen respectively.
definitely should have been a VSC, I thought this was the whole reason to have it in the first place!?

I wouldn't say it was lightyears away from the track though, If 1 car managed to get there, another can.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

RZS10 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 00:02
Wasn't he stuck somewhere at the exit of corner 16 with the recovery crew working roughly in the area where Verstappen ended up after being taken out by Vettel?

https://i.imgur.com/KxdM48a.png

That SC was absolutely necessary - you can't have people in a gravel trap at the run-off area of a heavy braking zone ffs
VSC would have been just fine. still would have handed Ham the lead though.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

TAG

For something completely different... What the hell was up with the camera coverage? There were gaps in switching from one corner to the next that left what felt like a second without a car on the screen. Don't recall this at previously here.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

NathanOlder

yeah i noticed that a couple of times. at the end of the Wellington straight a few times, took an age for the cars to come in to shot
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

ispano6

komninosm wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:57
ispano6 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:39
siskue2005 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:23

Bottas would have been overtaken by Lewis without the SC... Bottas surely needed two stops, while Lewis was out there stretching it already to a one stopper for him, so Lewis overtaking him was inevitable. we were robbed of a fight between those two with the SC
Bottas was screwed by strategy not SC. I never said Bottas was robbed by the safety car.
Max was robbed by Vettel. Bottas, well, by his own team and strategy.
Hamilton was gifted an easy win without a fight at the end.
Leclerc assumed 3rd with Max getting punted by Vettel.
I'm pretty sure you said:
ispano6 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 18:26
It could have been an EPIC British GP but no, it was another one determined by "luck" of safety car and how it completely rearranges the competitive order. Giovinazzi again showing his quality and effectively ruining a great race and ofcourse Vettel's late desperation move also was just that. Trying way too hard and late into that corner.
An anti-climactic end that I reckon many of the crowd felt robbed.
Luck of safety car. Never mentioned Bottas strategy. Besides Bottas only has himself to blame, he ruined his tires trying to defend from a faster (more deserving of the win) Hamilton and had to pit early and go for 2 stops.
Also Leclerc was screwed by the safety car since Ferrari forgot to call him in to pit and he lost a place with pitting the next lap.
It's obvious you're a Verstappen fan, but please keep it real. Yes, Vettel was at fault for hitting Verstappen, but there was no way in hell Hamilton was losing this race based on speed alone. Even Bottas probably had better race pace than Verstappen if needed.
My comment regarding safety car made absolutely no mention of a single comment about Bottas. Don't put words into my mouth.

ispano6

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 20:38
ispano6 wrote:

Bottas was screwed by strategy not SC. I never said Bottas was robbed by the safety car.
Sorry, but Bottas wasn't screwed by strategy. The team pitted him on schedule before the safety car happened. Hamilton was lucky because the safety car happened as he was approaching the pit lane entry. But he'd made that luck by staying fast on an older tyre.
They could have gone medium - hard from the outset. Going medium medium soft was always going to be a stretch. You doom the driver to a second stop.

Btw, who makes the call at Mercedes for who pits first?

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

ispano6 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 00:19
komninosm wrote:
ispano6 wrote:

ispano6 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 18:26
It could have been an EPIC British GP but no, it was another one determined by "luck" of safety car and how it completely rearranges the competitive order. Giovinazzi again showing his quality and effectively ruining a great race and ofcourse Vettel's late desperation move also was just that. Trying way too hard and late into that corner.
An anti-climactic end that I reckon many of the crowd felt robbed.
Luck of safety car. Never mentioned Bottas strategy. Besides Bottas only has himself to blame, he ruined his tires trying to defend from a faster (more deserving of the win) Hamilton and had to pit early and go for 2 stops.
Also Leclerc was screwed by the safety car since Ferrari forgot to call him in to pit and he lost a place with pitting the next lap.
It's obvious you're a Verstappen fan, but please keep it real. Yes, Vettel was at fault for hitting Verstappen, but there was no way in hell Hamilton was losing this race based on speed alone. Even Bottas probably had better race pace than Verstappen if needed.
My comment regarding safety car made absolutely no mention of a single comment about Bottas. Don't put words into my mouth.
How about your comment about the fans feeling robbed? As somebody who was there I can tell you that I found and spoke to nobody who felt that way.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 15 Jul 2019, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

ispano6 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 00:28
Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 20:38
ispano6 wrote:

Sorry, but Bottas wasn't screwed by strategy. The team pitted him on schedule before the safety car happened. Hamilton was lucky because the safety car happened as he was approaching the pit lane entry. But he'd made that luck by staying fast on an older tyre.
They could have gone medium - hard from the outset. Going medium medium soft was always going to be a stretch. You doom the driver to a second stop.

The guy in front generally gets to decide unless it stops an undercut from normally position 3. Actually in this season so far it could easily be argued that Bottas has had the favourable calls in that regard.

As an example there was a race where the team actually told Hamilton to use the call to pit first or he would pass the chance over to his team mate (Rosberg) because he wanted to leave it so late and his team mate was getting annoyed waiting.

ispano6

Restomaniac wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 00:30
ispano6 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 00:19
komninosm wrote:

How about your comment about the fans feeling robbed? As somebody who was there I can feel you that I found nobody who felt that way.
Watch a replay of Bottas wife and his side of the garage afterwards. And the replay of when Vettel took out Max. See the reaction of the crowd there? Arms up in the air. Don't forget, a lot of these teams are based right next door and all their families are there rooting their teams. So don't go saying nobody felt that way because that simply isn't true. Hamilton and British fans got what they came for so that's good for them. Plus I said many, not everyone.
Last edited by ispano6 on 15 Jul 2019, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.

zeph
zeph

Well, I was hoping for a Bottas victory, and he was very unlucky with that moronic SC after he managed to keep a faster Hamilton behind.

HAM has a champion’s luck, it feels like this season is done and dusted.

Vettel once again showed poor judgment in wheel to wheel racing, but I’m glad he wasn’t penalized; it sucked for Verstappen, but it did have a whiff of poetic justice.

Looks like Gasly is beginning to find his footing, hope RBR will let him go about his business at least until the end of the season.

Another strong drive from Sainz, quiet pace and consistency. Ricciardo-lauded by many as a great overtaker- could not get past him.

That goes for Leclerc as well. We saw it in Austria, and now again, strong defending against a quicker opponent behind him.

All in all, it was an entertaining race. But surely Hamilton’s luck needs to run out at some point, no?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ispano6 wrote:

Bottas stated that he and his engineers decided to 2-stop. Hamilton and his engineers decided to split the strategy. Hamilton's engineers got it right this time.

Mercedes give first stop priority to the leading of the two drivers.

Mercedes did not ruin Bottas's race with their strategy, the safety car did that.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

zeph wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 00:44
But surely Hamilton’s luck needs to run out at some point, no?
If someone is consistently "lucky" then the chances are that luck is not especially involved.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zeph
zeph

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 00:50
zeph wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 00:44
But surely Hamilton’s luck needs to run out at some point, no?
If someone is consistently "lucky" then the chances are that luck is not especially involved.
Aw shucks, Hamilton is the best driver in F1, no doubt. Not saying he didn’t deserve it.

But I know Bottas didn’t deserve to lose, either. He just doesn’t have a champion’s luck.

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 00:47
ispano6 wrote:

Bottas stated that he and his engineers decided to 2-stop. Hamilton and his engineers decided to split the strategy. Hamilton's engineers got it right this time.

Mercedes give first stop priority to the leading of the two drivers.

Mercedes did not ruin Bottas's race with their strategy, the safety car did that.
Safety car didnt' ruin his strategy in reality. He wanted to two stop, Hamilton was actually faster despite keeping his tires going for longer. Bottas has tire wear issues anywhere with almost any level of tire wear. Currently the only reason he's somewhat competitive with Ham at some tracks are low deg tires.

As soon as Bottas pitted onto a one stop and wasn't able to make significant inroads Ham is 17 seconds ahead and about to stop for hards anyway. Even if he comes out just behind Bottas we know he's faster anyway and he doesn't need to stop again. Bottas has to stop again so will likely pit a second time and be at best a full pitstop behind Ham, at worst Ham passes him before that stop.

So in reality the safety car actually allowed Bottas the chance to switch to what was plainly a better one stop, put on hards and then close the gap under safety car. SO without safety car his second pitstop was going to drop him 20 seconds behin Ham(if he stays ahead over the stint), with the safety car he could switch to the one stop then close that gap under safety car. Yes he'd have Vettel between him and Ham but with that much of a faster car even Bottas should only take a few laps to get past. Safety car could have saved him call it ~15 seconds. Why Merc didn't pit him I don't know but again lets be honest, while Ham was all over Bottas on the same tire, Bottas on what 7-8 lap old mediums at the restart couldn't get within DRS of Ham. If someone stays within DRS and can't pull away, guy behind is faster, if guy ahead easily stays out of DRS, he's controlling the pace, shown even more when he does fastest lap on the final lap on 32 lap old hards when his team mate is slower on brand new softs.

So, Bottas was done by his two stop strategy, safety car could have helped him out, terrible choice not to come in which without Vettel/Verstappen crash, could have cost him a podium.